Low beta numbers

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by scrappycindy, Nov 9, 2011.

1. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

I had my confimation blood test for the pregnancy yesterday. The nurse called me back and said that my beta number was 109. She said that's kinda low and they would expect it to be higher. According to my LMP, I was just 4 weeks yesterday. She said not to worry... and when I see my OB for the first time next week, that they will recheck it to make sure it's increased. I'm trying not to freak out. I did google it, and the American Pregnancy Assn. website says caution must be used in making too much of the hCG numbers, as some normal pregnancies have low numbers. They also gave a table of "normal" hCG numbers and for 4 weeks, it's 5-426... so I'm in that. I don't think I had any beta tests done with the twins... we just did the U/S at 6 weeks to see the gestational sac. Please pray or send healthy baby thoughts. It will be a long week...

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow. Funny how all doctors, nurses are different.

First beta?

Anything over 50 is considered pregnant! So, I'm thinking she may have made you worry for no reason... Did you do ivf or FET? Those numbers can be different too.

Congrats!

3. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Being that you are just 4 weeks, you are in the normal range. I know easier said then done though. Once you do your second blood test and they compare they'll have a better idea. I am surprised that they didn't want you to go in after 48 hrs to see if they were doubling as that is more of an indication of a healthy pregnancy.

4. scrappycindy

Nope, no reproductive assistance... I'm not sure why she did the quantitative test... It's just my primary Dr., not my OB... I see him for the first time next week. I just called my OB's office to get their opinion of whether I should wait the week or have it redone sooner.

5. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My thoughts are the same as slipper's. Best to determine a healthy pregnancy is to do a BETA count again after 48 hours. According to BetaBase (which have a lot of statistics about this, it's a very good source) The average BETA 14 days past ovulation (dpo) thus at 4 weeks pregnant is 102 so your's is well in the average. Even without that resource I would say that's not a bad count. My first beta at 14dpo was 98 so lower than yours and my baby is still growing healthily. I did do repeat BETA's however and my counts doubled nicely every 48 hours (which is a much clearer indication of a healthy pregnancy as we already stated). I know people who started off with a BETA of 16 and the pregnancy still progressed healthily. I think it's really irresponsible of the nurse to give you a fright with the relative little info she had (just one BETA) and going by the count there was no need for it. I completely disagree with her and after all my issues to fall pregnant I'm pretty on top of what is normal and not normal.

I would go for that second BETA asap, really no need to wait a week and stress yourself out. Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My first beta at 14dpo with Easton was 96 and my dr was thrilled

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good number to me!!

Mine at 4w 4 days was 216 ....so at 4 weeks it would have been in the 100 or lower and that was with twins!

8. scrappycindy

The OB wants to do another check 48hours later. Which will be tomorrow morning. Praying the numbers have doubled. His nurse said that 109 at 4wks was really not that low. But, I'm glad they are checking it. I should know Friday morning sometime.

9. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

That's a GREAT number! Congrats! Sometimes it's better not to know things like this, just causes worry! Congrats!

10. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

Yup - I agree - nothing to worry about there. 14dpo average is 100 (that's exactly 4w pregnant). I think a lot of nurses say that because they aren't used to catching a pregnancy so early on. I was told that mine were really low at 80 @ 12dpo (when the average is 35). I knew differently and didn't worry. And I agree that the hcg itself doesn't matter as much as the doubling. But your hcg is perfect, so don't worry!