Natural delivery or C-section?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by coolcanuckchick, Nov 22, 2011.

1. coolcanuckchick

coolcanuckchick New Member

As with most expecting mom's of twins I am at a stand still about the delivery. My OBGYN has left the decision up to me but wants to promote natural delivery if it goes smoothly. Are there any women on here that are as confused as I am as to what to do? Are there any women on here that can offer us any advice and their own success stories about their delivery of the twins? My biggest concern is the stress that the second baby may go through during delivery of the first. I am brand new to this site and haven't found any expecting moms on here to connect with so I am hoping to find that as well. I am at 29 weeks on the doctor's calendar but at 27 weeks from conception so my due date, to me, is confusing, especially with twins because they may come 4 weeks early. I'd love to hear from you ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *HUGS* :smilie_xmas_116:
    Have a Merry Christmas 2011

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my OB practice was split - if the one doc was on when I went into labor it was going to be a section period the end (found out later due to a complicated delivery where the mother REFUSED a section even after it was recommended the baby died and he was sued - but the parents got a very small settlement)...so he was gone by the time I was due...the other doc was an older guy - completely comfortable with a breech extraction if necessary...that said they were both head down (I delivered at 36w due to pre-e), and the OB on duty that day attempted to induce me so I could deliver vaginally however it was not to be so I wound up with a (very necessary) section - more for me than for the twins as my pressure skyrocketed...

all that to say if your OB is amenable you can always try a course of labor (if they are positioned properly) and if it doesn't work then go for the section...

3. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My ob left the decision up to us, but due to the position of the babies they recommended a c-section. Baby A (DD) was head down and low, but Baby B (DS) was transverse. My ob did say they would not attempt a breach extraction with the 2nd baby. That ultimately led me to the decision of a c-section. I didn't want to have to do both if DS flipped feet down after DD came out. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

The office I went to was split also. The first dr I saw said c section no choice. Then after we had scheduled a c section for 38 weeks I saw another dr in the office who said that I could try it vaginally if both were head down and just keep my c section date but be induced instead. When it came down to it - baby A was breech and B was transverse so I had a c section. I also had a c section with our new baby. As far as the due date they do count 2 weeks before you actually conceive as part of your pregnancy so the drs calendar is what you would go by.

CONGRATULATIONS on your sweet babies!!!!!! Do you know the sexes?

5. coolcanuckchick

Hi Heather & thanks for your reply! I am having a boy and a girl!!! So darn exciting!! I only have identical twins that run in the family so this is new for us. So I guess I will go by the Dr.'s calendar then. :babyflips:

6. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

My OB said as long as they were both head down we would do a vaginal.

I was in active labour for 23 hours with zero sleep for 36 hours and I pused for 2 hours and ended with a c-section and the twins were out in 1 minute.

I really wanted that vaginal delivery, and had had a crystal ball and had seen what it was going to end up like, I would have done the c-section. I would have been well rested, and would have had the energy to care for the twins once they were born. BUT, I can't change what happened and it is what it is.

You need to do what you want to do and not let anyone hinder your decision. Its between you and your husband with some insight from your OB.

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This! :good:

My OB wanted me to have a c-birth although it was because of the things that might go wrong during labour, not for anything that was a current issue with me or the babies. This felt pre-emptive to my husband & I so we decided that we would go the vaginal route if everything continued to line up health wise & only switch to a c-birth in the event it became medically necessary for my health or that of the babies. In the end we had a wonderful unmedicated vag birth for both girls and I am glad we stuck to our guns, so to speak. Things that I found helpful in preparing for the birth were hiring a birth doula & reading lots of positive birth stories & books that focused on physologic birth & how best to promote & protect it. GL with your decision!

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi there, congrats on your boy/girl twins and :welcome: to TS!!

I had a scheduled c/s, I had a c/s with my 2 older kids so there was no question what I would do :) Good luck with your decision!!

I also agree that they start counting at the start of the cycle you conceived, so your dr's due date is correct ;)

9. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I posted a similar question when I first came here and got a lot of good responses. Many of the ladies here have had successful vaginal deliveries with either both babies head down or Baby A head down and Baby B breech (these seem to be the two conditions many doctors consider favorable for vaginal birth). Both babies breech or Baby A breech is typically a c-section.

I just switched practices because I've had one very easy, successful vaginal birth and even though I know a c-section is one potential outcome, I wanted to maximize my chances for a vaginal birth. In the practice I just left, only 40% of the doctors would deliver vaginally if Baby B was breech that meant that if I showed up in labour and one of the doctors (the other 60%) who didn't do breech delivery was on call, I would be an automatic c-section. I didn't like the odds so I switched to a practice that is more vaginal delivery friendly and where all the doctors will attend a Baby B breech (that said, I'm hoping they'll both be head down so I don't have to worry so much!).

But yeah, it all comes down to what you're comfortable with and what the doctor is comfortable with. I think asking lots of questions both of twin moms and your doctor is the first place to start.

10. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

Just wanted to chime in and say I was with a practice of docs and midwives who were very pro-vaginal, a c-section was never scheduled, and I delivered my boys vaginally, Baby A head down, Baby B feet first with no complications. There was 20 minutes between them with no issue or stress. It can be done. Do what you are comfy with.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My OB's office was a practice with several doctors. Part of my care while pregnant was having an appointment with all of them. Basically, they would not let go longer then 38 weeks due to a twin pregnancy. I wound up having a c-section because baby A was breech and baby B was transverse. My OB's office said they would only do a c-section if Baby A was breech and most of the doctors would have delivered vaginally if Baby A &B were not breech but there was one doctor who would still do a vaginal delivery with A being head down and B being breech. So how I delivered really depended on the position of Baby A and which doctor was on call the day I delivered. My c-section was very straight forward and there was no complications.
    I agree with discussing all the avenues of birth with your doctor.
    :welcome: to TS and congrats on your b/g twins. Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy!

12. praises1139

praises1139 Well-Known Member

My biggest concern is the stress that the second baby may go through during delivery of the first.

There is always a chance that Baby B could go into distress. Unfortunately, you can only have an external monitor on for Baby B and sometimes the monitors are not accurate, at least not as accurate as the internal monitor they can put on Baby A. Of course they have to err on the side of caution if the baby seems to be in distress.
    Having an epidural can lower your blood pressure and affect the babies' oxygen, but they will closely monitor you to prevent this. There's not really a whole lot we can do though to make sure Baby B does not go into distress. If he/she does though, your Dr will act quickly to get you a safe delivery.

My OB said she wants me to try a vaginal delivery if both are head-down, unless I really want a c-section. She doesn't really do vaginal deliveries if Baby B is transverse or breech because of the risks involved. Also, it is very painful when the Dr tries to turn Baby B if you don't have an epidural. Some OBs still do it though--the more experience they have, the better. I assume your OB would not let you deliver vaginally if Baby A is breech. Mine are both head-down and I want a vaginal delivery, so that's what I'm going to try. I have to be ready for any scenario though because the birth might not go the way we want it to. My OB will be ready for a c-section if it gets to that point.

About half of twins are born vaginally, half c-section. I know women who have had twins without any drugs or surgery, so it is possible. It's really just a luck of the draw.

You are 29 wks because they count the 2 wks from the date of your last menstrual period (LMP) to the time you ovulate, which is usually 14 days later but not always, and then conception follows shortly after.

13. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

As a few others have stated it is what you are comfortable with. I had a c-section, but not by choice. My presenting baby was breech so I could not have given birth vaginally. My doctor was VERY pro-vaginal delivery for twins though. Babies who come through the birth canal are generally healthier because of the 'push' through, vs just lifting out and a c-section is major surgery. I did have a VBAC for my 10 pounder who came after the twins. There are risks for both methods. These days both babies are monitored and they can do a different course of action mid-delivery. Good luck with your decision. IF both of mine had been head down, I totally would have done it vaginally.

14. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I had a successful vaginal birth with Baby A head down and Baby B transverse. My OB was comfortable doing vaginal as long as Baby A was head down. She was willing to turn Baby B or having him come out breech if necessary. Honestly, once the first one is born, you're all stretched out anyway so it's not a huge deal for them to do what they need to do! Kinda gross, but true. My twins are fraternal, so each was in his own sac. Once Baby A was out, my OB gave me a "5 minute break" before she broke Baby B's water. Once she did, he pretty much fell into a head down position (the head is the heaviest part of their body) and he was born naturally in 8 seconds. I also did not have an epidural, which my OB wasn't completely thrilled about. Because of the high risk of c-section, they wanted me to get the epi so they wouldn't have to put me completely under if I needed surgery.

When I got pregnant with #3, the first doctor I went to told me right off the bat that if I was having another set of twins they would do a "repeat c-section." When I said I didn't have a c-section the first time, the woman looked at me like I had three heads. I immediately switched to a doctor who was pro-natural birth, twins or not!

15. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi and welcome to TS!

I had a c/s due to a breech A. I hear now that some docs out there will do a vaginal breech A but I didn't have many choices of caregivers with my insurance.

16. coolcanuckchick

WOW LADIES THANKYOU!!!! Hearing all of your experiences and opinions has soooo put me at ease and able to make a better decision. I am so glad I found this website and *hugs* to all of you who took the time to reply! I was going to book for a CS but now I think I'm going to just roll with it and try for a natural delivery instead and whatever happens, happens. I had in my mind that breech babies cannot come through the canal but it's good to know that they can. I have a very experienced OBGYN so I can feel safe there as well. I had horrors of him going up there to move the second one but I will be having an epidural anyways as he insists so I feel better about that now too. It's so exciting to have twins and I feel that we are all blessed to get to have them!!!!!!! Thankyou again ladies....
    Have a wonderful Christmas & New Year!!!!!!!!
    :smilie_xmas_116:
    Shawna

17. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I have had both types of delieveries, and as already stated, you really need to go with what you are most comfortable with. Both of my deliveries went very smoothly, but the recovery for the C-section was much longer. However, I elected to have a c-section with the twins after my OB presented me with all the pros and cons of each. Turned out to be the best choice for me at that time. Many people gasp at the thought of an elected c-section, but that is what I felt was necessary, and it turns out (without going into details) it was a life saving decision for both me and the babies. However, the recovery time was much longer and it was much more painful than the vaginal. Both of my delieveries (C and vaginal) were very smooth and I couldn't have asked for a better experience delievering my children.

18. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Wanted to say congrats and welcome to TS. I agree with the comment, whatever you feel comfortable with do it. Go with your gut. My OB would only to a vaginal if both babies were head down. I had a section though as Baby A was breech and baby B was transverse. I have a vaginal with my oldest and I would have preferred to have had another vaginal.

19. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I had a c section as both my girls were transverse. My baby b Jessy was also deemed too fragile for labour. Like pp said it really is baby presentation and comfort level

20. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I delivered vaginally and my boys were 54 minutes apart. No distress for Baby B but I can assure you they will be so closely monitored for anything to go wrong and get them out safely:) Congrats on your twins!

21. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I had an unmedicated vaginal delivery. A was head down and B was transverse when I went into labour. B flipped head down when A came out. My birth was wonderful...I was lucky to have an incredibly supportive team including my midwife, OB and birth doula (and DH of course :)) who were willing to attempt a vaginal birth even if A was breech. I agree with everyone else, you need to decide on a plan that will make you and your husband the most comfortable. Ask lots of questions and get informed! GL!!!

22. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had a c-section. I requested a section pretty early on, it scared me to think that there was a possibility of having one via vaginal and one via section. Plus A ended up being breech and it was an emergency section due to pre-e anyway at 34+5. I'm glad I had a section, it was one less thing I had to worry about, plus I had a great surgery team and the recovery was not bad, I was walking around the block five days after birth. Honestly, my sprained ankle recovery was worse than the c-section.

23. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Me, too!

24. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I had no choice about the c-section because Amy had been breech for most of the pregnancy. At the time I was relieved, because a c-section seemed so much more certain and leaving less to chance, but in retrospect I would have gone for vaginal if it had been an option. I felt like I'd been run over by a truck for about 10 days after the delivery (perhaps more from pregnancy and bedrest than from the c-section itself), and even after I started to improve, it took several weeks. I think if I'd had a vaginal delivery (assuming I could have had an uncomplicated one), I would have recovered a lot faster.

Still, the important thing is to get them out safely. If my OB had said it was up to me but recommended a c-section for any particular reason (NOT just because he/she preferred to deliver twins that way), I would probably not have fought for the vaginal delivery.

25. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I ended up with a c-section. Both were head down for most of the pregnancy and we agreed to try for a natural birth, but we had insisted from the beginning to our team of midwives and doctors that there was to be no risk for the babies and that we were willing to switch to a c-section at any time.

I was induced 5 days before the due date but after nearly 36 hours of uneventful slow but continuous labour when I had reached full dilation and was at the end of transition baby B started showing signs of distress. There was no way we could get baby B out quickly enough with a natural birth (after all I had not started properly pushing for baby A yet), so they both came by non-emergency c-section. It was a good thing we caught this early enough, as baby B's stats were not good after birth and she needed some help. But she was fine if a little weak by the time I came from the OR.

My recovery from the c-section was long but that was to be expected after nearly 20 weeks of bedrest.

26. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

My docs deliver 80% by vaginal delivery so they were great. In my favor was a previous vag delivery. Baby A was head down and B was transverse though descended head down once his sister moved. He did have his hand up by his head but they were able to move it out of the way.
    The other consideration is size discrepancy. For my docs A could not be more than 20% smaller than B for vag delivery. There is concern for B being larger and not getting through the canal.
    Good luck

27. coolcanuckchick

[quote name='E's 3' date='24 November 2011 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1322181386' post='1838343']
    I had an unmedicated vaginal delivery. A was head down and B was transverse when I went into labour. B flipped head down when A came out. My birth was wonderful...I was lucky to have an incredibly supportive team including my midwife, OB and birth doula (and DH of course :)) who were willing to attempt a vaginal birth even if A was breech. I agree with everyone else, you need to decide on a plan that will make you and your husband the most comfortable. Ask lots of questions and get informed! GL!!!
    [/quote]
    Wow..unmedicated! Was it very painful? I have a high pain threshold but alot of my anxiety comes from fear of pain. That's fabulous that B flipped at the perfect time. I have worries about that too. It just feels like they are so tightly compact in there that there's not enough room for them to even move now if they wanted to LOL. Thanks for sharing ;>
    Shawna

28. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Did you ever learn about the fear>tension>pain cycle? Basically it means that when you fear pain you become tense, which does not help you deal with the pain, which then causes you to fear the next wave of pain and then you get tense....etc. There's another complimentary cycle about the positive way to deal with pain...something about acceptance or empowerment, I think I learned about it when I was reading about the Bradley method (or that other method? Someone help me out here! :))Anyway, it helped me me a lot when I prepared for and went through my unmedicated labor with my first, maybe you would find it helpful too.

29. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Honestly it wasn't that bad but I was not anxious about the pain at all. I had my son naturally as well so I was prepared. I deal well with physical pain, it gives me something to focus on so rather than thinking of the contractions as painful I focused on them as being a means to an end. I also took a Hypnobirthing class which I think was really helpful. The are so many unknowns with a twin delivery and I wanted to be able to stay calm even if things didn't go according to my plan. I had an amazing team supporting me as well so that helped. My baby B only flipped after A was delivered and I know of lots of people who had the same thing happen once the space is created. Your body is made to do this, trust it and maybe it will amaze you :).