Worst first date ever?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rollergiraffe, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

On Friday night we were out celebrating a friend's birthday at a local bar. As the evening was winding down I noticed that my two best girls had disappeared to the bathroom downstairs so I went to go see what was going on, and they had found this poor girl who had locked herself in the toilet stall, bawling, puking and so drunk she couldn't even stand up to get her pants back on. It turns out she was on a first date!

We confirmed later with the bartender that she had quite a bit to drink and her date said that it wasn't their first stop of the evening. He was so hammered that we sent him home and we took care of her. My friend held her hair back while we tried to figure out how to get her home. She couldn't even remember where she parked or what kind of car she drove so we couldn't call Keys Please. Taxis wouldn't take her because she was vomiting everywhere. Finally we busted into her iPhone (no easy task when she couldn't remember her code) and found her Dad's number and he came to pick her up at 3 am and had to carry his 22 year old daughter up the stairs. By that point we were kind of concerned about her and convinced her Dad to take her to the nearest urgent care center because we were afraid she might have alcohol poisoning.

But! The bright spot in all of it was that her date really seemed to like her and was genuinely concerned about her.. he had already texted her some sweet things by the time we busted into her phone, so I think if she remembers at some point that they went out on a date they'll be ok. I have a good feeling about those two and I can't wait to tell this story at their wedding one day.

Did you ever have a date go horribly wrong?

2. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

what a horrible way to spend time on a first date meeting a person.

They were drunk on a (first) date. The only thing to get to know about a person on a date when they drink so much the are considered hammered, can't stop vomiting, might not remember the date at all and could have alcohol poisoning is that drinking and partying is the more important thing to them then getting to know the other person. I hope her father got her the immediate medical help she needed and gets her some longer term help concerning the alcohol abuse.

The only date I have had go horribly wrong is my last date when I broke up with x boyfriend. We were at the end of the date and he was bringing me home. He did not like that I was breaking up with him so he leaned over, opened up the truck door and proceeded to press the gas and push me out the door.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jen, I am glad that you and your friends stepped up to help out that young lady. I truly hope the next time her and her date get together, they both are more sober to get to know each other and enjoy each other's company.
    As for dates gone wrong, I can't say I've had anything that eventful on a first date or any dates. I did have a first and last blind date (I can see why people don't do that) where I thought the guy and I got along well enough, only to hear from my outraged friend who set us up that he thought I was too fat for him :woah: and :grr: Obviously, there was no second date.

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Ouch! Rough night! My only worry for that girl is that she did actually drink too much, rather than having been slipped something. If you have a low tolerance, though, I could see how nerves would make you drink a little more than usual and end up not feeling so hot. I have a friend who gets sick after her second liquor drink- it took her a loooong time to realize it, too. ;)

Worst first date... I met a guy from class at a restaurant for a beer and told him that I'd be leaving in an hour to meet a good friend elsewhere. We struggled through the hour with very little in common and I gave him a hug and left. The guy showed up at the next restaurant! He came over and said hello, sat with us for awhile (it was still awkward) but after a bit my friend and I left on our merry way. He ended up at every restaurant or bar that I went to that night. Finally, at last call, he asked what my plans were for the rest of the night. Um, to go to sleep? He called the next day to tell me he'd had a "great time" and to ask when we would do it again.

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Poor girl!! I hope she is ok!!

I don't really have anything memorable about any first dates to write. On my last date (with dh) we were having a great night - we left the twins with our 17, 14 and 12 yr olds - next thing I know I get a phone call from our 17 yr old that the twins had taken my progesterone capsules ( I was pregnant with Easton) That was by far my worst date!!

6. twin_trip_mommy

scary, creepy

just plain scary.

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nancy, that guy has no idea what a beautiful kind person he missed out on getting to know! and personally I'd like to punch him in the face. What's his number? :aggressive:

Wow Jen, you all were so sweet to help that girl the way you did. I hope things work out for her and her date...a little more laid back second date is in order!

1 person likes this.
  8. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yowzer! What a date that was. I hope she was seen by a doctor of some sort, and chances are she will not remember a thing. Yikes!

As for first dates, I've only been on one, lol, so clearly it went well! :laughing: We were 16/17, so we went to the local mall. Don't be jealous! ;)

9. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Jen, you have some good friends. I wish I was one in real life! Of course, I probably would not be in that type of situation! ;)

Bad date? Umm.. not really one, but I knew this guy, worked with him. he got fired accused of sexual harrassment. I did NOT date him, but I guess the one time a year (for 2 years) he interpreted as dating. He begged me for an invite for my weddding only to come to reception and brag to anyone who would listen of how we dated but just were not right for each other. :rolleyes:

10. Rollergiraffe

I obviously don't know this girl at all, but I don't think that one night of horrible mistakes constitutes long term alcohol abuse. She was probably just having a good time, got carried away and she was mortified that a good date had turned out so badly. When her Dad showed up he was genuinely shocked at how drunk she was and had never seen her like that before and she lives at home.

We were slightly concerned that she had been slipped something only because she clearly didn't know this guy very well and she was so sick. That's also why we sent her date home, just in case. But, she wasn't passing out, just vomiting a lot and the bartender did say they'd had several drinks in a very short time frame. The urgent care center was right up the street from where we were and her dad said he was going straight there.

3 people like this.
  11. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

Ok this is a the opposite. The world's worst LAST date. lol I was casually dating a guy in college. I knew we weren't dating exclusively but it was still a shock when he told me one day that we had to stop seeing each other because his girl friend might find out and be upset. :blink: It's funny to me now because he did me such a favor but at the time it wasn't so funny.

12. twin_trip_mommy

no, we don't know this girl so we don't that this was not normal behavior for her either. We could assume she just got carried away but again that would be just assuming. And if this were my child even if this regrettably were normal behavior I would be genuinely shocked at how drunk she was. I would also not show or tell strangers no matter how nice they are to my child that my daughter had a problem. But, then again many many people can hide alcohol addiction and abuse from family. Would her Dad have found out if you did not call him. She is not a minor.

I think it is great that you and your friends stepped in to help her and I really hope her father took her being sick seriously and did take her to the hospital to be checked out. What I do not hope for is that she get involved in a relationship with someone who also does not know how to drink responsibly or possible someone who spiked her drink.

13. Rollergiraffe

I guess I just don't assume the worst about people. Yes, she had a terrible night and has some regrets, but that's kind of what being 22 is all about.

7 people like this.
  14. Rollergiraffe

Nancy, that is terrible. Do you still have his number so I can prank call him?

2 people like this.
  15. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Well when I was in high school I went on a date with this guy and hit a hanging flower pot on the front porch that was freshly watered and all the water dumped on my head.

Another is this guy that I considered nerdy in High School that always had a crush on me asked me on a date when I was about 20. I went for it but he had a full blown beard and kept getting cheesey potato soup stuck in his beard. I kept telling him but it was just horrible. At that moment I again realized the attraction would never be there.

16. Chrissy Nelson

I do not even want to talk about all the times I went out and got wasted. At my friends 30th bday party at a piano bar I decided to sleep on the bathroom floor. Stuff happens, especially in your 20's.

2 people like this.
  17. twin_trip_mommy

it's not that I want to assume the worst about her. I am just hoping that if she does have a problem people around her don't just assume this was a one time thing and not get her the help she might really need.

18. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wish I had friends like yours Jen! I've totally been there, passed out in someone's bathtub once, when I was in high school, passed out on some stranger's couch when I was in college (the party was next door, I have no idea how I ended up on the neighbor's couch), oh man oh man. I hope her hangover wasn't too bad. When I was 22, I was working 40+ hours a week, in school full time, and drunk or high whenever I could be. Which happened to be weekends. Dang I wish I could go back, just for a few hours on a Friday night. I miss pot. :lol: Alcohol just isn't as good as weed.

I doubt she has a drinking problem. She was probably nervous, he was probably nervous, and alcohol makes you relax. I think she might have relaxed too much.

5 people like this.
  19. twin_trip_mommy

Stuff happens but not like this and not for everyone.

I grew up with an alcoholic. It was not a great experience. I also had family and friends who drank way to much for fun. I am thankful it never became something I did or needed to do to celebrate anything. It did NOT look like fun watching from the outside. I still do not understand how being sloshed out of your mind not caring about who you hurt or maybe not coherent enough to know you are hurting those around you could do for someone. Or being so drunk you do not care where you slept or how you might get home did for people. Drinking that much might in some way be fun for the person doing it but it is not for those around them.

20. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Well obviously she was a victim of bad parenting. Jen--you should have lectured the dad about not teaching her better.

That was sarcasm.

No matter her reasons, she had a horrible night. Jen, you were great for making sure she got someplace safe. If they do go out on a second date, they will have something to talk about for a while.

It's been too long since my last first date.

6 people like this.
  21. Rollergiraffe

Not our first date by a long shot, but Kris left me passed out in a hotel hallway in a resort in Venezuela. He had to pee, let the door shut behind him and only realized it afterward. Eventually he dragged me back in and laid me down in the bathroom and I puked in the bidet. His payment for that was having to clean out the bidet because the maids wouldn't touch it.

I had too much fun in my 20's and still do from time to time. I know that living with an alcoholic can colour your experience of alcohol and survivors of that situation can think that all interactions with alcohol are scary. I get that. But other people have a different experience with it and genuinely get some enjoyment out of letting loose sometimes. My friends meet regularly, but none of us get drunk in front of our kids and never when we are at home in charge of them.

Like I said, I don't know this girl at all, but I do know that she lives with her dad and he was genuinely shocked and concerned about her. I know that she was horribly embarrassed. I know her date was a very nice guy who was really concerned about her and checked in to make sure she was safe and sound. She had a bad night, and she was lucky my friends found her. I would bet she never drinks on a first date ever again!

1 person likes this.
  22. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Jen - after a night like that I don't know that I would EVER drink again period LOL!!!

I don't think I ever had a really bad first date - some strange ones, some that took absolutely hilarious turns (internet dating in 2000 was NOT what it is today LOL) but Tony and I had a first date that ever ended!

23. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Once in college (under 21) I was at someone's house with friends and drank too much. I remember some of the night, but woke up the next morning on the couch. It *could* have been a bad situation but no one took advantage of me. I was more embarrassed than anything. I am not a big drinker. I enjoy a glass of wine every now and then.

24. Chrissy Nelson

And I live with an alcoholic. Just because this girl had 1 bad night it is very hard to assume she has a drinking problem. I go out with my girlfriends at least 1 time a month. We always have a DD and every once in awhile one of us will get out of hand. We all always have a great time and are responsible mothers.

2 people like this.
  25. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

Got to sew your wild oats somehow :) If I was accused of having an alcohol problem every time I ended up in a bathroom puking and crying (pre-twins of course), then I would have been the most frequented member of AA. We learn best from our mistakes

6 people like this.
  26. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Are we telling "where we slept" stories? How about this- my sophomore year in college I got a brand new Civic. I LOVED that car and had to save up half in order to get my dad to help me buy it. The weekend of dorm move-in somebody scratched up the driver's side door (probably brushed it while carrying boxes). I was so upset. Later that week I came back from a frat party and decided that I needed to "protect" my car, so I laid down in the grass in front of it! I was awoken a few hours later by campus PD and written a ticket for public intoxication. It's a wonder they didn't get me for underage drinking as well!

I had an incredibly fun and alcohol-fueled college experience. I still love my beer, drink too much every once in awhile, and periodically embarrass myself (Skinny dipping on girls' weekend?? AFTER having twins??). It's all in good fun and I'm certainly not an alcoholic. As Chrissy said, it's not something I do when there's a chance my children would need me.

6 people like this.
  27. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

In high school a met a guy at church. He and I were both shy, but he we talked a little and he was really cute. So, when he asked me to go to the movies I was excited. When he asked me to see Titanic on Valentines day, I was over the moon! Too bad he didn't realize it was Valentines Day! Then, we got to the theater and the line was a mile long. We ended up standing in line for 3 hours. That is when I realized just how shy he was, because we barely said a word the entire time! I'd try to start a conversation and it would flop. He seemed perfectly happy just standing there silently.

I was miserable by the end of the date, but he actually asked me out again! :nea:

28. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

That sounds SO boring!!!!

29. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

30. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

That was nice of you and your friends to help her out. I remember lots of similar nights when I was in my early 20's...being totally drunk, puking, not knowing where I was...LOL I grew out of it though. I think a lot of people go through similar stuff when they are that age.

As for worst dates, I met this guy on an online dating site. When he showed up, he looked nothing like his picture. Then for the first 20 minutes he proceeded to rant about his ex-gf. Greaaaat. Then he had no plans about what to do so we wound up at his friends house, sitting around, doing nothing for about an hour. We decided to rent a video after that and all during the movie, his friend kept texting him wanting us to go to some party. I didn't want to go and kept saying so. After he kept harrassing me I finally agreed. When we got there it was a bunch of high schoolers hanging out drinking around a bonfire! (I was like 22 at the time). I said NO WAY, take me home. He was so mad I made him leave he was speeding me home and got pulled over by a cop and had to take a breathalizer test. It was actually pretty funny, I thought, well that's what he deserves! Finally I got home and was like, thank god. Then, like a year later, the guy found me on myspace and sent me a message saying "sorry the first date didn't turn out so well, maybe we could try it again." Not a chance in hell! LOL

31. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's been so long since I've dated that it's hard to remember but I can still think of a few. When I was in high school this guy who wasn't in my circle of friends walked up to me, out of the blue, and very politely asked me on a date so I had to say yes. I thought it was so sweet of him to ask and was so flattered. We went out for dinner and then he brought me to his friend's house, where he spent the rest of the night trying to find weed. I remember him being on the phone until I finally asked to just go home. I don't know if he thought that's what I was in to or what but I remember being extremely bored and then he showed up at my house the next day. There was no second date. He is my friend on FB and is an attorney now.

1 person likes this.
  32. ~Laura M~

~Laura M~ Well-Known Member

Wow! That was awesome of you to help her out.

33. Tonadel

Tonadel Member

I agree. Because of situations like this I started finding my dates online, and my experience has been nothing but good so far. I use https://www.fatflirt.com because I'm pretty chubby, and people there are wonderful. I think it's a good choice for anyone with a voluptuous body who wants to find a good partner.