Talk to me about stand mixers

Discussion in 'General' started by miss_bossy18, Mar 24, 2012.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What do you like about yours? What features do you use all the time? What do you wish yours did?

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I have a kitchenaid mixer. It was a gift. I like it but since I do not do a lot of baking, do not use it too much. I have an add-on shredder which is nice. :) Bowl is big so I can mix up two batches of choc. chip cookies at once with no problems.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also have a Kitchen Aid mixer that is primarily used for baking and making homemade mashed potatoes. I am sure it has features that are awesome that I don't use. I like the fact that it can mix on it's own while I do something else. For what I use it for, I have no wishes that it did anything else.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Mine is a KitchenAid too, and I love it. I use it for pizza dough, cookies, mashed potatoes, and making whipped cream. It does everything I could want, and I like that I can buy add ons for grinding meat, shredding cheese, etc. The splash guard is helpful so that flour doesn't spill out everywhere when pouring in. Everything I've read says it's worth spending the money on a KitchenAid (the professional series) because it's the only stand mixer you'll ever buy. The lesser priced ones have motors that will blow out in a few years.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a kitchenaid too, not a pro just the standard and I love it. I do hate that it's soooo heavy though, so I leave it on my counter even though I don't really have the space to leave it out.

I use it for cakes, cookies, icing, mashed potatoes...etc. I have the attachments for grinding meat, and two other ones I can't think of what they are now, but I rarely use them. Mine gets used about once a week. I got a great deal at costco on it and it was well worth it.

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I also have a Kitchen Aid, and have had it since before the twins were born, so at least 7 years. I've never had a problem with it and use it on a weekly basis. I don't have any of the attachments, though.. maybe I should look into them!

7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We are on our second Kitchen Aid. After about a decade, it started leaking oil or grease. It still worked, but that was annoying so we got a new one. I love it. It does everything I need it to do, and you can buy attachments to do things you never thought you'd need to do.

8. miss_bossy18

This is probably not a good thing. ;)

Well it sounds like Kitchen Aid is clearly the front runner. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I have no attachments. Turns out I don't have a lot of need to make my own pasta or grind my own meat. Some of them are cool though.

10. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a KitchenAid, too. I like the splash guard for flour and powdered sugar. I had no idea there is a cheese shredder- I really want that, now!

1 person likes this.
  11. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I have a kitchenaid also and I love it for making bread, baked goods, anything requiring a batter etc. i have the professional one. We bought it from Costco 8 years ago and it still works perfect. Love the whisk for making homemade whipped cream/icings. It is 1 of 3 appliances allowed to stay out on the counter.

12. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I just got my Kitchen Aid for Christmas and I use it when I make my cakes and icing. I also use it for big baking days. But I don't use it everyday. I still use my hand mixer for little jobs. I haven't bought any attachments yet, but if I were I really want the pasta attachments (which I will probably never get), or the ice cream maker attachment.

13. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I heart my kitchen aid! We got it right after we got married, so its almost 12 yrs old and it still works great. On thing we especially love is the bread hook. When dh makes bread you can kneed it in the mixer! I mostly use it for baking cakes, cookies, etc. it's heavy so it has a dedicated spot on my counter, but I use it enough that it deserves that spot.

14. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a Kitchen Aid as well and I love it. Very sturdy and I use it a lot.

On a side note, my mom has had the same Hamilton Beach stand mixer since she got married in 1959 and it still works perfectly.

15. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Oh! How did I forget? I have the pasta attachment for my KitchenAid and it's awesome. We haven't made pasta in awhile, but it's so much fun to do. And the dough hook is super cool too - I barely knead our pizza dough or breads because the hook does all the work.

16. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

We are talking about getting this attachment. DH wants to make gluten free ravioli for me. :wub: I have the KitchenAid Pro and love it! Worth every penny.

17. Utopia122

The kitchen Pro is what I have as well. All this talk about pasta makes me want the attachments even more! Does anyone know if you can buy just one at a time instead of all of them together. All of them is quite the investment at one time.

18. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have the kitchen aid pro 6 quart mixer. I have had it for 10 years. In my last house I used it at least once a week. I hate my kitchen so it does not get used as much, but it sits on my counter. I'm going to use it after dinner to make banana bread with the girls.

I have the pasta roller attachment. I don't know if that was worth the price, since i probably have only used it a handful of times and the last time i used it, the pasta did not come out okay.

19. Mama_Kim

I would think you probably can. What other attachments are there? I have the meat grinder attachment but I've never even opened the box. It came free as part of a rebate when I bought mine.

My next major appliance purchase is going to be a Vitamix. I want one so badly.

20. Danibell

I love the meat grinder attachment. When I make beef or pork roast, I grind up the leftovers for sandwich meat. With beef, I grind up pickles or use relish, add mayo and mustard to it. Pork roast, I just mix some mayo in it. The kids LOVE it for sandwiches.

21. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I have a Bosch and I love it. It's an older one... my MIL found it at Goodwill minus the bread hook and mixing beaters which I ordered online. I would guess it's at least 20 years old, maybe more. It looks just like the one my mom had when I was a kid 30 years ago. I use it all the time (mostly for bread) and have had it for over 10 years. It's a total workhorse, and can do bigger batches of bread than the standard size Kitchen Aid my friends have. The thing I love about it vs. most stand mixers is that it's short and will fit in a drawer or cabinet much more easily and doesn't have to take up permanent residence on my counter. It's not nearly as cute as a bright red Kitchen Aid, but then that's not the reason I have it. The only attachment I have for it is a blender.

22. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my mother has a KitchenAid professional also - I will inherit that sucker!!!

anyway we make homemade pierogies several times a year and the pasta roller is indispensable - we can do 12 dozen in a matter of an hour or so with the roller!

23. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Kitchen Aid pro here, too. LOVE it. I never thought I wanted or needed one, but my inlaws bought it for me for Christmas one year & I use it several times a week. You can mix anything in that thing with no worries about overworking the motor. One thing, make sure you have space to leave it on your counter. They are really heavy & if I had to lug it out of a cabinet every time I wanted to use it, I probably wouldn't use it very often. Costco often has them for a good price.

1 person likes this.
  24. miss_bossy18

So on a whim, I just checked the air miles website. They have the KitchenAid® Professional 600TM Series 6-Quart Lift Bowl Stand Mixer (love copy & paste) for 4500 air miles. Guess who's getting a new stand mixer! :smilie_xmas_116:

6 people like this.
  25. Danibell

:clapping: you won't regret it! I do really wish I had the Pro one, but it was out of our budget, and I'm quite happy with my regular one (although i wish the bowl was bigger!) ;)

26. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I still can't believe what I'm reading....I guess I'm the only one that ever has anything break. First it was my double ovens and now the Kitchen Aid. My broke within a year. I had the professional 6 qt. I used it all the time for making bread, now it's a huge lump off metal and plastic in the corner of my counter. It's probably going to cost as much to fix it as it would to replace it. I loved it while it lasted. Oh and by the way make sure where you purchase yours offers a warranty.

27. Mama_Kim

Yes to the bolded. I can barely move it just on the counter. But it is a true workhorse!

28. Mama_Kim

Oh Rachel, enjoy!!!! :clapping:

29. Utopia122

You'll love it! The one thing about the PRO...check the type of whisk and hook that you will be getting. I have the burnished metal ones, and you can not put those in the dishwasher (the bowl you can since it is stainless steel). It's not that big of a deal for me, and I have no clue why you can't put them in the washer because I never had, but just thought I would throw that in there. The white ones you can, the burnished metal ones you can't.

30. Danibell

I threw my metal mixer into the dishwasher and it looks almost tarnished now, it's not bright anymore. I also had to scrub some blackened stuff off of it. I've never throw it in the dishwasher again! ;)