PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by momof5, Apr 6, 2012.

1. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

When I am home Emma only nurses, she doesn't get bottles. She is 3 months old now. When I am at work, I pump 3 times during my 12 hour shift. By the time I go home in the morning I have 8-9 ounces. Isn't that way too little to get after pumping every 4 hours for 12 hours? My paranoia about low supply is freaking me out which is probably causing low supply! Advice?

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:hug: Some people just do not pump well. Watch her for wet diapers & gaining weight. In our stickies there is a video about massaging your breasts to get more milk out. It really helped me when I was exclusively pumping for my youngest.

1 person likes this.
  3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I couldn't ever pump very much. I comforted myself with the fact that a baby can get out 3 times as much as a pump. I second Jackie's suggestion, too, on the sticky videos. The Jane Morton Hands On Pumping technique doubled my supply.

4. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

I'd also check your pump for any worn or cracked pieces & parts. Make sure you are double pumping 10-15 minutes (while massaging). For some women, stopping halfway through to massage the breast and then restarting again can help. Warm compresses, a glass of tea or water, something to take your mind off the bottles. Keep the no bottles rule when you are home with the baby. The last thing to consider is the flange size, hows the fit? Some women need to change sizes as time goes on..

5. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me where the vidoes are? I am having trouble finding them. Thank you all so much!

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here's the Jane Morton video: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html :good:

7. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

Thank you!!!! I must be an idiot because compression and massaging does nothing for me.

8. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I have never ever been able to get much out with a pump - any pump. I have always worried about low supply. I watch Easton's diapers. I actually only buy Pampers swaddler diapers because they have the stripe on the front that turns blue when wet - the blue makes me feel good!

1 person likes this.
  9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I use those for little babies (like the one I'm nursing right now :lol:) until I'm good and sure they have the hang of nursing.

10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I still use them on East, he is 8 months old has the hang of nursing and eats baby food LOL!!!! He is a tiny little fella! I even called Pampers to see if they would extend the Swaddler size past 2-3 LOL!!

11. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

You may want to consider renting a hospital grade pump. My hospital Medela was far more effective than my store bought Medela, especially in the beginning. I think I rented one for 5 or 6 months, before switching exclusively to my pump n go. I also found it difficult to completely relax and pump at work at first. Believe it or not, I found that I actually pumped better if I pumped while continued to work my desk job behind a locked private office door. I lost the stress of watching the clock for my "break." Plus, I would get wrapped up in someting, lose track of time, and end out pumping sometimes 20+ mintes. I got so comfortable, I would even take conference calls (not on speaker phone) while pumping. Only one person ever asked what that noise was. I blamed a nearby "vaccuum."