iPod Touch for 8 Year Olds

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by BellaRissa, May 21, 2012.

1. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

My sweet girls never play with toys...never have....so buying birthday presents presents a problem :rotflmbo: 8 seems a little young for an iPod but they have asked for one. I was looking & saw that the 8g was about the price range I was looking for....is this inadequate for using it for music, books & a few games? If your child has the iPod..do they use it regularly?

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

my girls use their ipod touchs all the time. They can facetime with my BIL's and my sister. They can send emails to their friends and family. You can control what games you put on it.

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

All 3 of my boys have them, they just upgraded at Christmas and gave their 8g ones to the twins(5) all of my kids LOVE them. If I were you, I would get them!!

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

my 6 year olds share theirs and have since they were 5...you can put the apps on it you feel are appropriate and password protect it so they can't download anything...

there are also the Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet that are also an e-reader...my IL's got the kids Kindle Fire's for their birthday...

an 8G is fine -

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

My four year olds have them. I think your girls would love them. 8G is fine (and teaches space budgeting).

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

You can fit a lot on an 8g. Like meantioned it teaches limits

7. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

My girls were 5 and 6 (twins) when they got their Ipod Touch for Christmas. They love it, but we do have certain restrictions on what they can do. I did set up email for each girl (they don't know the address) so that they can FaceTime with the cousins, grandparents and neighbor friends. My girls like to find all kinds of fun games to play.

8. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids use my Kindle Fire all the time and want to have some of their own. Where it is an e-reader as well, they can get books and borrow books from the library with it.

9. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls use the kindle app all the time on their ipod touchs.

10. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I wish had had bought my 4yos that instead of the Leapfrog Pads they got for Christmas. I think there's a ton more they could do on the iPods. I'd go for it! They'll love it!

11. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We just recycled our old iPhones to use as touches

12. BellaRissa

I ordered them each a white 8G iPod touch today....also a pink & a purple Otterbox....I'm hoping that they will become comfortable talking on Facetime & use it to communicate with family & friends we'll be leaving behind in TX. They could also use it to Facetime David when he is traveling for business....we have a phone prayer time at bedtime, it would be cool to do that with Facetime!

13. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

I think you made a good choice! My girls LOVE face time and sending text messages to everyone!

14. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I agree the kids will love it. If you don't mind me asking, if they don't play with toys, and I think I remember you saying they don't watch TV, what do they do (besides school, that is)? Just curious....

15. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

I know I'm a little late to the party but my boys just turned 7 and have had theirs for a year and a half. They don't play with toys much either and they love these! One of my guys LOVES music and the other one loves the apps more. To answer the what do they play with question, the answer over here is that they play with each other! Ha! They also like to swim, read, color and play board games (does that count as toys?).

16. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

My 9 year old just saved up and bought herself one. She loves it! I just wish I could figure out a way where she could text me when she's done with practice or from a friend's house if there isn't wireless available. If anyone knows a way, let me know. :) I bet your girls would love it for their birthday.

17. BellaRissa

They "pretend play"....make signs, create merchandise, & play store. They create menus & use my dishes, linens, etc to play restaurant. They use sheets. pillows, etc to create caves & play artic cave or bear cave. They pull each other around the house like sled dogs, they "write" plays & stage/perform them. They do a LOT of arts & crafts. They love to make :books" out of large post it pads, make "computers" out of boxes. Today - in between Bella's vomiting :( - they have played with 3 laundry baskets, pretending they are dolphins, whales & sea lions that need to be captured & have fishing line removed from their fins/flippers. They both read and/or write about an hour a day.

18. MommyofThreeBoys

MommyofThreeBoys Well-Known Member

One of my 6, almost 7 year old twins have an Ipod touch and so do a lot of the 1st graders here.

My son who is 8, almost 9 has an IPad.

You do have to set up the Parental Controls though and the In-App purchases link.

19. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Wow, we must be mean parents or something. My almost 10 year olds don't have an ipod or ipad. They do have Sony MP3 players, recommended by the guy at WalMart to my MIL because they were soooo much cheaper, DSi's and Nook Simple Touches. So basically, the only internet access they have is through the home computer. They can't text, and won't get phones for at least another year when they start Middle School, and that is only if they start asking for them. And you know what? They rarely use any of it. Yes, they are great for long trips, but on a daily basis, they prefer their bikes,"real" books, or the Wii--and they haven't played that since February.

2 people like this.
  20. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'll join you. Mine are 8 1/2 and will be getting MP3 players soon because both of the cd player's on the radio in their rooms are dying at the same time. No ipod or ipad for them (or us). No nooks or kindles. Timothy has a DS that he saved up his money for and bought used. The only internet access they are allowed is through my laptop. And between the 2 of them, Sarah has played once on the laptop in the week they've been on summer break. I honestly don't remember the last movie they watched that wasn't in the car on a road trip. Timothy would rather have a soccer ball or basketball in his hands. Sarah would rather have her nose in a book.

We've had "techish" moments over the years, and I've noticed that behaviour was better with less tech in their lives. I'm already thinking about xmas presents and we're looking for a full size outdoor basketball goal for Timothy and a large dollhouse for Sarah. Mine also like getting that really special piece of clothing or boots for bdays. Or a gift card where they can shop for books.

Marissa

21. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Oh ok. I was wondering. That's pretty neat.