How do you keep your cool with potty training?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I am so sick of cleaning poop from underwear. It's not like I can just try later either, they're 4 and need to be potty trained for school in September... I'm really having a hard time not punishing them. We have reward charts (they put a sticker on after each poop in the potty and they get a toy when it's full), but I'm starting to think that it's not enough!

It looks like it's going to be a long Summer stuck at home because I can't even take them in the backyard without an accident...

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Is there any way you can get them on a poop schedule? Our pediatrician told us (because one of my girls is prone to getting constipated) to have her sit on the potty after every meal. Maybe have each sit on the potties and read them a story. Maybe you need to revamp the sticker/reward chart to be more frequent. Like if they have all poops in the potty for an entire day they get a treat (ice cream from the truck or something small). Good luck and hang in there.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Perhaps a smaller reward every time they go successfully. After a few days use the sticker chart. You need to break the cycle and get them going again after putting them back in diapers.

4. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Someone here suggested using a panty liner inside the underwear to make clean up easier. I had used them on days when their BM's were softer and could not get to the toilet on time.

M&M's worked well for us.

I think having an instant reward might make them more motivated.

5. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Honestly, if they are 4, make them help clean it up. As of now, its not a potty training issue as it is more of a control issue...unless there is a health reason. They are playing you. I think a smaller instant reward everytime would probably work too, I know my boys could care less about there chore chart but at 2 then understood pee in the potty meant a M&M and poop was a gummy bear. For us it also took a little tweaking to figure out the gummy bear was more of an incentive than the m&m for pooping as well! Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I had a couple that were quite frustrating to poop train! What worked for us: the pantyliner in the undies was a Godsend, immediate reward for the first month or so, showing absolutely no emotion when they didn't make it (all I said was "ooops, the poop didn't make it in the potty this time" and let it go), tons of praise and excitement when they DID make it, and time.

1 person likes this.
  7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Punishing them can have a reverse effect, I would not suggest doing that...as hard as it may be you have to keep your cool and not get upset about accidents. I would just take them all the time, also maybe try naked training-most children dont like the feeling of it running down their leg.

1 person likes this.
  8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Punishing them would not work IMO. I would go with a skittles or m&m after they are successful. It's an instant reward that they can get immediate gratification. We did money with my twins and m&m's for my youngest. (Who was smarter?) They worked. But, they did not work until they were ready.

9. someone

someone Well-Known Member

Buy a bunch of cheap little toys that they will like. The first few times they go on the potty give them an actual present, and let them know if they poop on the potty they get a present. After a while, tell them if they poop on the potty everyday for a whole week you will take them somewhere special - whatever your kids would find special weather it's out for ice cream, childrens museam, bouncy place, whatever you know they really love.

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Potty training outside is probably the easiest thing ever! Take them outside and let them go naked! They can pee/poop where ever ;)

11. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yes but then they don't learn to go in the potty, lol.

12. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, but they learn what it feels like inside when they need to go and start going. Without that concept, peeing on the potty won't happen. If they are naked outside they can learn without you having to clean up the mess, making mommy less frustrated and kids happier ;)

13. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Well today went perfectly, no accident, so there's hope still, lol.

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's good news, Fran. I hope it keeps up for you!

15. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

This!

I've only just started my 26 month girls and haven't really pushed it yet. I have a few sheets of stickers near the potties (I have about 5 around the house) and they only get a sticker when they use the pottie. I make a big deal out of them when they do do something, but admittedly it's annoying and time consuming. Toilet training twins is not fun, and we've only just started. Goodluck! :youcandoit: :grouphug:

16. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

The problem is that it's not that easy to ask a 4yo to clean poopy underwear. Then their hands are disgusting, they end up with poop under their nails, and it's a pain to clean up... frankly I'd rather not have to worry about that too.

If it was just pee on the floor, that would be easy. But so far we have two days without accident, we'll see this week end how well they do outside the house...

17. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

for those that say "punishment" doesn't work, it was the ONLY way Ian stopped pooping in his pants...I made him throw away his favorite Cars underwear and threatened to take away his computer time - and it worked very well...