Pants for skinny minis

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ECUBitzy, Oct 12, 2012.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

It looks like fall is officially upon us and I need to get my girls some appropriate clothes. They have tiny waists (close to 12m) but longer legs. Any brands that y'all would recommend for pants for the lean kids? Like jeans and such?

Up until it got chilly we'd gotten by with old jeans cuffed into capris and leggings as capris, but I'm worried that the girls will freeze their hineys off when playing outside like that. I guess I should hit Walmart again this year for the faux Uggs to help, but I don't mix well with Wally World. Ugh.

Please and thanks, ladies!

2. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

My two are tall (or average height depends on girl) and skinny (5th and 15th percentile)

We have used Childrens Place with adjustable waists-- cinched WAY in. Kohls had leggings that were fitted (not wide at the bottom) that ran smaller around the waist.

Also, we do/did a lot of skirts (can buy smaller) and wore tights or dresses with tights! Overalls works as well if they can learn to buckle/unbuckle them.

For boots: Target and Childrens Place had cute sparkly UGG like boots if you dont want to go to Walmart!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Children's Place, Old Navy, and Target have adjustable waist clothing. Are you handy with a sewing machine? (hahahaa) You can always sew ruffles on pants to make them longer, or give the chickens leg warmers.

1 person likes this.
  4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Ditto to Old Navy, Target and Kohl's all having the adjustable waist jeans. My kids are still wearing them!

5. ECUBitzy

I've never seen the adjustable waist! Am I missing them??

Bex, I did ask for a sewing machine for Christmas! Fingers crossed that Santa is feeling generous (I'll end up buying one if not). Want to come sew them for me? :D

I like leg warmers!

6. becasquared

I'll show you how to ruffle them if you want.

Kenmores are good machines. I've had singer and kenmore and have never had an issue with the kenmore that wasn't fixed with a good cleaning.

7. becasquared

You might have to look in the "T" clothes, not the "month" clothes. i.e. 2T vs 24 months.

8. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

I agree with Bex on the "T" clothing vs the "months" clothing. And we've had good luck with OshKosh clothing. Their leggings fit well and when I can get them to wear real pants (with adjustable waist), they fit nicely. That's the trouble we run into, if the girls consent to wearing any type of pants, they are legging/yoga pants and those don't come in the adjustable waist :(

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

It was ok until we stopped diapers, lol. Now even adjustable waists are not tight enough, but it's the best I've found.

10. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

The Children's Place and Old Navy do have the adjustable waist in "regular" sizes, not the T ones. Although some stores do go up to 5T and they are cheaper!

11. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls can not wear regular pants. They aren't short, but are (almost) 5 years old and in regular waist clothes they take 18 month size. I have to get adjustable waist or leggings. That's the only pants they can wear. Wal Mart's Garanimals are smaller in the waist for the stretchy type of pants. Mine can hold those up. But regular waist of any brand is too big.

It doesn't get very cold here, so I can get away with leggings under long sleeve dresses/shirts.

12. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I just bought jeans for my boys at Children's Palace this week and they have adjustable waist in T sizes. They both wore them today. 4T and 5T with adjustable. The adjustable waist was a bit of a joke. Even when I make them as small as possible they hang off them. They are both so skinny. And elastic pants like sweats are also a joke. I can't find any that will stay up. My mom is going to work some magic with her sewing machine for me. I can't believe they have gotten so tall and thin.

I haven't had much luck but thankfully my mother sews!

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Adjustable waist here too. But, another suggestion, is a belt. Or, since belts are hard to come by in small enough sizes, a nylon dog collar. I kid you not!! You can get all kinds of CUTE little dog/cat collars in adjustable lengths with the plastic buckle on them. All 4 of my kids used dog collars as belts. i need to get new ones for Liam and Rylee, they finally outgrew the ones I bought for them 2 yrs ago ;)

Just make sure you get a very slender belt and buckle, so it'll fit through the loops on blue jeans. If you use leggings, buy them a little long, then you can pull them up a bit high, put the belt on, then fold the top of the leggings over to cover the belt, keeps it from sliding off. You can also sew loops on fairly easily. Get creative and sew colorful loops on solid colored leggings, or solid loops on colorful leggings. And any craft store usually has fabric "scraps" you can buy for cheap that you can use for the loops!

1 person likes this.
  14. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

My girls have the same issue and I actually found some great jeans at walmart! They were LEI and I forgot the other brand. But they had a good selection of slim fit jeans which were perfect for my girls...long but skinny enough that they won't fall off. Oh and they are not adjustable waist pants, just regular jeans. And they were really inexpensive too.

15. ECUBitzy

Dani, you're incredible! I'm actually kind of excited to find collar/belts. That would be too cute.

1 person likes this.
  16. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I saw this site http://www.myselfbelts.com/ for kids belts.

I have been know to sew and X in Sydney's pants. She has an 18 or 19 inch waist and is over 49 inches tall.

1 person likes this.
  17. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I will tell you belts were a pain during potty training and/or from age 3-5.5. One of my DDs simply waited until the very.last.minute. to go and would not have been able to handle a belt at those ages!

But at age 7, and before age 3-- both my girls wear belts!

18. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh I remember finding this site when looking for belts for my little girl. But I couldn't fathom spending $17 on a kids belt! :lol:

19. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I actually 2nd the myself belts. They solve the potty training issue because it's velcro and was designed with the potty training toddler in mind. The price issue was solved for me because my mom was the one who found them and bought them for us. I almost balked still even without being the one to pay for them but you only need 2, maybe 3, for both girls.

20. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Add me to the list of the adjustable waist pants recommendations. Both of my kids are skinny minis, especially in the waist. I put them on the last button and we usually don't have any problems. My two are almost 5 and they are just getting into 4t pants now.

21. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Problem with belts is that it's a pain for going to the bathroom :( My daughter still fits in 24m for waist and she's 4.5. I use dresses and leggings most of the time.

22. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Lol man you never bought them adjustable waist pants???!! That's all we have here. My kids are the same as yours: skinny and tall. I always shop at children's places and old navy for them. U can sign up your email. You will get coupons. You will always get so great deals at childrens place.

However, for Michelle even with adjutable waist, she still looks like she swims in those childrens place pants. Old navy and Oshkosh have adjustable waists as well. And their girl pants are a bit narrower, but shorter then children's place. So I always buy up a size for her. Old navy has 2 layer jeans (inside layer is microfleece). Those are super warm. I love those. My kids wear those to go to park or play outside in winter time.

I also dress Michelle in skirt and sweater leggy or tights, very cute and warm. The children's place has winter boots and on sale now.

Have fun with shopping :)