Your vote counts

Discussion in 'General' started by twin_trip_mommy, Nov 3, 2012.

?

Your vote will go to

1. Barack Obama

25 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Mitt Romney

17 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. Gary Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ron Paul

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. write in candidate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I am not voting for one reason or another

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

2012 presidential election.

Who will get your vote?

We all have multiples in common but our politics stretch from far right to far left.

I know that TS has strong supporters for both Obama and Romney. I am not sure about the other two candidates.

I was curious about where the majority of the vote will go from our TS members.

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I voted a straight Democratic ticket today. Unfortunately, I'm probably one of the few who voted that way in my state, wish my vote counted more.

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Not that it will change anything in my state, I will vote for Obama on Tuesday.

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I'm still undecided. For some reason I feel that Obama just doesn't seem as passionate about the Presidency as he was four years ago, and that is really making me second guess my choice. However, I really do not care for Romney, so as of now, I'm still undecided.

5. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

Right now, my community is at the end of a long, heated debate/battle of words about an upcoming school levy. (Gotta love Ohio, and it's way of funding schools). It's degenerated to hateful comments, interspersed with some rational discussions, but more of the negative comments abound. I'm concerned that we, as a nation, are forgetting how to be tolerant. Which is a shame, as spirited discussions are a good way to form opinions.

About the presidential election - I'd love to share my views, but I have lost some respect for "friends" on Facebook who campaign endlessly but do not allow others to have differing opinions. They verbally "humiliate" whoever they don't see eye-to-eye with. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I've promised myself not to let myself come down to a yelling,name-calling, hate-slinging level. I'm staying out of political discussions for now. Although it's very tempting to point out to them why I disagree.

I hope this nation prospers and continues holding the values it held dear from the start. I think we all have to take a deep breath,sit back from our (maybe passionate) opinions and agree to disagree. That is what makes us Americans!

2 people like this.
  6. twin_trip_mommy

I did not even think to make an option "undecided" the two main candidates are so different I could not see how someone could be undecided until I read your post Rachel. That is a tough situation to be in

7. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

I am with you on this. America is about everyone's right to believe and think independently. Without this we are nothing. I wish people would remember this before they let the conversation turn ugly. I am all about political debate, surely we can do it with respect for all sides.

“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” ― Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I feel kind of the same as Rachel. I have pretty much always voted Republican because of how my views align, but I just have an "off" feeling about Romney. But I'm also not happy with some of the things Obama has done, and he definitely seems to be lacking the zeal he had in the last election. So I'm still not sure what I will do on Tuesday. I'm not sure I would even vote this time except I want to vote for our state and local elections, which I feel strongly about.

I think part of it for me is I am just totally sick of the whole presidential election culture. It is absolutely appalling the amount of money that is spent on mailing huge color ads, phone calls, prerecorded messages, etc. If all that ad money was used elsewhere, think of all the good that could be done! And I have to ask, does anyone actually listen to the prerecorded phone calls??? I hang up as soon as I hear a recording.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden. It's not even a contest for me. I only wish my vote (and that of all my children and DH) actually counted in our state.

10. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I will be voting Republican because I am Catholic and pro life.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Obama/Biden. Obama has made some missteps during his presidency but I don't think those are enough for me not to for vote him a second time around. I do believe that between him and Romney, he is the best option for this country.

12. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I can't vote here on TS on my phone, but I'm voting for Romney. My values align more with him, I think he's better able to deal with the economic needs of our country and I am impressed by the vast amount of quiet service he gives. I really think he's a good man, even if he's extremely wealthy and successful and a little stiff.

1 person likes this.
  13. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I already voted for Obama. I will not vote for a candidate that wants to legislate their religious beliefs.

9 people like this.
  14. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

We agree politically....but I have to question the wording "he's a good man even if he's extremely wealthy".....why does being wealthy confer an assumption of badness? Are poor people more likely to be good? (the populace of most prisons would belie this assumption) I know many, many wealthy people who are the most loving, generous, serving people....I tend to think the wealthy are more likely to be kind than not.

15. jjzollman

Prison population could just reflect that fact that poor people are unable to afford the best possible legal defense team, unlike those who are wealthy.

16. BellaRissa

That kind of "excuse mentality" is what got many of them into prison in the first place. "Nothing is my fault, I hold no moral or personal responsibility, I have no control over my future." The despair, the lack of hope in poverty stricken areas....that is perpetuated by the entitlement & lack of personal responsibility/consequences mindset that has nearly brought this country to it's knees. If communities & families mired in crime & poverty want "Hope & Change" then they should train their kids to have respect for authority, desire for an education, & an acceptance that they will achieve in direct proportion to how hard they work. They should provide an example of moral righteousness, a work ethic & a high level of expectation that their young people will stay out of jail, get an education & be stand up parents,sister,brothers, grandchildren & children.

17. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I will vote for Obama/Biden.

18. rrodman

Yes, the whole "poor people are more likely to be bad people" premise is untrue and a bit disgusting.

9 people like this.
  19. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A bit?

1 person likes this.
  20. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Won't say its super easy. Def not Obama...but not in love with Romney either. But I will vote for Romney bc I share more beliefs with him (except like most republicans I know I am prochoice).

21. jjzollman

Are you serious?!

I was implying that there would probably be a lot more wealthy people in prison for their crimes if wealthy people and poor people were given the same quality of legal defense. When a wealthy person is arrested for, say a DUI, they can pay thousands of dollars and get it down to reckless driving or nothing at all. Same crime, but committed by a poor person would most likely result with a DUI charge, loss of driver's license, loss of job, possibly some jail time, probation, etc.

You, on the other hand, are perpetuating the mindset that poor people have caused our country's demise!

I don't really even know how to respond to your post, Nikki. It is so full of stereotypes and accusations. People DO NOT achieve things in direct proportion to how hard they work. That is the biggest bunch of bologna ever. One of the aides in my classroom works 3 jobs to provide for her family. I'd challenge any millionaire out there up against her work ethic. Yet, she still struggles to pay her bills, cannot qualify for a mortgage, and has to make choices between fixing her car or buying her son new shoes. People work their butts off every day in this country and never achieve anything more than barely surviving financially.

If this is a representation of how the Republican party and their constituents believe...it just adds one more to the million reasons I will be voting Democrat for the rest of my life.

13 people like this.
  22. rrodman

Oh my God. Remind me what you do for work again? We aren't all born into wealth and privilege from which we can sit in judgment of others.

3 people like this.
  23. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

she doesn't have to work...

24. twin_trip_mommy

Some of these comments here remind me why I do not feel comfortable sharing much personally on TS. Why can some share general personal opinions and it is all fine but when others do it an auto default to attack personally. How is that okay?

25. jjzollman

Cheryl, Nikki's post was the first in this thread to attack. Others, including myself, responded to her initial attack.

26. twin_trip_mommy

Attack someone personally in this thread?

So that makes it okay for members to attack her personally? Dispute the ideas, disagree, share a differing opinion. I understand politics bring out deep feelings but we have all been members here long enough to know that we are not to attack each other personally. This should not have to be stated to long term members in the twinstuff club.

27. BellaRissa

The liberal left always attack personally....I'm not offended....I actually paraphrased Bill Cosby in my post. Go ahead, attack him too, I'm sure he will care as little as I do.

28. BellaRissa

I wasn't born into wealth & privilege....I was born into living by the rules, working hard, helping others, getting an education, staying out of trouble & if I made bad decisions I lived with the consequences. I do work...I'm a mother. I homeschool. I volunteer. I do judge the decisions of others...as do you & everyone else. Are you saying you don't judge criminals? Funny.....I thought criminals were supposed to be judged for their crimes. I assert criminals would be alot less likely to be criminals if they had a society that taught them to value themselves & others & didn't just expect that they were going to end up in jail because they grow up poor. This started because of the judgment that wealthy people are more likely to be bad....that sure sounds like judgement to me.

29. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

wow - talk about harsh generalizations? And drama - I can picture you throwing your hair over your shoulder and flouncing out of the room...

2 people like this.
  30. twin_trip_mommy

I went back and re read for the third time. Still not seeing where Nikki "attacked" anyone. She shared her opinions about hot topic things but she did not attack anyone, unless one stating their general opinion about these topics is now a personal attack. If that is the case we all do that every time we share our opinions.

31. rrodman

Cheryl, if you think someone crossed a line, hit the report button and move on. We have moderators for a reason. We don't need hall monitors. I'm sure Nikki is as capable of taking care of herself as the poor people she disdains.

3 people like this.
  32. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog in this fight but I don't really appreciate the generalized assumption here. :(

5 people like this.
  33. jjzollman

Her generalizations about poor people really struck a nerve with me. Did she personally attack me? No. Did she attack some of my friends, coworkers, and students' families? Absolutely. Her statements weren't general opinions, they were judgmental and hate-filled assumptions about a group of people she seems to know and care very little about.

2 people like this.
  34. twin_trip_mommy

Block me if you don't like reading my opinion when I share it in a thread I started..

So because you don't like my opinion you decided to give me this new title? "Hall monitor" nice.

35. rrodman

You're right. You are a SAHM, and that is work. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. But in all honesty, you have never been poor. Neither have I--not really poor. And judging someone who has to walk a road you've never walked is fundamentally flawed. It's like me saying someone should be able to run a faster marathon when I've never run one.

And I have no issue with judging criminals. They are judged by our society and punished. I take issue with your equating criminals and the poor. The two are not synonymous. There are a lot of ugly crimes committed by the very wealthy. I would agree with you that wealthy people are not bad people any more than poor people are bad people. There are bad people at every socio-economic strata. I don't think Dielle was really trying to say that wealthy people are bad, and it's a shame you took us down this rabbit hole of poor-bashing because of an innocent comment.

8 people like this.