Best High Chair For Your Money

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by AKilburn, Dec 18, 2012.

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

The twins had their 4 month check up today and shots and did great! Yay!!! Anyway pedi said to start feeding baby food ... We have the bumbos which I can get trays for but eventually we'll need to get high chairs, we had thought about getting the booster ones that strap into the chairs but we've decided against that and I just did an Amazon search and Holy cow there are a ton of high chairs out there and ranging in such a price!!! I'd like something that is possibly foldable bit not required, right now space is pretty limited. What do y'all recommend?

2. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

When we had to buy high chairs I bought 2 that clip onto a counter. This was small and easy to take with if we went to my parents and not expensive. Then I bought Enzi chairs,www.highchair.co.za. I am sure that you will be able to find something similar. It starts off as a high chair with restraining straps and you remove the parts as they get bigger. In the end it becomes a chair to use at a desk. It has been one of the best investments I have made.

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We have the Stokke Tripp Trapp. Like the chair recommended by mom2gc it starts as a high chair with a baby insert and harness and you can remove the safety features and adjust the height of the seat and step as your child grows. They are nearly impossible to tip over which was a very important safety feature for me, but they are not folding or small. Ours have been used by 3 kids prior to ours and will see our LOs into elementary school. They are expensive, but they are worth the money.

1 person likes this.
  4. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

We have the Graco Duodiner Highchair.

I LOOOOVE them! they recline, they can be used as a booster or as a highchair. the tray is big and really reduces what falls to the floor. the seat is really easy to wipe down. they are supper sturdy. Comfortable for the kids. We've used them since the kids could sit (even before in recline position) and my nephew age 2 is also very comfortable in them.

If space is a concern you could set them on a chair for regular use and keep the base in the closet. It folds up flat. Then when you have company and need the extra seat you can use the base.

Extra bonus i have found:
    When they were little i fed them their bottles in their boppies. NOw that they are mobile DD gets up and crawls away! i strap her in this chair (reclined) and she is very happy to finish her bottle.
    I also take the base in the bathroom at bath time. It is very stable just sitting on the floor. After the first kid is dressed i put them there with a toy and they are happy to just wait. They use to fall asleep there.

LOVE them. check them out
    Graco Duodiner Highchair

ETA - it is too big to second as a travel booster so you would need a separate travel booster

5. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

We have these Boon Flair Pedestal Highchair with Pneumatic Lift and we love them. They are so easy to clean with clorox wipes, they go up and down, now that the kids are 2 we use them at the dinner table, and they are so excited to be seated with us, but they still are strapped in there. They are on wheels, we just roll the chairs to the kitchen sink to clean the kids after they eat. They are not cheap, and they take some room, but they are so worth it. As a plus, they look pretty cool and everyone that sees them thinks they are interesting :).

These chairs are the most used baby item, and I think we will continue to use them for a few more years. After 2 years of daily use they are as good as new. When the kids were smaller, we would take them for a ride around the kitchen bar in the chairs, and they thought it was cool. Even now we spin them around in them really fast, it feels like a ride to them, they love it - this is how my DH is training them to like rollercoaster rides :).

6. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We loved our Keekaroo highchairs. They're like the Stokke, but less expensive. Super easy to clean and they look a lot nicer than the plastic high chairs most people buy. My 5.5 year olds still use them and it makes dinner more comfortable because they never had to use a booster.

Here's the ones we have: http://www.keekaroo.com/herihich.html?gclid=CLX6mrnwprQCFYVFMgodGiQAXw

1 person likes this.
  7. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I love the Ikea highchairs. They stack and you can push them up to the table or use the tray. They clean up extremely easy. I want to think with the trays it was $25. You can get a cloth insert to help fill space for younger babies.

8. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Another vote for trayless. There are a lot of carpenters around here so we had our made locally. Here is the official Stokke site with tons of info on them.

http://www.stokke.com/en-us/highchair/tripp-trapp-product-concept.aspx

I really feel like pulling them right up to the table helped them be good eaters, they were involved in the family meals. I always fed my kid when we ate (and at other times as well) and what we ate. Them seeing us eating was a big deal.

We have a tiny house but because they push up to the table they save space. And you don't have to fold and stow so it's easier. And like Chiller's mentioned, they grow with the child so you will use them for years. I personally have a very hard time spending money on something I know I will only need for a couple of years.

Oh and of course you make the final decision, but lots of pedis are now recommending solids not be started until 6 months or later, so you might want to research that a little too before you dive right in.

9. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We did the space saver type that buckle to a regular chair. (I think Safety 1st.) I LOVED them. They recline if need be, but we didn't use it that way often. And you can push them right up to the table or they have trays. We used them sometimes with the trays and sometimes without. I loved that we didn't have a ton of space taken up with a huge highchair.
    And they were cheap which was nice too!! If I remember right they were $25/each.

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Graco Contempo Loved mine! Folds up to about 8 inches wide. Height adjustable, big tray with one hand quick release and tray insert that's dishwasher safe. I could fold it up against the wall when we had company over. Just be sure to get one with a vinyl seat, not the cloth. I had one of each, the cloth is harder to clean.

11. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Whatever type (spacesaver, foldable, stackable, whatever) look for the one with the least amount of cracks and crannies. That's what makes the Boon and the Ikea chairs so amazing--three swipes and you are done! The kids manage to squish things into literally every crevice of the chair and it gets very disgusting very fast.

12. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I TOTALLY agree with this. Highchairs with cranks and crannies get nasty FAST!

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

On a related note, when my kids got older, I switched to these Graco toddler booster specifically because there were NO cracks and crevices. The seatbelt is attached to the back, which removes with one hand, and the rest of the seat is one solid piece, so simple to swipe clean! ;)

14. Talerel

Talerel New Member

I apologize for bumping....just my 2c

I got a big puffy one with all the bells and whistles - and have regretted it ever since!! My DD is almost 2 and she still can't reach the drink holders and can only reach halfway across the tray. It has a big gap between the baby and the tray so most of the food ends up on DD's lap. Plus it is an absolute nightmare to clean!!
    I think something simple and easy to clean. Make sure the tray has a setting that will get it somewhere near your bub's belly. I've never used the recline option on mine, because at 6 months they can sit up pretty well anyway.
    We have packed ours away and are using a portable one something like this https://www.evababygear.com/best-high-chairs/ that straps to a chair. It is all plastic and can be taken apart and washed. It also doubles as a booster seat for when DD eats at the table.
    Yesterday I found a useful video on YouTube, I will leave it here, Hope this helps.

15. Massato

Massato Member

Thanks for the recommendations :)