How many days of fever before you take them in

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Lougood, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

One of the girls got sick Saturday night/Sunday morning. She threw up once around midnight and then nothing. She woke up Sunday with a fever and that day it got up to 102ish. Monday unmedicated it only got to 101. Since then I don't think it's gone over 100.5, but she's still running warm at 99ish today. Should I take her in? She has no other symptoms and generally feels fine, just a pinch more tired at times. I can't remember the last time either one had a fever for more than a couple days...

2. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Do you think she has an ear infection, uti, or something? A sustained low-grade fever makes me think she's fighting off an infection?

I don't know- I suck at this. I defer to the rest of the TS crew.

3. Lougood

I'm terrible at this too! This is why I love TS. :)

She's only ever had one ear infection, and no complaints from her of other symptoms. I asked her about her throat and ears thinking strep or ear infection, but nothing else. There is supposedly some nasty stomach bug going around that comes with a fever, but she only threw up once and not other stomach issues...

4. jolcia17

jolcia17 Well-Known Member

I've never taken my kids to the doctor because of a fever. We always fight it down. The highest they had was probably 102 and once we start getting it down I'm not as worried anymore. I wouldn't take them in at 99. But just watch her. If she is acting normal, playing, laughing, etc. than she is fine. I wouldn't rush to the doctors.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oooh! That's the stomach bug we had! Minimal fever in one, moderate prolonged fever in the other, minimal throwing up for both, but not eating or drinking at all. How's her stomach feeling? Just kind of queasy?

In our case, the one that had the prolonged fever also had tonsillitis, but the one with the minimal fever ended up in the ER for dehydration and hypoglycemia. Just be warned, if it is the stomach bug we had, it's a long, long bug (like 5-7 days long.)

6. Lougood

I guess it could be stomach? She's been eating and drinking ok, less than normal, but ok. Yesterday she complained of a little nausea. Arrrrg, I just don't know.

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I always ask what would the doctor do. I was told 3 days of high temps (102+), then bring child in. But there is always that grey area which you are in right now with the lower persistant temperatures. I always feel that fevers are the body's way of fixing itself and for the most part, let it work itself. Good luck. I don't know what I'd do.

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My doctor has always said 3 days of fever is normal with a virus, if it continues after that she likes to see them to rule out infection even though it can just be a stubborn virus. That being said, if the fever is low with no other symptoms I will sometimes give it a couple more days to clear up before I take them in.

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

here's the thing - a "fever" (or being febrile) isn't considered until the temp is over 100.5 (in the hospital anyway) - so if she's running 99's that isn't really considered a fever and I wouldn't bother. If she's symptomatic (cranky, feels lousy etc) you can give her tylenol or motrin for the symptoms, but I wouldn't get too worried...

1 person likes this.
  10. Lougood

Yeah, see I know this, and technically she can go to school tomorrow b/c it hasn't gone over 99...and they say fever is 100.4 but would you? I guess I'm feeling less concerned since it seems to be getting progressively better every day.

I just worry about infection I guess

11. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

If it were my kid and the fever was on the low side, I would judge more by how they are acting than the thermometer. Just keep an eye on their food/fluid intake so they don't get dehydrated and any other aches or symptoms. In my experience, even if you take them in they will just tell you to give them Tylenol and send you home.

12. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Personally, I don't send my kids to school unless their temp is normal & has been for 24 hours. But that is just me. I hate getting that call & feeling bad that I sent them in and they got worse.

And there is nothing wrong about being worried about infection. Lila ran a temp of between 99 and 100 for a week before I took her in and it turned out she had strep throat. No other symptoms (except swollen glands which I hadn't noticed). But as long as she is improving every day, she will probably be feeling 100% soon!

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also would wait it out. The only time I've taken a kid in with a fever is my 6 yr old, who was then about 4 or so, and after 3-4 days of consistent 102 temps, she hadn't kept any food or drink down and her urine was dark dark yellow, she was completely lethargic and actually fell asleep on me in the dr's office, and then again on the bed in the exam room. Thankfully she wasn't dehydrated yet, and we were sent home with anti-nausea suppositories and orders to force fluids every 20 minutes or so to keep her hydrated. The meds worked and she was finally able to keep a bit of fluid down, although she was completely exhausted for a few more days.

If it's on the upward mend, which it sounds like she is, I wouldn't take her in and just see how she does. But I also go by how they are acting too.

This parenting sick kids is a lot of guess work and gut instinct! ;)

14. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

strep!

15. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

If they don't feel well, I'd keep them home. But the only time I've taken kids to the dr for a fever is if it's high and won't come down with medication... like over 102 and doesn't respond to Tylenol or ibuprofen. If that's the case, there's usually other symptoms too.