True Blood

Discussion in 'General' started by ECUBitzy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Who will be watching? This is the last season, right? I'm a little relieved, as the last few seasons have been terrible.

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Not me. I just read the last book and am really happy with how the series wrapped up, but I can't stand the show. Normally I'm fine with changing things for TV or movie, but this show is just ridiculous.

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It has been ridiculous, but I will probably still watch just to flake out for an hour every week. Plus hot dudes without shirts.

4. ECUBitzy

Yes, naked, sexy men is what has kept me watching. What can I say? I enjoy objectifying Jason Stackhouse.

3 people like this.
  5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'll probably watch since I haven't read the books. I think the show is like cotton candy, fun to consume, light and airy, and no substance at all.

Does anyone else think that the Snowden guy in the news looks a little like a smaller dorky Alexander Skaarsgard?

1 person likes this.
  6. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I read most of the books, and the changes get to me. I will probably watch, hopefully it will be better than the last season.

7. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I'll watch but it's gotten too far off base. I'm just sad the book series ended even if I liked how it ended

8. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I have read that this is Skarsgards last season which will be HORRIBLE. I think they have a couple more seasons in them. I cannot wait to watch all the guys clothes fall off on Sunday. Happy Fathers Day to me!!!

9. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Which was the last book? When did it come out? I'm trying to remember if i read it.

10. TwinxesMom

Dead ever after. I think you'd know if you'd read it as it completely ends the series

11. rrodman

It just came out the beginning of May.

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

NOOOO!!!! First Charlie Cox is gone from Boardwalk Empire, then Richard Madden from Game of Thrones and now they are taking Alex away. My heart! :cry:

I basically watch the show for the man candy. I think this show has gotten so ridiculous and it is the definition of a summer cheese show. What they did to the fairies last season was beyond belief and they've ruined Bill beyond all repair, the only thing I want to see is Bill die (no offense to Steven Moyer, who I think is lovely, but he deserves better. Like possibly being Victorian Greyjoy in a future season of Game of Thrones).
    The funny thing is, my DH has gotten into the show and my BIL is obsessed with it :laughing:

1 person likes this.
  13. TwinxesMom

If only skarsgard would go to game of thrones

1 person likes this.
  14. kingeomer

I think you need to suggest this to Alexander Skarsgard's agent and the people in charge of GoT. This needs to happen.

15. becasquared

Okay, the season opener wasn't terrible! Although the 15 minute show leading up to the show? Horrible. Just bad television.

Spoilers below:

See you later, Luna. :woohoo: I could do without the werewolf storyline overall, but what would happen to Alcede? I knew that was Warlow. Billith was okay, that story line has potential. I love Pam and feel so sorry for her, she's totally lost without Eric.

16. kingeomer

It wasn't their worst episode, it wasn't their best either.
    I was touched when Eric left Sookie her house and it was sad to see her literally put him out of her life. Especially since he's been her protector. I do hope that Eric and Pam get their friendship back, they have the best dynamic on the show.
    I had a feeling that Luna was not long for the world last season. Can't say I was too sad to see her go. There are too many characters in this show.
    I thought Lafayette had the best line last night. I actually had to pause the TV until I stopped laughing when he said to Sam about seeing Luna turn into Steve Newlin on live TV: "That is the most f-ed up sh*t I've seen on television and I watch Dance Moms!" :rofl: I like Lafayette a lot better when he's just Lafayette and not 'I see dead people' Lafayette. Besides Arlene, Terry and Andy, I think everyone in Bon Temps has something supernatural about them.
    Steven Moyer is making the most of the horrid Billith storyline. If it wasn't for his performance, I would just want Billith dead. But he makes it interesting. He would definitely win my word for actor that makes the most of a very poorly written character.

The werewolves are too much, but we need the eye candy that is Alcide. I hope the show gives him something to do.

Rutger Hauer played the guy giving Jason a ride (Warlow?) and an interesting note about him is that Anne Rice wanted him to play Lestat. He was who she had in mind when writing that character.

17. becasquared

Oh, I did like the fairy quads. I just knew that they would be super fast growing (the pregnancy lasted all of what, a few hours?), and that gave me the giggles.

18. ECUBitzy

Great synopsis. I agree with all of it!

Paul's comment was "that's what happens in our house."

19. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with your run-down, Nancy. I am glad they pared down some of the characters, especially now that the fairy/warlow storyline is tied into the Billith storyline. Not that it's a great one, but it's at least less confusing. I liked the quads too. I think Andy Bellfleur is one of my favourite characters on the show. Not sure we needed to add in the governor character and however the true blood bottling thing plays out, but it could be interesting. Any bets the governor is a vamp?

20. Chrissy Nelson

That line and Pam talking abouthating the beach because of "sand in her cooch" :rotflmbo:

I really still hate Tara, I am not sure what it is but ugh just go away. Not too fond of Erics sister either. I hope they get through all this BS and get a real storyline going.

21. ECUBitzy

Tonight was great! I'm sad that Terry is gone, but they did a good job with that story line. They booted Sam and wrapped that up.

All of my gripes last season are being handled and I'm really enjoying this season!

BUT (big but) I'm disliking Anna Paquin more and more. There is no way that hard body and perky boobs had twins less than a year ago. Grumble grumble..

22. kingeomer

For real. Every time she strips down, I'm like stop it True Blood. Stop.
    I think the show has improved over last season but they still have too many characters. Sad to see Terry go too. Once Arlene decided to have him glamoured, I was like Terry is a goner because he's not going to remember his killer for hire deal.
    I didn't understand with the Sam and Emma thing: a few weeks ago Emma was begging to stay with Sam when the grandmother was there. Now Sam decides to give her up to the grandma and Emma's all, "Grandma! I missed you!" I really feel I missed something with that whole storyline. Why did Alcide want Emma back so bad?
    Like the "fight" between Eric and Pam, glad their bond is still intact. The scene with Jason, Jessica and the hot vampire was really well done. Sarah Newlin is crazy and the new big bad. I thought the governor would be around longer, the "no-one can stop" Billith-Sue is kind of annoying.
    I don't think the guy who plays Warlow is a good actor (he's in Pacific Rim too) but he does have a good chemistry with Sookie and I'm rooting for him to take Billith out-even though I know that will never happen.

Forgot to add: I've been overdosing on Comic Con coverage this weekend and the new executive producer of True Blood said about next season is that he wants to reduce the number of storylines and have a tighter show, I was like "YES!"

23. Chrissy Nelson

I was at Comic Con this weekend and made it into the True Blood panel and they did mention that one of the biggest mistakes they made with the show was bringing too many plotlines and creatures in. They said even though that is how it is in the books they should not have done it with the shows. They said they hurt the show and lost a lot of fans by bringing in all the creatures. Also Alcide (sp) said that the one thing he hates is what they did with his character and made him so unlikeable.

The creator of the show said they are trying to bring the show back to vampires, humans and the town.

24. ECUBitzy

That is SO encouraging! I was obsessed with seasons one and two and then struggled to stay interested. I've really enjoyed every episode so far this season, though!

25. rrodman

They can't blame the books. They took the characters in the books and like doubled them. Then changed everything about the stories down to fundamental character personalities. They took everything that was good about the books and screwed it up.

1 person likes this.
  26. kingeomer

I'm glad to read this Chrissy and I am so jealous you got to go to Comic Con!
    I am with Rachael, I've read the books except for the last two and she does juggle a lot of plotlines, however, she will sit some plotlines and characters if they are not pertinent to the book. So I don't think the show can blame the books, it's a completely different animal.

I agree with Joe Manganiello about Alcide, his storyline is awful this season and they've made him so unlikeable.

27. Chrissy Nelson

I think what they meant by combining the creatures and such is they tried to throw it all in too quickly.

So is Sam gone for good?

Oh and I hate the Warlo character so much!

28. rrodman

There are whole factions of creatures and groups of characters that aren't in the books though. The books are basically humans, vampires, were-people, and fairies. Some random half breeds or small appearances by other types, but that's it. And she kills people off, so you don't have a Layfayette story seasons in because he died in book one. It seems like the show just keeps adding. The books have no authority, whatever that is, no steady storyline with the Newlins (basically in two books), no weird Tara crap (she owns a dress shop and is just a normal old human in the books). They went sooooo far beyond that in the shows to keep characters, give every character major storylines, bring in new people, etc.

29. kingeomer

This is true. Characters like Tara, Jason, Terry, Arlene, sometimes Sam, sometimes Bill don't always play a huge part in all of the books. So this is a show that could use some trimming of characters, however, I do hope that Sam is not one of them. I hope he's back on the show!

30. Chrissy Nelson

I think that shows can take inspiration from books but do not need to be exactly like the books.

THis show needs to cut alot of characters down..... Here is who I would like to see go. Sookie, Tara, Warlo, Billith, any sort of Fairy, all the female wolves.

I would like to see the entire restaurant get back to it was originally, I liked Sookie and Bill originally, I miss Pam and Erics relationship, I have always hated Tara. I miss Lafayettes screen time. I miss the action in the Vampire club.

31. kingeomer

I agree Chrissy. I forgot to add, I am another one who hates Warlow. I don't think the guy can act (he was one of the worst things about Pacific Rim) and I just don't care about his character. Billith needs to go too.

32. rrodman

I don't disagree. I just don't like to see them blame the books for their bad choices.

And I will say that the fact that I like the books so much makes me hate the show. I'm not looking for identical, but they destroyed everything I love about the books. But that's my bias. They can change it. Just don't blame the books for the fact that you screwed it up because you've ignored the books, you know?

33. kingeomer

I can completely understand what you are saying. It's fine to make changes from the books but don't lose the heart of the characters in the process, which is what I think this show has done. With the new showrunner talking about getting back to basics, I am hoping some character traits that were present in the books for some of these characters will return.
    Take Alcide for example, he doesn't really have a big part in the books except for 1 or 2 of them and he's presented as a basically decent guy but the guy that there's this season is completely unlikeable and for no reason.

34. Chrissy Nelson

I think they need to get rid of all the wolves too. I love to look at Alcide but he just needs to go make movies. I hate the way he talks in the show, the whole pack ugh. The wolves just need to go.

35. kingeomer

The storyline is so unfocused and I still don't understand the big deal about Emma. I don't understand Alcide's change in personality. I wouldn't have minded if the story showed the power structure in the werewolf camp and Alcide's reluctance/uncertainity about being the packmaster. And maybe showing him trying to rebuild his relationship with his father (they have a good actor playing his father, Robert Patrick, don't waste him) But they have nothing at all to do *yet* with the main storyline, so all we are left with is what is the point?

At this point in time, I would like to see the following happen (but it never will):
    Warlow and Billith fight to the death and both die.
    Eric gets Fangtasia back and is the sheriff of area 5 and is the vampire in charge. With Pam as his second in command.
    Sam goes back and runs Merlottes and lives a generally normal life. Bring back the fact that Sam and Sookie have a good friendship. Keep Sam out of a romantic relationship for a season.
    Andy is a good father to his surviving fairy daughter, come up with some storyline (I am guessing Terry's demise might be this storyline) where he and Jason have to do actual police work to solve a crime that is NOT supernatural related.
    Lafayette never uses his talking to the dead powers again. Or learns how to channel it.
    Have Jessica be her own independent woman after Bill's death. Maybe she goes back with Jason or she doesn't.
    Not sure about Tara, Nora, and Willa. How many vampires does this show need? Perhaps we see Eric set up other businesses and they go run them or work them and we see them pop in every once in a while.
    Nora could be Eric's love interest, I guess.
    Either come up with a good storyline for Alcide (maybe he starts to romance the widow Arlene at some point in the future???? I love Carrie Preston) or write off the wolves.

I think the show could be a good show again. But they have to make some choices that they aren't going to like (i.e. reducing the cast or putting some folks to recurring) and I hope next season is a kind of reset that reminds us why we enjoyed visiting TVBon Temps in the first place.

1 person likes this.