Silly made-up games

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by serranoboys, Apr 13, 2009.

1. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

I can't tell you guys how much I hate just popping into TS every blue moon. I really miss this place but just can't hang out as much as I could before. Anyway, lately I feel like I'm not playing enough with the boys. We're always at the park playing in the sand pit or swinging or they're pushing cars around outside at our house. And when we're indoors they just want me to read to them or we work on counting and coloring and abc's (they can count to ten now :)). But I feel like we have less and less play time together the older and more independent they get. We used to have all kinds of silly games that we played like dragging their big dog around the house while they held on to it like a boogie board. Just feel like they need some fresh ones. Any ideas?

Oh, the announcement. I applied to be part of the Chevy Traverse Mommy Madness campaign a while back and MADE IT! Basically they pick 5 blogging mothers from Houston, Dallas and Kansas City to test drive a Chevy Traverse for 8 weeks and blog about it on their site. They send us on 4 "mommy missions", not sure of all of them but I know one is to get your groceries done with your kiddos (they provide a gift certificate!) and another is an Astros game (yep, free tickets for the fam and snacks too!), and my favorite...a massage from Massage Envy! They also give us $25 a week in gas. IT's pretty crazy. I was super shocked that I got chosen since I had been a little behind on my blog. So I'll keep you guys posted because at the end of the 8 weeks, the public votes on their favorite blogger and that mom wins a weekend retreat at a resort in town and I could REALLY use that!

So that's what's going on here. And still plugging away at the photography. Speaking of which, here are some Easter pics of the boys I did in my driveway (ghe...tto). Have a great one guys. MISS YOU!!!!

View attachment 5396

View attachment 5397

Attached Files:

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

We definitely miss you here! :hug: Your boys are beautiful :). Kids seem to be big on drawing at that age, so maybe some sidewalk chalk and a drawing board for indoors. Also, what about a cozy coupe or another ride on toy for outside?

Congrats on keeping up with your photography! I can't wait to hear how the Chevy Traverse Mommy Madness campaign goes.

3. DarciH

DarciH Well-Known Member

This is SO weird Larami, I was just thinking about you yesterday--thinking that I hadn't seen you post on here in forever. If it's any consolation, I rarely get on here and post anymore myself...toddlerhood runs us ragged. I remember my MIL telling me long ago when I would complain about having to pick them up all the time: 'you're going to look back and miss the days when they were immobile'. Damn why is that woman always right about everything...

Anyway, great pic's and very cool about the wheels. Is it me or does two years seem like a lifetime ago when you, me, Becca, Amy, Sandra, April, et al, were all posting when we were huge preggo and awaiting our 'big days' with excitement, anticipation, anxiety, freaking-out-level fear, etc.? Were we clueless as to what to expect or what?!? Ha!

Now here I sit looking at two almost-two year olds running in every direction wondering where the heck the time went? :blink:

ps: your Easter pic's look very un-ghetto.

4. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

The boys are so handsome :wub: & WTG on making the mommy madness campaign.. sounds great!!!

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We miss you too! Your boys are so handsome and gorgeous! Congrats on being selected as blogging Mommy for Chevy!!! Keep us posted when you can with how everything goes!

6. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Hi! We've missed you!

Congrats on winning the Chevy competition. How fun! Let us know how it goes. :)

Your boys are getting so big and are still just as handsome as ever! The photos look great - not ghetto at all. Wish I could take photos like those!

No good games to suggest... my boys are big on independence lately, too. The best, I guess, that we have is riding around in the (very small) hallway in a laundry basket half-full of clothes. They call it their "ride" and love it. It's a good workout for mom, too!

Take care. :hug:

7. serranoboys

QUOTE(DarciH @ Apr 13 2009, 08:03 PM) [snapback]1271200[/snapback]
    Anyway, great pic's and very cool about the wheels. Is it me or does two years seem like a lifetime ago when you, me, Becca, Amy, Sandra, April, et al, were all posting when we were huge preggo and awaiting our 'big days' with excitement, anticipation, anxiety, freaking-out-level fear, etc.? Were we clueless as to what to expect or what?!? Ha!

Now here I sit looking at two almost-two year olds running in every direction wondering where the heck the time went? :blink:

ps: your Easter pic's look very un-ghetto.

I KNOW!!!! It's like our kids have grown up together! I seriously bawl my eyes out when I think about that time and how with every new stage in their lives, a little more of it slips away from my memory. I'm so thankful for TS and blogging that I can actually go back and read what I was feeling at that time because if I had to rely on this mommy memory of mine, I'd be in trouble.We seriously need to have a meet-up somewhere in the middle of the US :D .

And BECCA, if you read this...who are those beautiful KIDS in your avatar?!!! Seriously, they look 4 years old! Such a gorgeous picture.

8. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

My twins are a little older than yours, but they have recently gotten into liking to do the 'hokey pokey'. That might be something you can introduce.
    This isnt really a game, per se', but once one of the daycare teachers did it, and my kids ask for it all the time. Its called Round Ball.

"round ball round ball" (while making a circular motion inside child's hand)
    "put your finger here" (while poking childs hand)
    "one slice two slice" (while making slice marks on childs arm)
    "tickle under there" (while tickling under arm)

I hope that translates as clearly as it should. Its actually a very simple, short rhyme, but since it ends w/ tickling, my kids love it! I dont know whats up with the slicing, but since they are so little, they just know it tickles when you gently rub their arm w/ your finger.

I hope this helps a little. I know how hard it can be once they start getting older and more independent.

9. serranoboys

Thanks guys! Amy my boys LOVE Hokey Pokey as well. I'm going to try that tickle game. And yeah, what's up with the slicing of the arm? :lol:

10. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is so neat about the Chevy Traverse! We will definitely vote for your blog at the end, let us know how the "missions" go! That is so cool! Your boys are getting so big and your pics are so beautiful!

11. DarciH

DarciH Well-Known Member

We seriously need to have a meet-up somewhere in the middle of the US.

You're on--let's go to Vegas, no kiddo's, no husbands. Becca, you do all the planning and just let us know where to show up and we'll be there.

Oops, I was dreaming, just woke up... <YAWN>

12. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:yahoo: about the Chevy Traverse. That is so exciting! And the boys are adorable, and getting so big. :wub:

13. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(serranoboys @ Apr 13 2009, 04:28 PM) [snapback]1271252[/snapback]
    I KNOW!!!! It's like our kids have grown up together! I seriously bawl my eyes out when I think about that time and how with every new stage in their lives, a little more of it slips away from my memory. I'm so thankful for TS and blogging that I can actually go back and read what I was feeling at that time because if I had to rely on this mommy memory of mine, I'd be in trouble.We seriously need to have a meet-up somewhere in the middle of the US :D .

Its crazy that you are saying this because I was just going through some old pictures like 5 minutes ago, and thinking "when did that happen?? It was yesterday and now they are toddlers!!" DH even got all teary-eyed at the sight of our newborn boys.... lol :rolleyes: They pretend to be insensitive men...lol. We've been talking about having another (I got hit with the worst baby-fever ever when they hit18 months) but we've got a lot going on right now and just aren't ready...yet. ;) And also I was thinking about when I was logging on 15 times a day on modified bed rest reading yet another birth story and getting jealous!!! And to think you were one of the ones making me jealous...lol. :blush:

BTW the pictures are beautiful!! The boys are absolutely handsome!! I'm jealous that you get the boys outside all the time, its JUST starting to warm up here, we just took our first spring walk this evening. So while I'm a master at indoor entertainment, not much on outside yet, other than playing with snow :p Good luck!!

Shannon

14. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(2plusbgtwins @ Apr 13 2009, 04:40 PM) [snapback]1271281[/snapback]
    "round ball round ball" (while making a circular motion inside child's hand)
    "put your finger here" (while poking childs hand)
    "one slice two slice" (while making slice marks on childs arm)
    "tickle under there" (while tickling under arm)

I hope that translates as clearly as it should. Its actually a very simple, short rhyme, but since it ends w/ tickling, my kids love it! I dont know whats up with the slicing, but since they are so little, they just know it tickles when you gently rub their arm w/ your finger.

This is too funny!! My mom has done this to me since I was a kid and my gramma before that, only we have different words, less with the slicing...lol

It goes:
    Walk around the garden, (while making a circular motion inside child's hand)
    like a teddy bear, (while poking childs hand)
    one hop, two hop (hop up baby's arm)
    tickle under there(tickle under arm)

Thats funny though, how things get changed!

Shannon

15. serranoboys

QUOTE(2betterthan1 @ Apr 14 2009, 01:50 AM) [snapback]1271727[/snapback]
    So while I'm a master at indoor entertainment, not much on outside yet, other than playing with snow :p Good luck!!
    Shannon

Thanks Shannon...and PLEASE share the indoor entertainment tips!

16. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to see you! I was wondering about you. Congrats on the Traverse. I love that!!! Good things happen to good people.

So, we don't really make up games. We do pull all the pillows we can find and stack them all over on the floor in front of the couch and let them climb the couch and jump on the pillows (we're teaching good manners about not climbing furniture early :rolleyes:
    We also play ring around the rosies a lot! We put all the stuffed animals and other "babies" to bed with their silkies (blankies) and then we go get them up 2 minutes later and do it all over again...over and over. Mostly, we make up songs and the girls love love love to do whatever motions I make-up to whatever songs I make-up. Some are funny some are crazy and some would cause anyone who didn't know us to have me "checked-out" to make sure I wasn't a few fries short of a happy meal.

Our newest is "She's a nana-fan nana-fan on the floor...and she's snackin' like you've never seen before" sung to the She's a Maniac melody. This is for Greta, because she would eat banana's only for the next 5 years if we let her. She has some grocery items - toy things...one is a wooden banana...she carries it around and we sing it to her and she "eats" it and Lulu and I do the dance that goes with the song She's a Maniac from that movie...what was that movie (woman welder, wants to be a dancer, takes her bra off under her shirt while eating crab...anyone?) Dang it! Mommy-brain. Anyway, I have noticed that when I repeat the motions they will start to learn them and our songs become games. We have "dancey dancey" time everyday and they chose the songs by singing the first word or starting the motions and then I know what song they want.

I'll check in on the blog....we've been looking at the Traverse!

17. serranoboys

QUOTE(girls! @ Apr 14 2009, 03:35 AM) [snapback]1271911[/snapback]
    Our newest is "She's a nana-fan nana-fan on the floor...and she's snackin' like you've never seen before" sung to the She's a Maniac melody. This is for Greta, because she would eat banana's only for the next 5 years if we let her. She has some grocery items - toy things...one is a wooden banana...she carries it around and we sing it to her and she "eats" it and Lulu and I do the dance that goes with the song She's a Maniac from that movie...what was that movie (woman welder, wants to be a dancer, takes her bra off under her shirt while eating crab...anyone?) Dang it! Mommy-brain. Anyway, I have noticed that when I repeat the motions they will start to learn them and our songs become games. We have "dancey dancey" time everyday and they chose the songs by singing the first word or starting the motions and then I know what song they want.

Oh, Liesel how I've missed stories like this! It's Flashdance and it's awesome. And I've tried countless times to perfect that fast-feet, head spin dance but it's a doozey! the thought of a mom and her two toddlers doing this has seriously made my day. I love the pillow idea by the way. Mine have developed a fondness for jumping on the couch and then plopping down on their bums which tend to land 2 milimeters from the edge. Thanks for sharing these and it's great to see you as well :D

18. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Hey!! I'm just now seeing this post -- how cool about the Traverse blog! I can't wait to read about your experiences. That's awesome that you got selected -- and I really hope you win the retreat!

The boys are as cute as ever, and your photos are getting really, really good. I'm impressed with counting to 10....this is how Karina counts: "(holds up one finger), twoooo, six, six, six, SIX!, (holds up ten fingers), yay! (claps)." LOL! It reminds of Monica on Friends describing the order in which her erogenous zones should be touched....which makes me laugh. Okay, so that's disturbing.

Anyhow, games, hmm. We just do the basics -- ring around the rosie, chase (Kevan likes to run away and cackles madly every time I ask him to get in his chair), tickle at the end of the ABC's ("now I've sung my ABC's, and it's time to.....TICKLE ME!"), lots of different hand motions to songs like the PP mentioned.

Another favorite is to throw every toy we can find into the pop-up tent, and then all three kids get in there and horse around. (Well, it's their favorite, not mine.) We also do "marching band" -- everyone gets an instrument (we have triangles and maracas and drums, you name it) and plays and marches along single-file through the house. Usually we sing When the Saints Go Marching In for this, but sometimes it's Take Me Out to the Ballgame or You're a Grand Old Flag. The little ones love it.

Thank you for the comment about my avi! Yeah, I can't believe how freaking HUGE they are, Karina especially. I posted a handful of pics on the Easter pictures thread that I think has scrolled to page 2, and also on FB.

QUOTE(DarciH @ Apr 13 2009, 06:44 PM) [snapback]1271495[/snapback]

You're on--let's go to Vegas, no kiddo's, no husbands. Becca, you do all the planning and just let us know where to show up and we'll be there.

Yes, YES! I am serious, I would love to plan a meet-up, either with kids or without! I think you're near April -- isn't she in Seattle? Okay, let's take this discussion to the buddy club, or to Facebook...I'm on it! :)

I was just mentioning you guys in the "have you made any real friends here" thread on PC... :wub:

19. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

QUOTE(serranoboys @ Apr 14 2009, 05:54 AM) [snapback]1272178[/snapback]
    Oh, Liesel how I've missed stories like this! It's Flashdance and it's awesome.

Flashdance! DUH! How could I forget that movie name...I swear I've lost it. It's great to see you too!

20. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DarciH @ Apr 13 2009, 04:44 PM) [snapback]1271495[/snapback]

Ok... so I didn't find TS until my girls were four or five months old, but if I had found it... I would have been pregnant at the same time as y'all and telling you how huge and achy I was. So can I come to Vegas too? Please please please? I will even help Becca with the planning! :D

Tricia

21. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(idril @ Apr 14 2009, 11:55 AM) [snapback]1272413[/snapback]
    Ok... so I didn't find TS until my girls were four or five months old, but if I had found it... I would have been pregnant at the same time as y'all and telling you how huge and achy I was. So can I come to Vegas too? Please please please? I will even help Becca with the planning! :D

Tricia

Definitely! I would love to meet all you guys -- I'm on it. :)

22. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

A meet up? In Vegas? Me too, me tooo! :)

23. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

Your boys are adorable. And that is so awesome about the Chevy Traverse. I drove one back in January after my car got totalled and loved it! but it was too expensive. My girls are quite a bit younger, so we don't have a lot of good games, but here is what we do: Roll balls back and forth to each other, dance to whatever music is playing (I even let them dance on the coffee table), play hide and go seek (they love this!). We are learning our body parts, so we practice those alot. You could probably try patty cake type games.

24. serranoboys

[SIZE=36pt]VEGAS BABY!!!!![/SIZE]

Sorry. Just always wanted to say that. Wait, are we serious? I can't afford to go to Vegas!