Max's rough week

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ckreh, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

My poor son has had one rough week. Here is the order of what has happened so far:

1. Monday got a cold again; had one two weeks prior that had cleared up.

2. Wednesday starts tugging at ears, take him to ped and it's a double ear infection. Ped prescribes a RX for amoxicillin, which he has taken before.

3. Wednesday we give amox., then an hour later a bottle, which he vomits up all over him and me.

4. Thursday morning we give amox. again, then bottle and put him in exersaucer surrounded by a towel in case he starts to vomit again. He starts pulling his bib off and I notice his neck is red, but figure it is from pulling the bib off. Time for afternoon bottle, 1/2 later I notice his neck is red again plus he is red around his mouth. I call ped. and the nurse (my MIL) says it is from the milk in his bottles. We had started 25% milk 75% formula a week ago. I remake all his bottles as they nap. Now it is time for 2nd dose of amox. in the evening and DH goes to change his diaper 10 minutes later and he is covered in hives. Guess what it's not the milk it an allergy to the amox. On call doctor says 1/2 tsp. of Benadryl every 5 hours for 48 hours.

5. Friday go back to ped. and they say ear infections are gone, but write me an RX for a different antibiotic just in case, so we don't have to go to the ER or urgent care over the weekend.

6. Saturday I feed them cut up canned peaches, they've been eating Gerber pureed peaches for 2 months with no issues. He only eats two bites, but 20 minutes later he is covered in hives again.

7. Saturday give him the Benedryl again for the hives and he is playing, but slips hits what looks like his forehead on the standup Fisher Price toy activity center. He cries for 5 minutes and goes back to playing. Then we notice he is pulling on his ears again and whining.

8. Saturday DH grabs the RX and heads off to get it filled. I start the lunch bottles and as I am feeding him I notice he has a bruise between his eyebrow and corner of his eye. So basically a small black eye.

Our poor guy has just been through everything this week. I feel so bad for him. On a good note when DH was talking to the pharmacist the lady behind him overheard and said her DD had the same problem with canned fruit, but it was the frutose that they figured out after allegery testing.

I sure hope things get back to normal and boring :lol: soon.

2. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:eek: Poor baby! He really has had a rough week. That is so hard for the momma, too :hug:

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:hug: to Max and Mom! Sorry about the rough week.

4. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

Poor Max. Hoping he has a better week next week!

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

Poor Max! And poor mommy! :hug:

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Your little man and you had a rough week! I hope he feels better soon!!!

7. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

Poor little monkey! I hope he feels better real soon!

8. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the well wishes. It makes me feel better. My nerves are just about shot. At least the benadryl is helping, but I feel bad waking him up every 4 to 5 hours to give it to him at night. I know it is for his own good. My MIL, who is a pediatric nurse at our doctors office, looked at him tonight and said to call the doctor on call tomorrow about the new antibiotic that caused worse hives. She wants me to get at least 4 doses of benadryl in him before I call. Each dose seems to make a little bit better difference, but I just want him 100%.

With all these reactions to food and meds my mother in law said they will probably want him kept on formula & Gerber purees until he is 13 or 14 months old and very slowly introduce real food.

With as bad as his week has been he is all smiles and was playing with his toys and Lily tonight. You would think he would just be miserable. Thanks again.

9. nutty-mom

nutty-mom Well-Known Member

Omg. Poor baby he has had a bad/ruff week. And so has mama. Hope next week is better. :)

10. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Update for Sunday. Max woke up covered head to toe in red patches and large hives. His legs, ankles and feet were swollen so bad his toes and backs of his knees were purple. We spent the morning in the ER to find out it was the original Amox. that can lay dormant after the first reaction for up to a week and reappear at random. He was considered a moderate allergic reaction this morning, but one more step would have landed him in the hospital for a few days. He is now on steroids and an antihistamine. Here is a photo of just his face and hands, but picture this covers his whole body with his legs being the worst.

Our poor boy has had one rough week. We now go back to the doctors on Wednesday to make sure the meds are working. It is hard to believe this all started with a cold. I almost feel like it has been close or worse than his open-heart surgery. We feel like we have been run through the ringer. Thanks for all the support because we need it.

Attached Files:

11. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I am so sorry!! Poor Max! I want to give him a great big hug!

Couldn't see the pic, but I'm sure it is horrible! I had no idea ammox can lay dormant! I learn something new on TS every day.

12. becky5

becky5 Guest

OMG Kristin! That poor baby! :hug:

13. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

Poor baby! The picture makes me cry and I just want to pick him up and cuddle him! Hang in there momma, I know this is hard on you too.

:hug: to you and Max.