Halloween costumes

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kaie05, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever made Halloween costumes for their twins? I'm planning on doing it this year, but I can't find any cute patterns OR come up with any cute ides. I've thought about two peas in a pod but I can't find a pattern for it, and I thought about a kitty and a mouse but my girls are too cute to make one of them a mouse!

2. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Well-Known Member

I considered making my own costumes (well ... probably having my mom make them!) last year but I just couldn't find patterns I really loved. We ended up buying ours and they were pretty cute.

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Last year, JoAnn Fabrics had some cute patterns. You might be able to make your own pea in a pod pattern...if you're crafty! My mom is a seamstress and I can't work a sewing machine! :laughing:

4. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

When my twins were 1.5, I made their costumes: one was a bag of plain M&Ms, the other peanut M&Ms. It was SUPER easy. I cannot sew, except a little hand stitching. I went to the fabric store and picked out brown and yellow felt, then told the clerk my plans and she told me how much to buy. . I ended up with two long rectangles of felt, one in each color. I folded each one to make a smaller size rectangle that would basically fit the boys. On the fold, I cut a slit for their head to go through. Then I used fabric glue to close up the sides except for arm holes. I cant draw at all, but I drew the M&M logo freehand, cut it out, and glued it on.

I've attached a photo of Brady as the peanut bag.

Attached Files:

5. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

That is AWESOME!! I may just be copying that idea this year!!

6. Valyre

Valyre Well-Known Member

I'm planning on doing a pirate vs ninja theme for our boys this year. When Zach is tired, he'll close one eye and look around with the other, so he'll be the pirate. Alex likes to pull things up over his mouth, like the sleepsack, so he'll be the ninja. I'm not going to use a pattern, but do it freehand with some inspiration from ready-to-buy costumes. I figured a foam pirate hat and throwing stars with some modified bodysuits would do the trick.

Other ideas we've had are Mario and Luigi, Pete and Repete (basically outfits with name tags saying "Pete" and "Repete", they're identical twins), and the pretty common Thing 1 and Thing 2 from Dr. Seuss. Of course, none of these really help with girls. lol

I'd think the peas in a pod thing would work if you took an existing pattern for a pumpkin costume (toddler or infant bunting) and made it out of green material instead. You could even use the hat that comes with it, just in green and light green. Then dress up their stroller with felt to be the pod. I did a pumpkin modification last year for my snowman-obsessed nephew who HAD to be Frosty for Halloween.

7. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

Are you looking at patterns online or at the store? I find it much easier to find patterns by looking through the books at Joanns or Walmart. A lot of times I find a costume that will work for what I want even if it's not what the costume is supposed to be. Like last year I used a fairy pattern to make a witch costume because the fairy dress looked like what my dauthr wanted. I bet you can find a pattern for a bunting costume that can easily be made into two peas and a pod.

A few years ago my older kids were a chicken and an egg. It was super cute and I might reuse the costumes for the boys next year if I can make the chicken one smaller.

This year, I'm half making the costumes. My older daughters want to be Dorothy and the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz and the boys are going to be flying monkeys. We're moving in Sept so I just don't have time to make all four costumes. I plan to buy a monkey costume for the boys and sew little vests with wings and hats.

8. Jocasta

Jocasta Well-Known Member

This idea excites me - any pictures? Did you buy the costumes or make them yourself?

9. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I'm dressing Nate and Jack as an alligator and a shark. Their nicknames are Nater-gator and Shark Boy, so I thought this would be cute. I have no sewing skills and less time, so I'm buying them online! :lol:

10. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I made them. Let me see if I can find a picture.

ETA here is a picture http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/dowlinal/twin.jpg

I used the same pattern for both costumes

11. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

I am making my twins cosumes this year. They are going to be baby gnomes from Rien Poortvliet's Gnome Book. I loved the book as a kid, and apparently gnomes always have twins. They will be super easy to make as well.

12. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Love the M&M's and the chicken & egg! So cute! :wub:

13. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

I'm not crafty at all. Luckily, someone I work with gave me a nice super plush Eeyore costume and someone else gave me Pooh and Piglet costumes for the twins. So I thought I would have my kids be Eeyore, Pooh, and Piglet for Halloween this year.

I love all the other ideas on here! I'm contemplating doing something else now. :)

14. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

we are going to be gnomes here too! we are big ren festers (geeky, i know) so they are going to dress as gnomes for that too.. i just haven't figured out how to make the hats yet...

i love love love the M&Ms and the chicken and egg ideas! soo cute!

15. mamamolly

mamamolly Active Member

Ooh. Where are you getting the gnome costumes from?

16. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Loving the halloween picciies :wub: My hands aren't very clever so i will be buying i think!

17. angelf

angelf Well-Known Member

Just wanted to let the OP know that I was in the Halloween store today and they have some pre-made pea in the pod costumes if you wanted to go that route.

18. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

i'm not terribly good with sewing but i think i finally settled on something i can manage. we're doing mario and luigi from super mario brothers.

http://www.infendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/super-mario-brothers-adj.jpg

we just need denim overalls, a green shirt/onesie, a red shirt/onesie, and i found a tutorial online for making their hats out of felt. a couple of felt mustaches and we're good to go!

now i just have to decide if i'm going to accompany them as princess peach or maybe yoshi... :lol: