The Anything Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Twinrific, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm making this Anything thread a bit longer due to the holidays :)

What is your most prized possession? Something sentimental or something you can't do without.

2. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

Sentimental - My grandmother's paintings CP got back and gave to me as wedding present as well as my grandmother's ring :)

Can't do without: Ice-cream, does that count? :p

3. TwinRichard

TwinRichard Well-Known Member

I can't think of any "prized possessions". There are some things that I quite like but I could probably live without them.

4. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

I would say all your computer stuff is prized possessions for you - you will certainly not like living without them :p

We have a public holiday tomorrow, so we're going to my parents for a long weekend, some friends will also be there so we're going kayaking on Saturday, so excited! So to get some conversations going, I know the overall feeling but not really particulars. Do you like doing sports like these? kayaking, kloofing, skiing etc? not as a permanent hobby or anything but will you go and do it on holidays or as a fun weekend getaway? What type of sports do you still want to try out?

5. TwinRichard

I still wouldn't call them prized possessions because they are replaceable and I could live without them (although I certainly wouldn't want to for extended periods of time :p).

In the swimming pool? :p

I quite enjoyed canoeing when I tried it (which I would think is sort of like kayaking). Cross country skiing is quite nice on occasion, especially if you only have snow when you go to ski. I quite like cycling on holidays and I want to go up some more volcanoes at some point. Brenda also promised me she would go paragliding off the Southern Alps with me at some point. I'm still waiting :p

6. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

No, LOL, not to the farm but Parys so there is a river :p

Yip, canoeing is very much the same, the cycling also sounds like fun and I can't wait to go skiing on snow someday (I've done water skiing and I imagine skiing will be even more fun!). The paragliding I must say is probably one thing I won't voluntarily do or organise for myself, don't know why, just feel like my fear of heights will be amplified in a very unpleasant way :p

As long as you go up inactive volcanoes that also sounds great :)

7. TwinRichard

I suppose a river works too :p

But the active ones are the most interesting :p We went up Mount Ngauruhoe a few years ago and that is an active volcano. Granted, it wasn't actively erupting but it was certainly active.

8. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

I agree with Richard that for something to be a prized possession it would have to be irreplacable. I can't think of anything I have (beyond data) that would not be replaceable (even my stamp collection could technically be replaced since even the rare stamps are not the only ones in existance).

9. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

Most of the time it will suffice

Okay then, as long as it is not erupting (and you can run fast and have very good instincts for detecting an eruption) it sounds great :p

10. TwinRichard

It is very rare for a volcano to erupt without any warnings at all so it normally shouldn't be a problem. There are some active volcanoes in Vanuatu that are nearly constantly erupting which you can go to as well.

11. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

I get what you mean, but your computers are still high up on your list - even if they don't necessarily cross the line to "prized" (but I do think they almost cross the line to can't live without :p you will be miserable if you never had a computer again) My grandmother's ring and paintings I will classify as prized for me, because it was things that were dear to her and therefore for sentimental reasons I think they classify as irreplacable. The stamps, if not prized is also very high on the list, because if the do get damaged or lost or something it will be very difficult to replace

12. TwinG

TwinG Well-Known Member

I know, I was just being dramatic, and I'm in a giddy mood ;) :p I must admit volcanoes have always fascinated me, wouldn't mind going to one in the future as well

13. TwinRichard

I probably would be miserable if I never had a computer again but not if I never had these specific computers (as much as a I may like them).

I think that makes sense, I just can't think of anything that I have that would be equivalent.

We can all go to Vanuatu :p

14. TwinPeshi

TwinPeshi Well-Known Member

What list? Brenda asked about prized possessions and my list of prized possessions has a grand total of zero things on it :p

15. starmaker

starmaker Well-Known Member

Can't think of much other than our photoalbums, those are definetley irreplacable. Cannot think of much other things that I can't do without. Alot of stuff has sentimental value and I wouldn't like to lose it but I can do without ;)

Enjoy the public holiday.
    Never have done much canooing and I think kloofing is non-existent here :unsure: I had to look up what it was but couldn't find any information in dutch. I have never done any skiing as we never had the money to go on a skiing trip but I would definetley love to try that some day.
    I have never done much in sports, outdoors and indoors :eek: I like cycling and swimming though. Me and Frances are looking into doing more swimming together.

16. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Photos, as for the same reason as Joyce!!

17. Twinrific

I meant what possession do you value most, not neccessarily irreplaceble. :p

Sentimental: The ring my parents gave me on my 21st and the ring I got from my gran.

I'm in a horrible mood so best not to post [​IMG]

18. Code

Code Well-Known Member

The charm bracelet I received for my 18th, although I don't wear it as it is such fine silver, it is something that I can add to at important milestones :)

Hope your ok Brenda! :grouphug:

19. Twinrific

Thanks Codie! I'm just moody but I'm fine.

I also don't wear my gran's ring. I'm actually not much of a jewelery wearer, the only things I wear permanently is my wedding ring and the ring my parents gave me.

20. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Bad moods are horrible, I hope you have a happier outlook soon :)

Me either, I have heaps but don't wear it. I wear a gold anklet which my parents got me for my 16th, and 4 sleepers in my ears, I sometimes wear a necklace also but not all the time!

21. starmaker

The stuff I value also happens to be irreplacable :p

Sentimental value is still all of my photo's and also stuff I inherited from my mother like jewelry (she hardly ever wore) and two skirts (that do not fit me) ;)

Sorry your in a bad mood Brenda, hope your doing alright :hug:

22. Twinrific

I was more saying that for the boys' benifit ;) Those are really irreplacable and valueble items Joyce!

Mood is much better today, thank you Codie and Joyce :hug:

23. starmaker

That's great Brenda :hug:

24. starmaker

How is the weather where you live?
    Here it has been snowing so much, roads are chaos, so was the trainschedules, and ofcourse little to none information given. It took me about 3,5 hours to get home. It's a good thing I decided to take the afternoon off and leave early ;)

Some pictures from roads next to my work:
    View attachment 6414
    View attachment 6413

Attached Files:

25. Code

Code Well-Known Member

The weather here is bipolar, one minute it is sunny, then it is raining, sunny then raining again etc. Not very summertime weather :(

Them photos look beautiful though, crappy it took so long to get home though!!

26. starmaker

That sucks, we have had that kind of weather all summer, except even the sun stayed away most of the time. Hope it still improves for you ;)

27. Code

Code Well-Known Member

I hope it clears up, I love the rain but would love a little sun for Christmas!

Your photo is beautiful!! You should get a photo of you, Jonathan and Gilana :)

28. starmaker

I hope it clears up as well. Cannot imagine having christmas in summer myself,totally not used to that.;)
    Hoping this year we'll have a white christmas :)

Thanks Codie :)

I would love a good picture of me with Jonathan and Gilana as an avatar, but so far the ones I have don't look good in a smaller size ;)

29. TwinRichard

Nice photographs Joyce, seems like a lot of snow.

The weather here is more or less the same as for Codie :p It was nice last week but it was cold and windy today.

30. Code

Code Well-Known Member

You see, I cannot imagine a Christmas in the snow as I am so used to it being summer in December :p

When you see them next take a simple one just looking at the camera, that should look ok small :)

I will be up there on Thursday, so stay off the street :p

So my car has decided it was a perfect week to die, so off to pick my dads up from Wollongong tomorrow, which I will be driving all week while mine is getting fixed :)

31. Twinrific

Wow Joyce those pics are beautiful! I can't imagine that much snow! I also love the pic of Gilana ;)

It's been raining a lot here (which I love) but today is sunny (so far)

32. TwinRichard

It has finally warmed up a bit and today it has been sunny enough to make it worthwhile taking a photograph. Unfortunately the forecast is for some rain over the next few days.

Attached Files:

33. Code

Code Well-Known Member

:bump: :bump: How is everyone doing??? :)

34. TwinRichard

Not bad. The weather has been awful though. It should be illegal for it to be 19 degrees in late December :p

35. Code

Code Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you!! Wouldn't believe it was the end of December by the weather! It better not be raining tomorrow as I am going to a carnival with friends, it was meant to be last night but due to the rain we canceled.

How was your christmas?