Birthday Cake ideas

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by suzrod, Feb 4, 2011.

1. suzrod

suzrod Well-Known Member

My girls are turning 3 on the 8th and have asked for their own birthday cake. We aren't having a party so it's just going to be me and my husband and our 4 kids. So...I don't want two whole cakes because it will just be A LOT of cake. I'm looking for cute ideas for making them each a cake but using one mix. I'm in no way a serious baker so it has to be easy. All ideas welcome. Thanks so much!

2. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

One cake mix makes a two layer cake. So you could just do two round pans and the cakes would just be thinner than a stacked two layer. Or you can just bake it in a 13x9 pan and then cut it in half after it's baked.

Have fun; baking birthday cakes are one of my favorites!

3. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

you could also make a 2 layer round cake, and cut in half... then frost each half circle separately, and differently, then have them sitting near each other to show the full design?? or do square/rectangle ones similar...

I have done a medium size 4" or so pyrex cake for the kids for 1st & 2nd then made a separate one for everyone to eat... that gives them their own..

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd go for a square pan and cut it in two... rectangle cakes are less weird than 'moon' cakes.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For L&L's last birthday we solved it by doing cupcakes decorated two different ways. There are some awesome books out there with great ideas & you can make as many or as few as you need.

Here is a picture of the ones I did for their 4th birthday...

View attachment 6421

ETA The bears were really quite easy & turned out so cute!

Attached Files:

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Tina! So cute! What is on top of the cupcake to make it rounded?

7. tinalb

Thanks! It is a doughnut hole.

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Omg these are the cutest cupcakes ever!

9. suzrod

suzrod Well-Known Member

10. suzrod

suzrod Well-Known Member

Thanks Tina! Those cupcakes are adorable! You've just inspired me!! :)

11. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

OMG Tina! Those are AWESOME!!!

I would vote for cupcakes as well-maybe have the kids pick out a theme of sorts?

13. tinalb

Yes! I have both of those. They are both full of fantastic ideas & great instructions.

14. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

1st bday
    that's a link to our 1st bday... I guess I did 4 cakes all together... just pink/blue themed.

I LOVE the cupcake idea and just realized I did monkey cupcakes for everyone at their 2nd bday, and they had their own small monkey cake for each of them.

Here's a pic of them... they were "ok"... but kind of hard to do... I did the main part with the candy melts and it ended up pretty good...

Monkeys

Those cupcakes with the donut holes on top to give them body were adorable!!! good to get my thinking cap on for next time!