id twins different sacs?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by pretty girl, May 14, 2015.

1. pretty girl

pretty girl Well-Known Member

The peri brought it up yesterday but is this an actual thing that can actually happen?

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep! It all has to do with when the egg splits.

1 person likes this.
  3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep, just means the egg split before it got to the uterus to implant.

4. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

About 25% are. We were and it is commonly misdiagnosed as Fraternal alot.

1 person likes this.
  5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have two friends from my local twins group who swore their twin boys (yep they both have twin boys) were fraternal because they were in two sacs.  No one else could tell them apart though.  Both friends had their twins tested and sure enough they both found out they were ID twins (even though they always swore they were frat). :lol:

6. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

Our boys were in different sacs but we were never told either way if they were fraternal or identical.  After they were born, the doctor examined their placentas and determined that there were two (if there was only one placenta, they would definitely be identical), so they still couldn't tell us, for sure, which kind they were.  I had my boys DNA tested at 10 months old... identical.  I just had to know!!

7. LaurenY889

LaurenY889 New Member

I'm pregnant with di-di twins (separate placentas and sacs) and OB said we won't know for sure until after birth (unless they're not the same gender, of course). I would want a test right away to know!

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are.

They measured 3 days apart at 11 weeks on ultrasound and we were told to expect fraternal twins. It was only here that I learned they could be identical.

After they were born I wanted to test them because I just *had* to know. 

9. Kandie

Kandie New Member

Whoa, I did not know this was a possibility. Mine are in separate sacs so, I thought we were out on that part!

10. Monii588

Monii588 New Member

I just found out we're having twins today and I had no idea they could still be ID in separate eggs.