PostPartum question...HELP

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by traci_roo, May 31, 2007.

1. traci_roo

traci_roo Well-Known Member

I went for my 6wk pp check up yesterday and had to see the nurse practicioner I dislike because my doc was so busy. I asked her about my stomach bulge that is still there even though I am 8lbs below my pre-pg weight. She said that is my intestines poking through because my stomach muscles are so stretched. She even had me lay down and do a crunch so I could feel how far apart the muscles are now. She told me I need to wear a girdle and to start exercising but not lift anything heavier than the babies because I could get a hernia really easily.

Has anyone heard of this? I knew my muscles had stretched because I was all belly and it was pretty big at the end, but is it normal for my intestintes to poke out like that? I will start exercising (I was waiting until I got the okay at the appt but she acted like I was being lazy or something), but I don't see myself wearing a girdle. I can't stand anything pressing on my stomach (never could).

Anyone else experience this? What did you do? Will my muscles really go back and my intestines be back farther where they belong? It just grosses me out at this point.

As if the twin skin and new sag to my boobs weren't enough..... :angry:

2. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

I have heard that with twin pregnancies you can get muscle seperation like that - but I thought if your intestines were poking out it was a hernia? Maybe I am wrong. I would make an appointment with a regular dr to see what he says.

3. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

that is so *funny* (I know, poor word choice) but just yesterday my ob told me that I have an umbilical hernia. Mine is small, but will require surgery...which stinks! I had diastastis (separation of the recti abdominals) and it sounds like you have that, too. Like the PP said, if your intestines are popping out - it is a hernia. You should see a doctor asap, especially if your intestines are sticking out.

Do a search about diastasis because I posted about it awhile ago in the fitness section. Good luck. (I am getting my surgery this summer...boohoooo!)

jen

4. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I have heard of the abdominal seperation as well, But was never told to me like that!

5. Shannon123

Shannon123 Well-Known Member

When I was in the hospital after I had the babies the physio came around to hand out brochures about the separation diastis? (sp) and it is very common is twin pregnancies. They never mentioned having intestine poke thru at all so I would have to agree with pp about going to a dr because it does sound more like a hernia and may require more than just a girdle.
    If it is just the separation there are exercises that can help.

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

:hug99: Traci, I am sorry you are having to deal with that! Way to go on being 8lbs BELOW your pp weight!!!

7. traci_roo

traci_roo Well-Known Member

I don't understand how she can know it was my intestines. Maybe she sees this with twin pregnancies. It isn't painful but it just sticks out. I can understand the muscles being separated. I am going to e-mail the doc tomorrow because I didn't get a chance to ask him. This nurse practicioner gave me bad advice before so I don't want to do anything without checking with a doc.

8. aussiemom

aussiemom Administrator Staff Member TS Moderator

For more information on postpartum girdles, check out our reviews post here.