pillow ok for 9 month old?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JubenEZ, Nov 29, 2006.

1. JubenEZ

JubenEZ Active Member

I started using a pillow in one of my 9 mo old's crib this week because I was told keeping her elevated would help with the pressure of her ear infection. She seems so cozy on the pillow and sleeps well... is she old enough yet to keep it? She is very mobile, crawling, pulling up, etc. I didn't know how long it was necessary to keep items like this out of their crib.

Thanks!

2. JubenEZ

JubenEZ Active Member

I started using a pillow in one of my 9 mo old's crib this week because I was told keeping her elevated would help with the pressure of her ear infection. She seems so cozy on the pillow and sleeps well... is she old enough yet to keep it? She is very mobile, crawling, pulling up, etc. I didn't know how long it was necessary to keep items like this out of their crib.

Thanks!

3. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

Gracie actually had a pillow in her crib from about 7.5 months to 8.5 months. It was one of those squishy pillows, and she loved it, but I took it away b/c several times I woke to find her either face down buried in it or with it on top of her. It just made me nervous. I still get tickled thinking about her and that pillow...she used to wrestle with it until she fell asleep...you had to see it to appreciate it. [​IMG]

4. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Pillows always have freaked me out for the kids. I just, in the last 2 months, gave my almost 3 year old a pillow. He likes to sleep on his tummy and would always burying himself in anything around

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I fold one of DD's soft blankets and make a "pillow" out of it, but I don't know if I would leave an actual pillow in the crib with either yet. (20 mos.) I think when you elevate their heads you are supposed to elevate from under the mattress, but since you know what your baby is capable of it's really your call. I think you could just give a quick call to the pedi and see what they think!

Chances are good that it would be FINE....

6. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I would call your pedi just to be sure. I'm paranoid about kids and pillows, I didn't give either of my older ones pillows until they were 2yo.

7. Gabe+2more

Gabe+2more Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing. My son does have a pillow, he's almost 3. I believe that I gave it to him around 12 months old, I honestly can't remember. It was one of mine that got flattened out a LOT!

8. expectingtwo

expectingtwo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to give pillows until SIDS risk is over, like around 2 years in fact. There are positioners that elevate the baby's head, and wedges you can put under the mattress. I would try that. I've never seen a baby pillow at Babies 'R Us, for instance. It always seems to me like those babies must be uncomfortable, though, so I understand why you'd ask!

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. I just gave mine a blanket at 12 months, but I think you're supposed to wait even longer than that for a pillow.

10. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

My oldest had a squishy pillow when he was old enough to walk (around 7.5 months). He was fine cauz he was able to move around and change his position no problem. He usually held it like a stuffed animal [​IMG]

11. Joseph Breaux

Joseph Breaux New Member