humidifier questions

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by kumphort, Dec 20, 2010.

1. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

I have a couple of questions regarding in room humidifiers:

1. Which brand do you have?

2. Does it pull out part to refill it? or do you have to bring the whole thing to refill? HOw often do you refill?

3. Is there a way to control the output based on different sized rooms

4. If you have wooden furniture do you place it on the wood, does it harm the wood at all?

anything else to consider when looking for a humidifier? thanks

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had a coolmist humidifier that looked like a penguin, but it got broken. It had a tank you pulled out to fill seperately, but it was a PITA to clean out. It did have a control for output so you could adjust how much humidity you needed.. on max it would turn into a tropical rainforest. I usually refilled it every day and it would last overnight. Rinse and repeat.. part of the bedtime routine. I had it on a wooden table with no problems, but I wouldn't put it on any furniture you liked very much just in case of leakage or if the mist was aimed at the wood in any way.

Now we just use a cheapy humidifier that I bought at the drug store that has no controls.. works great! But I won't be able to use it long term in the kids room because it is a hot humidifier and I'd be worried that they would burn themselves.

3. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

We have a Reli-On Filterless Cool mist humidifier that we got at Walmart. There is a detachable tank that we can take downstairs to fill before bedtime. Usually by morning all the water has been used, now that it's cold and less humid in the house. We have hardwood floors, and it's not caused a problem, although we set it on the lowest humidity setting. We do have a towel underneath the whole unit. Although, now that the girls are in toddler beds and can get out of bed, we haven't used the humidifier.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1. We have a Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier
    2. It has a part to pull out to refill and if we are using it, I refill daily.
    3. Mine just has a low, high and medium setting. I keep it on low for the bedroom and if I have to move it downstairs for the daytime, then I put it on medium
    4. I have a plastic mat that I put underneath of it.

Forgot to add, we used it daily when the kids were babies and now they are older, we use it when they are sick.

5. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We have a Crane brand cool mist humidifier that I got at Target. And we have been very happy with it. It has a dial to adjust how much it mists. We only turn the dial to about 40% capacity, which means we only have to fill the removable tank once every 2 or 3 days. It is a bit of a pain to clean because you do need to unplug the base and take it to the sink, but its not that heavy or unwieldy and we only do that once every 7-10 days, so its not a big deal to us. It doesn't make any noticeable noise, and that is fine with us because we use an air purifier in the nursery for white noise (and dust/fur particle control).

ETA: We have it sitting up on the changing table because we never use that and its out of their reach. We have it sitting on a crib quilt so that the moisture doesn't affect the wood table.

6. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We have the same humidifiers as the above post. I really like it because it is so quiet compared to our previous ones. We put it on a wooden tv tray with a towel underneath. However, the towel has never gotten wet.

As for refilling it, we do it every 3-4 days and we have the frog and the duck models. We just remove the top portion (i.e. their eyes) and take the "head" part to the sink. The bottom base (that has the electrical plug) does not need to go to the sink.

7. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I was curious about not having to take the basin to the sink so I looked up the manual online. My coworker has a humidifier like this that he uses for his 3 year old twins and I remember him telling me how once a week or so they take the basin to the bathroom to be cleaned. So I just assumed that had to be done. Especially when I saw pink slime down in the basin after letting it go too long between cleanings! :lol: But the manual is actually a little confusing. For cleaning the basin it says:

"Wipe the water basin with a soft cloth dampened in the bleach and water solution. Rinse the water basin with cool water to remove any bleach smell. DO NOT IMMERSE WATER BASIN IN WATER. "

So how in the heck are you supposed to RINSE the basin without doing so at a sink?? Sounds like a mess otherwise. Though I will say this at least gave me the idea to just use Clorox wipes to wipe out the basin once a week, and maybe only do a sink cleaning once a month :)

Though reading the following section also made me think I need to remove the fluffy crib quilt from underneath the humidifier. I'll put some other thin type of material under it, like the stuff you line your cabinets with, perhaps. Or nothing at all, its not like its a super nice changing table that I expect to resell for a lot of money, ha.

"Do not place humidifier on top of a towel, or a carpeted surface. The fan vent on the bottom may become blocked, and overheat the humidifier."

I really learned a lot from looking at those humidifier instructions again! :) And I'm also REALLY glad we have it. The other morning Colin woke up with dried blood around his nostril. That is when I realized that after I cleaned the basin a few days ago and filled up the tank...I totally forgot to turn the humidifier back on! That was 2 days ago and he has been fine since then. So I think the humidifier is helping to keep his nasal passages moist.

8. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

Thanks to the above post regarding the instructions on this humidifier. I must confess that we just bought this humidifier last week so we haven't had it that long. :blush: I had planned on using Clorox wipes to do the bottom unit and figured I could use the Clorox Anywhere spray for areas where I could not get access with a wipe. As for the towel underneath the unit, I did read the comment about not using a towel...but I did not want to risk ruining the hardwood. I felt that it was ok to use a really thin towel (the kind that does not have fibers that stick up) underneath because I figured the lack of vertical fibers would not interfere with the vent. (Hope I explained that right) :unknw: Plus we are only using these humidifiers on a temporary basis (DS and DD have colds) and I turn them off in the middle of the night.

9. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

Thanks, I just ordered 2 crane units from Target for 29.99!

10. kimsay

kimsay New Member

I am also interested in buying a humidifier for my home and thinking to get it from the local market instead of purchasing online. I have just found various details about how the humidifiers work and how we can utilize them for best benefits. Anyone who is looking to buy one, should also take a look at this article!