Baby Shower in August?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by AshleyLD, Jun 17, 2007.

1. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

My Friend is throwing me a baby show in the begining of August.. I am sorta worried about this. Wont that be too late? August 1 I will be 34 weeks + 2 days!!!
    Has anyone else had baby showers this late in their twin pregnancy? Will i survive?

TIA

Ashley

2. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

I would think it should be alright, maybe a little late but my baby shower is on Aug 4th and I am due 9/24! Just so long as you are mobile and the place you are having it will be air conditioned it should go ok. Best of luck!

3. andiemc

andiemc Well-Known Member

Personally,I would ask her to do it earlier. Mine was at 32 weeks and it was so exhausting I barely enjoyed it. I was swelling and huge at that point. Even with my singleton pregnancy I had my showers earlier than that and am glad I did.

4. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

I'm sure you will be fine but I had mine at 29 weeks and was so glad that I did. I was so tired and doing anything was a pain for me. I would just make sure that your friend knows that you may have to make it a quick shower. Make sure you have a comfortable place to sit or lay and someone to help you open the gifts, I know it sounds silly but just bending over to open a bag was strenuous. :rolleyes:

5. txsweetie

txsweetie Well-Known Member

I would have it sooner just to be on the safe side. Has your doc mentioned any possibility of going on some sort of bedrest in the 3rd trimester? I had my shower when I was 26 weeks along(due in January, shower in October, had the kids in late November) and had the energy to enjoy it, plus you need time to go buy the stuff you didn't get at the shower and organize your nursery. I had my kids at 34 weeks with the expectations of carrying to at least 37 weeks. Good luck and have fun at your shower!!

6. AshleyLD

There is no talk about bedrest. I am a SAHM, So i have already put myself of bedrest sorta.. I am had a fairly uneventful pregnancy (except for the times i worry too much and go to L & D and then get sent home). I know why my friend wants to do it that late.. Its when she will have money.. But i think that is just way too late. Im a little worried...

7. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I had my shower at 35 weeks. I didn't have any complications during my pregnancy, so I wasn't that worried about it. I delivered at 37 weeks. It's not that hard to sit on a couch and open presents, so if you're feeling good I say go for it!

Reyna

8. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Do what you are comfortable with. I was afraid of all the complications that come with a twin pregnancy, so I told my family to do it before 30 and we had it when I was 29. I am soooo glad I did because I had plenty to time to sort through stuff and get it organized well before the girls were here.

9. pink and blue mom

pink and blue mom Well-Known Member

Mine was January 7th and I was 34 weeks 4 days and I went into labor at my shower. I had my babies 8 hours later on January 8th at 1 in the morning. My mom didn't believe me when I told her that it was too late to have it. But oh well that was the best present I could have received!!!!

Attached Files:

10. Susiepie

Susiepie Well-Known Member

I'm just a few days ahead of you! That's cool, well for us we have had one baby shower already this month with another at the end of the month. You will probably be all right, but if you could move up the shower that would be good just in case the babies come early. I'm glad we had ours so early since now I'm on bedrest I'm totally not much help at all!

Could someone else help throw the shower with your friend? So that she doesn't have to worry about having money to do it?

11. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

I am due 9/1 and I already had mine. I didn't know what was to come so I figured I better be safe than sorry and have it early. I had mine June 3rd. I am glad I had it early just to get the nursery set up and wash all the clothes!! I may not feel like doing that in August!

April

12. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I had a shower at 27 wks & 29 wks, but my 3rd shower was scheduled for 32 wks & that worried me. Now it's been cancelled since I'm on bedrest. I was glad I had my 1st two early b/c I was able to easily organize the nursery. I wanted the 3rd one earlier so I could organize & go buy what we hadn't gotten, so now I have to make a list for DH to go buy the remainder of our necessities (thankfully not much). It's your call, but I would really try to get the shower earlier. Even at the 2 I had, I had a hard time bending forward to open presents...I had to put them on my lap & have people hand them to me. I'm still disappointed that my shower this week had to be cancelled, but I just didn't want to deal with the stress of it while on bedrest.

13. stbmo4

stbmo4 Well-Known Member

I just had one this weekend. It was fine.

14. Amberzas

Amberzas Active Member

I had a shower at 26 weeks and will have the other one today! That's all for me. I wanted to do it early just in case. Even with my son I had it at 30 just in case and was soooo glad b/c I ended up on bedrest at 32.

15. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I'd do it earlier, if you can. You'll be big, hot, and tired! We wanted to do mine at 24-26 weeks, but I was on hospital bedrest from 24-28 weeks, so we had mine at 30 weeks and I was exhausted.

16. BDFDGirl (Heather)

BDFDGirl (Heather) Well-Known Member

I think you will be fine. I had my showers at 29 weeks and I was very tired at the end of one of them. I think it just lasted too long and I did too much that week. I enjoyed them. I stay sore now most of the time so I doubt I would have enjoyed them as much as I did if I held out on them. HOWEVER, I'm also a very whiny pregnant person. I don't handle discomforts well so that may have been my biggest problem. Try asking your doc at the next appt. He or She will know your history and be able to make a better guess than you and I will. They know if you went early with your daughter and other factors.

17. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

we played it safe with mine and had it very early. I would do the same i had a great time at my shower. twards the last few weeks my feet were so swollen and i was very tired. Good Luck and have fun

18. ExpectingTwins 7-31-07

ExpectingTwins 7-31-07 Well-Known Member

I would talk to her about an earlier date. You never know when you could be put on BR and it can happen out of the blue. My friend wanted to throw me a shower this month and she and I had talked about it for a few months ahead and then I was put on complete BR at 30 weeks. I had to let her know the shower had to wait since I cannot sit up without having contractions. So maybe after the babies are born we are going to have a welcoming shower.

19. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

My major shower was early -- in May for an August due date -- but that's because I had to travel to PA for it and it just worked out best that way. I was fine pretty much right to the end except for swollen ankles that needed to be kept raised. You will probably be fine as long as there is AC and you don't have to travel more than a couple miles.

20. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

I put a 28 week deadline on mine because it's my only shower so I couldn't really start buying stuff myself until I had it. I didn't want to cut it close because I wanted at least 6 weeks to do the rest of the buying and organizing.

21. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would also want to do mine earlier. Mine was scheduled for March, I was due in mid May, and my twins were born in Feb., so it ended up being in April after they were already here. But there was no way to know they would come so early, especially since my oldest DD was a week late.

But doing it earlier will allow you more time to get things washed and put away and get everything ready for their arrival.

22. Amorita

Amorita Well-Known Member

I had mine at 31 wks. I was on modified bedrest for an irritable uterus and so very swollen in my legs. Because of the bedrest, they brought the shower to my house. No money had to go out for the location! Good luck on your decision, but I wouldn't wiat if possible. PP suggested someone helping your friend out to split the cost, good idea.

23. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

I personally would ask her to do it earlier. Typically twin babies are born before their due date and I would not want to be that pregnant at the shower. By my 3rd shower I could barely bend over to pick up the gifts to open them!!

24. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

I had mine at 29wks2days and was in the hospital on bedrest for PTL at 30wks3days. I was exhausted after the shower but generally felt fine up to and after it. But one short week later it all changed. I got to come home for a few weeks before we delivered but it was on modified bedrest. That would make me really nervous having it that late. I would just warn her that she may have to drastically change the plans because after 30wks you just never know what will happen.

25. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

QUOTE(hot2trottt4u @ Jun 18 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]296546[/snapback]
    we played it safe with mine and had it very early. I would do the same i had a great time at my shower. twards the last few weeks my feet were so swollen and i was very tired. Good Luck and have fun

Same here. I would recommend doig your shower earlier if you can. You said that your scheduled your shower when you were 34 weeks and some odd days. I had my babies at 34 weeks and before I had no sign whatsoever of going into labor before then.

I would play it safe and try to have it earlier!

26. mjpetti

mjpetti Member

Ok seeing as we are on this topic, I was always under the impression that your only supposed to get a baby shower with your 1st child. My MIL has been bugging my wife to let her throw a shower for the twins. I would like some imput on this from the ladies here.

Thanks

27. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

28. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

QUOTE(annelily2000 @ Jun 19 2007, 12:08 PM) [snapback]298412[/snapback]
    QUOTE(Basko @ Jun 19 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]298386[/snapback]

Ok seeing as we are on this topic, I was always under the impression that your only supposed to get a baby shower with your 1st child. My MIL has been bugging my wife to let her throw a shower for the twins. I would like some imput on this from the ladies here

If someone is offering to throw the shower....let them. These babes aren't your second child....it's your first set of twins! Have a shower, it'll be so much fun!

I totally agree! Take the shower and enjoy the heck out of it. There MUST be things you need for the new babies.

29. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Basko @ Jun 19 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]298386[/snapback]
    Ok seeing as we are on this topic, I was always under the impression that your only supposed to get a baby shower with your 1st child. My MIL has been bugging my wife to let her throw a shower for the twins. I would like some imput on this from the ladies here.

Thanks

I think it depends on the family. Mine threw me a shower even though I had a 5 year old DD, but there was a big gap and we needed baby things, and with twins you need more of everything. Since your oldest is about 4.5 years old, I would think you could use some baby things, and especially with having twins. I say if your MIL wants to throw a shower go for it, it will be less stuff you need to buy.

Like PP said, it is your first set of twins and they require so much more stuff. Go for it and have fun!

30. AshleyLD

QUOTE(Basko @ Jun 19 2007, 08:53 AM) [snapback]298386[/snapback]

Thanks

Thats what i thought too. But I never got a shower for my DD. I was young and moved away from family.. My Best Friend is the one who said she is throwing me a baby shower.

I have asked her to do the Baby shower early too.. but she cant... Hopefully i am okay at 34 or more weeks for this shower!!

31. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

My shower was 6 days (33 weeks 3 days) before the twins were born (34 weeks 2 days). I would have liked to have had the option to have it earlier.

QUOTE(Basko @ Jun 19 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]298386[/snapback]

Thanks

Generally baby showers are for the 1st child. But when you have twins you need extra stuff. The only reason we had one with the twins is because of having twins. I would definitely let her throw a shower.