cribs

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by rosend, Jul 5, 2007.

1. rosend

rosend Member

I live in a small place and was wondering if I got a mini-crib (not a bassinet, just a smaller crib), rather than a full size crib for each of my twins, how long would they be able to use that? Would I end up having to buy a full size crib for each of them before they were able to move them to beds? The lady at the store was saying mini-cribs would only be good for a year, year & 1/2, but I don't know if she was just trying to sell us a more expensive full size cribs. Mini cribs also often convert to twin size beds rather than full size beds, which I would prefer for the twins when they are older.

Anyone have any experience with mini cribs and how long they are good for? Should I get the mini cribs or just bite the bullet and buy 2 full size cribs now?

Here is a link which shows a mini-crib
    http://www.ifurn.com/davinci_M4798.html?ut...medium=shopping

TIA!

2. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

We have one mini crib we kept at our summer house. It survived two years but it wasn't something we used every day and Kayla was very small for her age. My niece sleeps in a mini crib when she is at her dad's. She is one today and will still be able to use it for some time. I think it really depends on your exact situation.........K&K stayed in cribs until they were 3 so mini cribs that entire time would not have worked for us. Some children transition to beds by the time they are 18 months and if you go with that option then you might be fine with the mini's. We weren't ready for the transition quite that soon so the regular cribs were a must.

Sorry, I know not much help but honestly...............if mini cribs are all you can fit and you need to make it work then you will.

Honestly, that seems like alot of money for a mini crib. Our regular, full size cribs were around $100. I have the Jenny Lind which I believe come in white and natural wood. (that was over 6 years ago so I am sure the price has gone up some)

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Personally I would not waste your money on a mini crib. If it only last 1.5 years then what, will you buy a new crib, that would be a lot of extra money to spend. I know you said space is tight, but I would just get regular size cribs for them. Some babies are in their cribs until age 3 or even a little older, I would just hate to see you have to spend extra money that you don't have to.

4. tammygb

tammygb Well-Known Member

i was considering the same thing, b/c the bedroom for our twins is really small. but some other twin parents from my local twin club reminded me that the boys will be in the crib for 2+ years and i began to rethink it. one of the moms told me that she bought two very basic cribs at babies r us that didn't take up as much room. so i did additional measuring and configuring and have decided to go with full-size. it means one of the boys will sleep in front of a window, but we'll just have to block that off until we either move or add on to the house.

i am just wondering, though, where you have seen the mini-cribs. b/c it seems they're hard to find, and that might have also swayed my opinion.

5. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

We bought very basic cribs at IKEA. Nothing fancy, straight sides so that they could be placed flush with each other. Bonus that they converted to toddler beds without any additional kits. Our boys at 3.5 are still in them (as toddler beds). I also wouldn't bother with mini cribs if you can make full size cribs fit.

6. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We had a mini crib that they shared in the beginning, and then Hannah used for awhile. Then we moved it to my parent's house where Hannah just stopped using it. BUT, she was way too big for it and only used it for occasional overnight visits or naps.

My kids shared a really small room too but we just used the regular cribs (we were given the mini crib and one regular sized crib, which we had set up like that until they were about 9 mos old; then we bought another regular sized crib). It was tight, but workable.

I also recommend the IKEA cribs if you are short on space. For fun, I attached a picture of Ben and Hannah in the mini crib together when they were only a week or so old.

Attached Files: