How big did you get?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by sld17, Jan 28, 2008.

1. sld17

sld17 Active Member

Hi,

Just got a question about how big the "mommies of twins" out there got. At my appointment last week (at 28 weeks 4 days), I measured 36 cm and had gained 31 lbs. so far. It is all out front and I am REALLY starting to be uncomfortable. Doc thinks I'll go to full term (36 weeks or after in her book). Just wondering if you all think this growth rate will slow down at some point (babies have measured more than 1 wk. ahead at last 2 growth scans) or if I can expect to gain 50 or more pounds and measure well over 40 cm. I feel like I am going to explode and the babies are right up in my ribs (didn't feel this way with my ds until he was a few weeks from coming). Just curious what you all think and if you have any "survival" tips for these last several weeks . . . thanks!

2. pink and blue mom

pink and blue mom Well-Known Member

I only gained a few pounds with my whole pregnancy. I gained in my belly only too! After I was about 28-30 weeks, my belly started slowing down but that's me. A lady I work with showed me a picture when she was pregnant with twins and she was huuuuuggggggeeeeee! I think it depends on how much fluid/size of the babies/and how much you eat!

3. camdensmommy

camdensmommy Well-Known Member

I gained 50 lbs total- and think I was measuring right around 50 weeks when I delivered! My girls were both over 6 lbs at just shy of 37 weeks- and doc said I had ALOT of fluid. The last weeks are hard- but you will find many things you want to do, get prepared, and have done before the babies come. That helped me so much- little things like being sure the baby books were ready to go, bags packed etc. And get lots of rest- you are going to need it :winking0009:

4. Appymomma

Appymomma Well-Known Member

I'm very curious on this one too. I am at a 16lb gain at almost 27 weeks and mine is all out front as well!

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I am sorry to say that I actually felt I got bigger FASTER after 30 weeks. At 29 weeks I was pretty big, but I thought "This isn't so bad." By 32 weeks I was gigantic, and got bigger until about 35 weeks. Then I think it slowed down (or else I was so huge that I couldn't tell the difference) until I delivered at 37 weeks.

I gained 70 lbs by the time I was done. However, the rib pain came & went. If it's really bad now, that doesn't mean it will be really bad the entire time.

6. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I weighed 145 when I got pregnant, 203 the morning I delivered and 179 when I left the hospital. my girls weighed 6.8 and 6.9
    pounds and were at 38 weeks 4 days!!

my belly 1 month before the birth
    View attachment 2242

Attached Files:

7. **Diane**

**Diane** Well-Known Member

At 38w (the week I delivered my two) I had gained a total of 60lbs and was measuring over 50cm! My two weighed 7.10lbs and 5.3lbs.

The day I left the hospital I had lost over half the weight...it was another few months before I was back to my prepregnancy weight.

8. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

i ended up only gaining 30 lbs but i measured 52 weeks. i have no suggestions for surviving because nothing seemed to work for me.. :)

9. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

http://www.babycrowd.com/jr/online/jschaad...lb/index14.html

i was 33.5 weeks here and i delivered at 35 weeks 4 days...

I felt HUGE! I was so swelled at the end... I was about 164 when we started and final weight was 217, so 53 pounds. When i left the hopital i was about 30 lbs lighter...I could stil take off about 15 more pounds. I am about 5 foot 11... god luck... :) I was all out front too, or at least that is what i thought...

10. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

I am 5ft 4 inches and starting weight was 116lbs.
    I gained 40 lbs...but it was ALL in my belly.
    I was measuring 48 cm's fundal measurement and 48 inches around the biggest part of my belly.
    My boys are almost 2 mths old now and I am down to 120lbs..but my twin skin is HORRIBLE!!

11. SommerNyte

SommerNyte Well-Known Member

I measured 45 cm when my boys were born, and that was only at 31 weeks! I can only imagine how large I'd have been at full term!

12. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

I weighed 142 lbs before delivery, 194/196 the day i delivered... I had a 60 cm uterus a week before I delievered at 39 weeks 4 days.

Attached Files:

13. azmami

azmami Active Member

:( I am 27wk 5days and I have gained 43lbs =@ but I gained most of it in the beginning in the last 4 weeks I have gained 3-4lbs. I gained alot with my singletons too 45lbs full term with them so I know I was going to get huge. I just hope it comes off

14. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

The babies put on the most weight the last couple of months so you should probably get bigger. Survival tips: maternity belt or prenadle cradle, baths, resting (I had the least amt. of energy in the last trimester), try to keep stress out of your life as much as possible.

ETA: I measured 8 weeks ahead at the end and definitely had a twin sized belly the last month or so. I gained about 35 lbs. or so. I sometimes wonder if it was b/c I started the pg with an extra 10 lbs. on that I didn't gain more.

15. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I gained 40 lbs. I don't recall how many cm I was measuring, but I know that I was 48 inches around at the waist. (Didn't have digital then and temporarily without a scanner, so no pics.) They were 6,9 and 6,13 at 37 wks. With all I ate you would have thought I would gain more weight!

16. mrsriney00

mrsriney00 Well-Known Member

As of my appointment today I have gained 27lbs (12 lbs have been put on in the last 3 weeks!!!!) and I'm measuring 42 weeks. I believe I am 32w 4d right now. It is just now starting to really get uncomfortable amazingly enough. I think I had more pain with my last singleton pregnancy with my little one sitting on my sciatic nerve. I'm worried about the end as well. Just how big will I get!! :) But I'll put up with it (even if I'm cursing the whole time) if it means healthy babies!!

17. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I carried to 38 weeks and gained 75 pounds!!! :eek:

18. jkendall

jkendall Well-Known Member

I am almost 36 weeks, and I have gained 43 pounds. I measure 44 weeks now. I have a planned c-section at 37 and 6 days, so we will see how much bigger I get. I feel like even though I haven't gained as much weight in the last few weeks, my belly has gotten a lot bigger.

19. ladybutterflyrose

I wanted to add that I feed my twins exclusively breast milk and pump enough to store. This helped me lose 41 pounds as of last week and as I said earlier I had gained 35 lbs. So the weight can definitely come off!

20. kribar

kribar Well-Known Member

QUOTE(pamelastwins @ Jan 28 2008, 03:23 PM) [snapback]593998[/snapback]
    I wanted to add that I feed my twins exclusively breast milk and pump enough to store. This helped me lose 41 pounds as of last week and as I said earlier I had gained 35 lbs. So the weight can definitely come off!

Do you feed them both at the same time? I'm wanting to b.f. for a couple months & trying to figure out how I can possibly feed TWO!! Any tips? (MY hubby works a lot so I'll be mostly on my own.)

21. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

ugh ive gained 14lbs (as of 2 weeks ago..i dont weigh myself at home..) and im barely 1/2 way there! i have been feeling quite FAAAT lately, not much of a belly yet, but my butt and thighs feel huge. im 5'7" and was 132lbs before getting pregnant.

22. eewelks

eewelks Well-Known Member

I am almost 39 weeks and have put on 33lbs. I started off at 115lb and am up to 148.
    Last week, at 38 weeks, I was measuring 41 weeks. I, too, am ALL out front.

Strangely enough, I have put on more weight at the very end. By week 34, I had only put
    on about 28lbs. Now I am up to 33. My little ones are really packing it on.

Baby B is jammed under my ribs and is breech; it's really been the most uncomfortable thing to deal with the
    past few weeks. I have 6 more days until my C-section! I can't wait.

23. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

I gained about 45lbs. I also measured about 6 weeks ahead of whatever I was.
    I lost about 20lbs just in the first week. I only have 10lbs left, last time I checked. I think a lot of it was fluid.

24. Cynthia3200

Cynthia3200 Well-Known Member

I went to 35 weeks. I measured 50 weeks the day I delivered and I gained 30 lbs. As of right now- 6.5 weeks post partum, I have lost 32 lbs. I guess bf'ing two babies helps!

eta: my girls were 5lbs and 6lbs even

25. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

I gained 31 lbs my entire pregnancy, went full-term to 37.5 weeks and my boys were 7 lbs 8 oz and 6 lbs 6 oz. I was ALL out front (I won't gross you out with a picture -- LOL) and measured around 51 inches (around the biggest part of my belly) the day before I went to the hospital for my c-section. I'm 5'7" and weighed 150 when I got pregnant.

Mendy

26. prairiemom3

prairiemom3 Well-Known Member

I gained about 60 pounds and measured 52 cm about 2 weeks before birth. My girls were 6,6 and 5,15. You are going to get bigger than you thought possible! Good luck. I lost all except 15 pounds in the first 3 weeks. I'm still holding on to it.

27. ladybutterflyrose

QUOTE(Kristin7 @ Jan 29 2008, 12:08 AM) [snapback]594064[/snapback]
    Do you feed them both at the same time? I'm wanting to b.f. for a couple months & trying to figure out how I can possibly feed TWO!! Any tips? (MY hubby works a lot so I'll be mostly on my own.)

Not really. I exclusively pump, but you should check out TS's fabulous Breastfeeding Forum ;) . GL!

28. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I gained 50 pounds and carried 39 weeks. I don't know what my belly measurement was at the end (I quit asking after I passed 40) but I did take a waist measurement at 38 weeks of 54". Considering that I was 27" before the pregnancy, that's exactly double. :blink: The boys were 6,1 & 6,9 and 19.75".

QUOTE(Kristin7 @ Jan 28 2008, 06:08 PM) [snapback]594064[/snapback]

I do! I use the EZ-2-Nurse pillow. I was mostly on my own as well. I did feedings on the couch in the living room, on the bed, or on the loveseat in the nursery. I'd put them both down with room between them for myself, strap on the pillow, sit, and lift them one at a time onto the pillow. It's awkward the first few times but you learn by practice and it does save a ton of time. Of course, now they climb up on their own but there were a couple of adaptations for safely picking them up together along the way as they became more mobile.

Do come visit the BF forum -- the ladies there are very helpful.

ETA: 45 of the 50 were gone at 3 weeks postpartum and I'm currently 20 pounds below my pre-preg weight. :yahoo:

29. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

The babies won't grow as rapidly so you don't have to worry about doubling your current size but you are going to get bigger. At 35.3 weeks, I was measuring 47 cm and felt pretty uncomfortable. I had Dax at almost 42 weeks and never felt anywhere near as exhausted as I did when I was pregnant with the twins. Twin pregnancy is just a whole different ballgame.

30. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I measured 43 cm, gained 43lbs (of which 13lbs in the last week due to severe swelling in one leg). I lost all 43lbs within 1 week, was below pre-pregnancy weight at 6 weeks post partum. The doctors guessed that I must have lost 20lbs within 10 minutes after giving birth (they were 7lbs11oz and 7lbs10oz). I gained very slowly the first 20 weeks or so, even though they were measuring ahead from the beginning.

31. blueeyez553

blueeyez553 Well-Known Member

well i delivered my twins at 27wks 3d but i had gained 35lbs at my last ob visit and that was 2 wks prior to delivery so i was about 39lbs gained when i delivered. i was measuring at 36wks at 25wk ob appt. i was apprx measuring 38-39wks on delivery day. here is a pic taken a couple days before deliver. of coarse right before i got really swollen from my IV so i dont count the day before deliver.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/blue...3/26weeks-1.jpg

i think everyone is different and little weight, alot of weight as long as you have 2 healthy growing babies then your doig just fine. I tried to follow dr. lukes book and gain a lb a week but got alittle overboard toward the end. lol

as of 5wks pp i have went from 235 apprx down to 211. so i still have a ways to go but i wasnt exercising or watching what i ate the last 5wks either.

32. ellaila

ellaila Well-Known Member

I delivered at 36 weeks exactly, and I put on ~55 lbs. I remember at 28 weeks, I had put on about 30 lbs, so I -- and the babies -- def. gained a lot more at the end, which is normal. My babes weighed 5 lbs, 12 oz and 4 lbs, 9 oz, btw. Within 2 weeks, I lost 35 lbs, have lost a few more since then. Still need to drop 10-15 -- hoping a few will come off once I stop BFing!

33. amybucalo

amybucalo Well-Known Member

As of yesterday, my belly was 43 cm, and I have gained 46 lbs. I have no tricks for the last trimester, other than napping, prayer, and a good partner to rub your back and remind you that the discomfort will be over soon.

34. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I never got morning sickness and I basically moved into my local MCDonalds!! I gained 90 lbs- went from a size 6 to a 16!! My babies were six lbs at 35 weeks and I planned my c section for 35 weeks 2 days cuz they were Identical and we did an amnio for lung maturity and we were a GO! They were born healthy and BIG for their age and I attribute that to my insatiable appetite!!! I still have 10 to lose and I'm 17 weeks past delivery, oh and I should add-- I haven't left the house so it does come off!! Eat Eat EAt!!

35. kdoleva

kdoleva Well-Known Member

So far I have gained 45-50 pounds. My gain was primarily in the end of the 2nd and 3rd trimester. Although at the last appointment I lost 3 pounds in a couple days. This is probably b/c of the nasty swelling I had while I was in the hospital last week and now I am back to just a regular pregnancy swell.

There was a post on here a while back that discussed how much weight was lost right after delivery. I really liked reading that post! :)