when do you get their eyes checked?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by naomi02, Feb 26, 2008.

1. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I was wondering what age you start going to the eye doctor?

2. Cheryl O.

Cheryl O. Well-Known Member

Our first trip to the eye doctor came when my four year old son failed the eye screening the Society to Prevent Blindness conducted at his preschool. Turns out a handful of kids in his class were referred and they all got glasses shortly thereafter.

Prior to that my son took a simple eye test at our family doctor's office - not very scientific but I don't think they need to be sent "automatically" unless there are signs that they are having trouble (squinting, etc.).

I am very thankful for that screening. Seems my son inherited mommy's nearsightedness - all of my children probably will unfortunately for them. I have already decided I will offer them all a free Lasik procedure in their mid-20's since it's all my fault... LOL.

3. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We took the kids for their first eye appointment when they were 9 months old. There is a program called InfantSEE that offers free screenings to kids under the age of 1. My optometerist happened to be a provider for this program so we just booked an appointment. The kids preschool just did a vision screening last week too for all the students. Otherwise I would have probably took them around age 3.

4. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

We took ours last week, but that was just a follow up because they were preemies. She said everything looked fine, so our next checkup should be at age 3 or 3 1/2. I don't know for sure, but I got the impression from the ophthalmologist that she recommended that was the age all kids should get checked out for the first time. If they didn't need the extra preemie appointments, 3 or 3 1/2 is when I would have taken them for the first time.

5. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

My boys went at about 8 months but my DH has a rare eye disease if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't of even thought of it until they were school age.

We also used the InfantSee program which is a free exam before 1 and we received the info through our Pedi.

6. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

My eye doctor tells me to bring them with me for one of my check ups once they turn 3, just to do a wuick look to make sure there aren't serious issues. After that, he said in a year or two after that, then every year afterwards.

7. Joanna G

Joanna G Well-Known Member

My boys haven't seen an actual eye doctor yet. I'm planning to take them this spring/summer, having to wait for a change in insurance. They have both been tested by the Lions Club though.

8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

We've been 4x. once at 6 weeks for ROP follow up and then at 6 &12 month and then we just did our 2 year visit. Both girls are pretty good. They actually could do the 'letter chart' this time so that helped. One DD has a stigmatism and is fairly farsighted, but we are following up in 6 month before we try glasses on a 2 year old!! The other DD doesn't need to go again until 3.

Our Pedi recc. preeemies go at least once prior to 1 and then yearly. Full term kids - yearly. Since vision can be a BIG predictor in learning at 0-5 and a child can not really tell if his vision is poor!

KC

9. t_and_j_mom

t_and_j_mom Active Member

12 months at the referral of my pediatrician because DD's eye started to cross. She never acted like anything was wrong with her vision but she's very farsighted and now has glasses that correct that eye. DS hasn't seen one yet. I think I'll have him checked at 2.

10. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I was just at my optician the other week and this subject came up. He said that kids should be seen by the time they are 2. According to him many parents think they need to wait until their child can recognise/read letters before they can be tested and so many children don't have slight problems picked up as early as they could be. He also said it's easier to check the eyes of a baby than an uncooperative 3 or 4 year old!

11. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine are 27 months and have never had their eyes checked. Sarah's going to have a vision screening as part of the evaluation for speech therapy (they evaluate for everything at once), but goodness knows when someone will check Amy's eyes....

12. Stacy1976

Stacy1976 Well-Known Member

If you think that an eye screening is needed then do it now. I took Sara in January and probably could've taken her last June. She has glasses now and is sooo cute.

Just had to share a pic.....

Attached Files:

13. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Stacy1976 @ Feb 27 2008, 09:02 PM) [snapback]644002[/snapback]
    If you think that an eye screening is needed then do it now. I took Sara in January and probably could've taken her last June. She has glasses now and is sooo cute.

Just had to share a pic.....

When we took our boys last week, it was mostly toddlers and little kids with glasses in the waiting room with us, and DH and I commented on how CUTE the little kiddos were with glasses. I don't know what it is, but they are just adorable!! Sara is definitely no exception!!

14. clb8899

clb8899 Well-Known Member

I want to say my pediatrician recommended it at age 3. He thought my son had a pale pupil at his 1 year checkup, so we have to go every year for a check now. He passed the first one with flying colors, but the eye doctor wanted to keep an eye on it. We'll be going again soon!!

15. CapeBretoner_123

CapeBretoner_123 Well-Known Member

WE're going soon. Its one this the school requests before they go.

16. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

My girls got tested while at preschool last year (they were 3/4 yrs old). They just went for their 5yr check up at the peds and they also did an eye exam on them there.