attn frat mommas

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nicolegalchutt, Apr 25, 2008.

1. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

Wow, you all have beauties! I can't tell many of them apart either.
    My boys are ID (and almost 3!!), but yes, ID twins can look a little different depending on how they were lying in you and also weight/height.

I know mine are ID cause of the TTTS, but I swear they look different. Jake is 7 lbs heavier and about an inch taller!
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j159/jak...my/100_5456.jpg

2. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

So many of these frats look so much alike to me also! I KNOW my guys are frat, but I'm curious--do people think my boys look alike? I don't think they even look like brothers!!!

3. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

We are all so funny! I looked, like really looked at all your kids, and most of them yes I would agree are fraternal and I can see differences. But we ALL said 'mine dont even look like brother/sister'!!!!
    We spend all day every day with them and see ALL their differences magnified plus we look for them because its human to 'compare' even though we're not supp'd to. ;)
    So many people when I go out will ask me, "Identical?" and in my head I am like, 'No, duh! I mean it looks like I stole Sofia, come on!'

Keep posting them, I love looking, I could spend all day looking at picture and I love playing the fraternal/identical game! Very cute kids! All of them! :wub:

edited because I cant type today! ugh

4. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Apr 26 2008, 11:00 AM) [snapback]740621[/snapback]
    We are all so funny! I looked, like really looked at all your kids, and most of them yes I would agree are fraternal and I can see differences. But we ALL said 'mine dont even look like brother/sister'!!!!
    We spend all day every day with them and see ALL their differences magnified plus we look for them because its human to 'compare' even though we're not supp'd to. ;)
    So many people when I go out will ask me, "Identical?" and in my head I am like, 'No, duh! I mean it looks like I stole Sofia, come on!'

Keep posting them, I love looking, I could spend all day looking at picture and I love playing the fraternal/identical game! Very cute kids! All of them! :wub:

edited because I cant type today! ugh

:angry: You aren't reassuring me, woman!!!! :p

:lol: You are so right though--everyone always asks if my boys are identical and I feel like asking "what planet are you from?" Then I realize of course they look really different *to me*

5. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Apr 26 2008, 07:34 AM) [snapback]740421[/snapback]
    So many of these frats look so much alike to me also! I KNOW my guys are frat, but I'm curious--do people think my boys look alike? I don't think they even look like brothers!!!

Hi! They look like brothers but sooo different.. I would never mistake them for identical!! Cute cute and the diaper on the outside of the clothes is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommymeg @ Apr 26 2008, 08:15 AM) [snapback]740399[/snapback]
    This is too cute! I'm more confused than ever now. Most of those frats look ID to me. I always think Outnumbered's girls are ID in pics, but when you see them in person, you can tell (plus they have diff. blood types). I'm wondering if our cameras are playing tricks! Thanks for posting all of your pics!

:laughing: And I think mine are as different as night and day, even in pics! They do have different blood types, so aside from my possible bias, they are definitely frats!

My Fraternal Beauties

Soooo Very Different!

7. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Amanda @ Apr 25 2008, 09:29 PM) [snapback]739962[/snapback]
    mine are so different they dont even look like siblings:

Amanda, you definitely have my vote for the most different looking frats!

I love looking at all these great pics :wub: !

8. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Apr 26 2008, 08:04 AM) [snapback]740624[/snapback]
    :lol: You are so right though--everyone always asks if my boys are identical and I feel like asking "what planet are you from?" Then I realize of course they look really different *to me*

I agree, I dont understand how in the world people would ask if mine were identical - are they blind?!! I still dont understand how mine were created at the same time in the same place & could be so different!!!!!!!!!! night & day......

9. Cynthia3200

Cynthia3200 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Apr 26 2008, 08:34 AM) [snapback]740421[/snapback]

I definitely think they look related but also definitely look fraternal

10. JVC0625

JVC0625 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(gavinsmom @ Apr 26 2008, 12:57 AM) [snapback]740294[/snapback]
    I don't get it. How can the DR tell by looking at the placenta if they are ID or not? Is it the DNA they examine in it? My boys definatley had two placentas but the Dr never said anything about examing it to tell if they are ID or not, he said you'd have to get DNA tested to know. hmmm, now I'm confused.

11. JVC0625

JVC0625 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(gavinsmom @ Apr 26 2008, 12:57 AM) [snapback]740294[/snapback]
    I don't get it. How can the DR tell by looking at the placenta if they are ID or not? Is it the DNA they examine in it? My boys definatley had two placentas but the Dr never said anything about examing it to tell if they are ID or not, he said you'd have to get DNA tested to know. hmmm, now I'm confused.

No, she had the placentas sent off to be tested. It is standard procedure at their office to test all twin placentas. According to the DNA test, the boys are definitely fraternal, but they look identical. Sorry for the confusion. I meant she had the placentas tested, not that she examined them.

12. debid

debid Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JVC0625 @ Apr 26 2008, 01:20 PM) [snapback]740830[/snapback]
    No, she had the placentas sent off to be tested. It is standard procedure at their office to test all twin placentas. According to the DNA test, the boys are definitely fraternal, but they look identical. Sorry for the confusion. I meant she had the placentas tested, not that she examined them.

I'm just going to toss this out there for your info and you can do with it what you like. Twin placentas are normally sent in to a pathology lab for analysis. It's a physical exam where they look to see if there are membranes dividing the mass or whether it is one placenta. I would be VERY surprised if they also performed a DNA test. The part that gets confusing is the terminology on the pathology report. They use the term "fraternal placentas" to indicate the presence of dividing membranes. That isn't the same as fraternal zygosity, only di/di.

13. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

14. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

This has been so much fun! Opinions from others vary, from "they're identical, aren't they?" to "are they both yours?" LOL. As they get older they look more different, I guess, although they always looked very different to us.
    In the baby picture, they were 10 weeks. In the other, it was about a month before they turned 5. In each picture, Ella (always about an inch taller) is on the left, Rosalie on the right
    (<--reverse order in my profile pic).

Attached Files:

15. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of my boys. One is recent and two from their first year. Many people will ask if they are ID (many people here on TS have told me they think they are). We see enough difference to be pretty sure they are fraternal.

16. jkendall

jkendall Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Apr 26 2008, 08:34 AM) [snapback]740421[/snapback]

I don't think yours look alike, but I do think they look like brothers.

17. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Utopia122 @ Apr 26 2008, 02:45 PM) [snapback]740933[/snapback]
    Most strangers can't tell ours apart, but we definitely can. We were never given a definite answer as to whether they are ID or Frat, but we're pretty sure they're Frat (their heads are shaped different). Anyway, I have a picture of them at one and the most recent picture I could find of them together.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/ut...2/IMG_00081.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o113/ut.../DavisAandS.jpg

Yours are ID! For sure!!!!

18. jjokitty

jjokitty Well-Known Member

Here are my frat girls. They looked a lot alike when they were first born, except one was a pound heavier and had chubbier cheeks. We sent out the test and of course as soon as we did they started looking more and more different. Strangers can tell them apart pretty easily (usually it starts with "This one (Avery) looks just like her mommy") whereas they used to ask us if they were ID.

Jen

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh102/j...ty/DSCF0011.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh102/j...ty/HPIM0696.jpg

ETA Wrote "alike" instead of "different". Duh.

19. daisydoll

daisydoll Well-Known Member

20. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

QUOTE(debid @ Apr 26 2008, 12:44 PM) [snapback]740856[/snapback]
    I'm just going to toss this out there for your info and you can do with it what you like. Twin placentas are normally sent in to a pathology lab for analysis. It's a physical exam where they look to see if there are membranes dividing the mass or whether it is one placenta. I would be VERY surprised if they also performed a DNA test. The part that gets confusing is the terminology on the pathology report. They use the term "fraternal placentas" to indicate the presence of dividing membranes. That isn't the same as fraternal zygosity, only di/di.

I completely agree with this. They don't do a DNA test on placentas and they rarely even check for blood types unless asked. All they do is see if the placentas have a dividing membrane or not. Many doctors think that all di/di twins are fraternal and that's just not the case.

QUOTE(Utopia122 @ Apr 26 2008, 01:45 PM) [snapback]740933[/snapback]
    Most strangers can't tell ours apart, but we definitely can. We were never given a definite answer as to whether they are ID or Frat, but we're pretty sure they're Frat (their heads are shaped different). Anyway, I have a picture of them at one and the most recent picture I could find of them together.

Different shaped heads can be caused by environmental factors (like womb position), that doesn't affect their DNA. I definitely think you should get them tested because I think they certainly look ID.

21. nicolegalchutt

nicolegalchutt Well-Known Member

Oh this has been so fun! There are some definite frats and some that I think look pretty ID. Theres even one baby that looks like he could belong to me and be a triplet of ours, lol! And they are all way too cute!! So heres some more of my boys- still not sure. and the last pic is one I had to throw in cause its cute :D I wish I was a better photographer, sorry some are a little blurry

22. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Utopia122 @ Apr 26 2008, 07:45 PM) [snapback]740933[/snapback]

I think you've got to get them tested because they sure look ID to me.

23. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments on my darlings. All during the pregnancy we knew their were two placentas, however a definite membrane separating the sacs were never found. The did see a seam, but never could conclusively tell us that it was the membrane. After we had the babies, I asked my OB if she could tell based on the reports that came back and she couldn't. Anyway it's crazy how people at church still can't tell them apart after two years, their big brother still has problems as well.

I love seeing all the pictures, too. There are some gorgeous babies on this forum!!

24. nicolegalchutt

nicolegalchutt Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Apr 26 2008, 04:25 PM) [snapback]741027[/snapback]
    Here are a couple of my boys. One is recent and two from their first year. Many people will ask if they are ID (many people here on TS have told me they think they are). We see enough difference to be pretty sure they are fraternal.

Those are some cute little boys and I think they look very ID. I love their hair!

25. vivalalexa

vivalalexa Well-Known Member

26. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

My boys look sooo different to me! But, once in a while, I will take a picture, and think, huh, I guess I can see why a stranger glancing at them (in their car seats) might not see all those differences!

Sometimes they look very different:
    pic 1
    pic 2
    pic 3

...and then I think, well, they aren't THAT different!
    pic4

...and my boys' biggest difference is still size (AJ is bigger than Benny):
    pic5

27. missymack2003

missymack2003 Well-Known Member

Wow! Looks like there are a lot of fraternal twins out there. My girls looked like they could possibly be ID when they were just born, but after a few days it became obvious that they are fraternal. They both have the same color hair and eyes, definately sibling resemblance, but other than that they are quite different in appearance. Brenna (smaller of the two) is on the right in the first pict and then on the left for the last two. Brooke is on the left in the first pict and then the right in the last two:)

Just born, the jury's still out....
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/m...03/P9070070.jpg

6 months old
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/m...03/P3260171.jpg

7 months old
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/m...03/100_1003.jpg

28. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

29. mairoge

mairoge Well-Known Member

30. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mrs.jellybelly @ Apr 29 2008, 12:41 AM) [snapback]745176[/snapback]
    Wow! Looks like there are a lot of fraternal twins out there. My girls looked like they could possibly be ID when they were just born, but after a few days it became obvious that they are fraternal. They both have the same color hair and eyes, definately sibling resemblance, but other than that they are quite different in appearance. Brenna (smaller of the two) is on the right in the first pict and then on the left for the last two. Brooke is on the left in the first pict and then the right in the last two:)

Just born, the jury's still out....
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/m...03/P9070070.jpg

6 months old
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/m...03/P3260171.jpg

7 months old
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/m...03/100_1003.jpg

They look IDENTICAL to me!

31. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

I am loving all these baby pics!! Definitely bringing a smile to my face here at crummy work :)

Angela...

mom to DNA test confirmed ID twins who shared nothing in utero and had extremely different shaped heads at birth, stork bite birth marks on one at birth and other differences that really made us go :umm:

The older they get, the more similar they look (so much so that I mix them up more now....), but if you'd asked me at two months, I would have told you they were most likely frats :)

32. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

:itwins_boys: I think some of you who are so sure that your twins are faternal might want to rethink it! :itwins:

33. caryanne07

caryanne07 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Meximeli @ Apr 29 2008, 05:49 PM) [snapback]746628[/snapback]
    :itwins_boys: I think some of you who are so sure that your twins are faternal might want to rethink it! :itwins:

I agree!

34. meliz812

meliz812 Well-Known Member

35. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

Our girls are fraternal twins too. They actually look like our 4 year old at different stages of her baby days.

This is Aubrey at 8 months
    Aubrey

This is Avarey at 8 months
    Avarey

I got my close ups for this reason--lol

Lots of love!
    Meshell