For those with Identical twins

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Saramcc, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

how often do you get friends or family who can't tell one from the other? Are they exactly alike or are their characteristics that make them stand out so you never get them confused?

In the beginning I imagined if I were to have identical if I'd be able to tell them apart, my ped said one lady had to paint one of the babies finger nails to know who was who :D

2. Ruth K.

Ruth K. Well-Known Member

Other than a few photos from when they were younger, I only mix my boys up from the back. The biggest difference at the moment is weight. Thomas is extremely skinny, and we've done everything we can to fatten him up but it just isn't working.

Anyone that spends more than 60 seconds with our boys can tell from the way they act and talk who is who.

3. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

my id's look nothing alike to me. well, they look like sisters, but not id twins. dh and my mom don't mix them up either (well, dh does every now and then), but EVERYONE ELSE gets them mixed up. they have no idea who is who. last sunday in church SIL was holding one and her aunt was holding the other and they were like, 'who do you have?" "i dont know. oh well!" that kind of annoys me, cuz you should at least make an effort to know who you are loving on! so if I'M getting a little annoyed, i can only imagine how they will feel when they are older.
    i can imagine it being tough when they are newborns, cuz you can't see their personalities yet, so they're just "two babies" that look exactly alike :D (tho mine were different in size by a pound, so no one had any trouble then)

4. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

Our families are getting a little better at telling the girls apart, they look nothing alike to me unless they are at just the right angle or sometimes I have a hard time telling them apart from behind. The one thing that bothers me is that my Dad can't tell them apart and he calls them both twinky or the twinkies, but I haven't had the heart to say anything I just keep hoping that eventually someday he'll be able to call them Payton & Piper.

5. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

Well I just found out that my two are ID so I would say they don't look alike at all. At this point my parents and in laws and there aunts and uncles can usually always tell them apart ( as long as they can compare the two) but mostly everyone elese gets them confused.

6. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

Mine are fraternal, and people still couldn't tell them apart at first.

7. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

My girls are ids and they look alike except Lauren has a small beauty mark above her lip that Mattie doesn't. DH can tell them apart and the grandparents, but most other family member/ friends can't. When they first came home I did paint Lauren's pinky finger, just b/c I was afraid, but after about a week, I could tell the difference. Here is a picture that we used for our Christmas Card this year. Could you tell the difference?

Attached Files:

8. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bday111707 @ Jun 6 2008, 10:29 AM) [snapback]813702[/snapback]
    how often do you get friends or family who can't tell one from the other? Are they exactly alike or are their characteristics that make them stand out so you never get them confused?

In the beginning I imagined if I were to have identical if I'd be able to tell them apart, my ped said one lady had to paint one of the babies finger nails to know who was who :D

Most of my family can tell the girls apart. Mine are not exactly alike. Grace has a longer face and only one swirl in the back of her hair & Hope has a shorter face and 2 swirls in her hair. There has been times though that everyone has gotten the confused(even Momma). It has gotten easier the older they have gotten because they have different personalities. I never thought mine looked enough alike to paint toenails. There has always been little things even when they were tiny babies. Their belly buttons have always been different. Hope's cord feel right off without trouble and she definitly has a sunk in belly button but Grace's cord had to be taken of at the dr's and she has more of an outward belly button. Oh and their ears are a different. Hope has thinner ears than Grace. They are shaped the same but Hope's stick out a little further.

9. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

QUOTE(brandycaviness @ Jun 6 2008, 10:36 AM) [snapback]813974[/snapback]
    My girls are ids and they look alike except Lauren has a small beauty mark above her lip that Mattie doesn't. DH can tell them apart and the grandparents, but most other family member/ friends can't. When they first came home I did paint Lauren's pinky finger, just b/c I was afraid, but after about a week, I could tell the difference. Here is a picture that we used for our Christmas Card this year. Could you tell the difference?

Well looking at that picture, yes they look exactly alike. But i guess for you who sees them everyday can tell. They do look alot alike though :D

10. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

QUOTE(brandycaviness @ Jun 6 2008, 01:36 PM) [snapback]813974[/snapback]

I think it looks like the same kid! :D

11. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

We assume that our girls are identical. We are getting better at telling them apart b/c Chloe has lost more hair. Most people have a really tough time though. I don't mind at all, and think it is funny. As an ID myself, I never found it at all offensive or even annoying when people confused us. What we both hated was people comparing us to one another. IT SUCKED!

12. JensBoys

JensBoys Well-Known Member

Most of our family can tell them apart. Their heads are a bit differant shape, Connor has a little freckle beside one ear and there's a bit of a weight differance

13. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

It seems the older my twins get the harder it is to tell them apart. When they were babies the 2lb difference made it easy to distinguish who was who. But now even me and their dad mix them up! Family and friends have no idea who is who. LOL

14. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

My boys are ID and when they first came home from the hospital, I put a dot of red polish on Aaron's thumb. I never messed them up, but I was scared I would. Now 5 years later they look even more alike! :) I only mess them up from the back, once I see their face I know exactly who it is. My Dh has never messed them up and neither have their brother and sister. However, my parents, sister, neices, etc.. that see them all the time can never tell them apart. They are okay if the boys are standing next to each other, but if they are separated they have no idea which one is which. The twins are getting to the point that it is bothering them...

Here is a pic, do they look the same to you? Sometimes twin mom's have a better eye at telling them apart!

Aaron and Connor