1 REALLY active/Wired twin! Worried

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Stephe, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Stephe

Stephe Guest

Since I am a 1st time mom and have NO clue about babies all of this could be completely normal but just wanted to run it by the experts here [​IMG]

Cooper is ahead of most of his milestones and hitting them early. Eli is pretty much on track but was beind on a couple of them. Well Cooper is into everything and will go for everything he's not supposed to have. He will focus on something and just get mad if he can't do it or get to it. He sometimes pitches a fit. He will work on something for 1/2 an hour sometimes trying to figure it out. He also WILL NOT be still sometimes at diaper change time or to get him dressed. I've actually had to have dh help me hold him still to get him dressed at night. He also freaks out if he doesn't get to go to bed right on time and in his bed(he freaked out the 1st night we were of town). Does this just sound like a strong willed child? I know I shouldn't worry(but the mom in me does) but I'm always worried about Autism b/c I seem to hear about it all the time now. I never even really knew about it until I got pregnant and started visiting parenting boards.

2. Stephe

Stephe Guest

Since I am a 1st time mom and have NO clue about babies all of this could be completely normal but just wanted to run it by the experts here [​IMG]

Cooper is ahead of most of his milestones and hitting them early. Eli is pretty much on track but was beind on a couple of them. Well Cooper is into everything and will go for everything he's not supposed to have. He will focus on something and just get mad if he can't do it or get to it. He sometimes pitches a fit. He will work on something for 1/2 an hour sometimes trying to figure it out. He also WILL NOT be still sometimes at diaper change time or to get him dressed. I've actually had to have dh help me hold him still to get him dressed at night. He also freaks out if he doesn't get to go to bed right on time and in his bed(he freaked out the 1st night we were of town). Does this just sound like a strong willed child? I know I shouldn't worry(but the mom in me does) but I'm always worried about Autism b/c I seem to hear about it all the time now. I never even really knew about it until I got pregnant and started visiting parenting boards.

3. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Seems to me that you just have a very frustrated learner on your hands, not something bad though. When babies are only 7 months old, learning to do something new can be so frustrating and they can't talk to you about it either. So it manifests in being angry, pitching fits etc. I think it is a really good sign that he will concentrate on something for a long to time to learn it though. Sounds like he will be a real smarty when he gets older. Your description doesn't seem like autism to me.

Coop sounds like a real go getter!

4. valeriemiller39

valeriemiller39 Well-Known Member

Don't worry about autism..you havean active baby. It sounds 100% line one of my twins expect for the working at something for 1/2 hour. Mine goes from one thing to another as fast as possible. She gets a toy, puts it in her mouth, drops it, and starts all over again. She is an active baby and will be an active toddler (MY 2 YR old was the same way) The 2 yr old and my activebaby could have been twins. Brooke is my passive one. She'll sit and play with a toy for 30 minutes. She focus on things for a long time, looks and studies them. Just 2 different personalities ... oposites make the best friends!

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Steph, I wouldn't worry too much!! He sounds COMPLETELY NORMAL! [​IMG]

6. Stephe

Stephe Guest

Thanks Ladies

7. Jennysnead

Jennysnead Well-Known Member

Yup, totally normal. It's funny 3 of my 4 children are like that. I keep thinking the one who is calm, patient, and quiet has something wrong with her!!!! LOL!! Sounds like you have a go-getter. Seriously, my 4 and 6 year olds were like that and they are still "hyper", talkative, into everything. But, also bright, interesting, curious, wonderful children full of life. They light up rooms when they walk in. At tad bit exhausting, but soooo worth it.

8. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

He sounds normal to me and a very determined little guy! LOL! [​IMG]