14 month old Crying out While Sleeping

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by RJ2006, Mar 1, 2011.

1. RJ2006

RJ2006 Well-Known Member

My daughter is crying out while sleeping. Its very breif and only lasts a few seconds at most, but it can occur every 3 hours or so. I'm not sure what is going on. She went through this around 11 months as well. Its been going on for a few weeks now. The only thing I can think of is that we have recently gone down to 1 nap, could this be causing it? They are napping well getting about 2 hours of sleep during the nap and usually get about 11 to 12 hours at night. She is also waking up a bit earlier than normal at 615, rather than 645....still just kind playing her crib and whinning every now and again

Anyone else experience this? Is there anything I can do?

2. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

My girls (20 months old) occasionally do this. Sometimes they kinda get stuck in a rut and do it every night for a few weeks at a time. Then they stop. I was talking to a friend recently who has a son the same age, and she said he does it too. No rhyme or reason to it. So I think it's normal. I'm pretty sure my girls aren't even awake when they do it.

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Could it be teething? Our boys are 14 months and have been doing this off and on for the last few weeks - I think it is because they are getting their molars. It helps some if I give them tylenol before bed.

I also think this is the age when kids start to dream more, so I'm wondering if some of it is that, too.

4. two41

two41 Active Member

One of my daughters does this as well. She has done it for several months now, off and on. Sometimes I think it is teething, sometimes maybe dreams. We haven't really figured out anything to do about it, but wait it out and make sure it doesn't cause her to really wake up. Sometimes we have gone in there when we thought she was awake (because of the crying/whining), but she was still laying down and didn't even realize we were in there.

Sorry I can't be of more help! I guess some kids are just noisy sleepers!

5. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

My girls have done this too. I always think, teething, bad dream, tummy (gas). Its hard to know because they can't tell us.

6. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

My son does this too and he's definitely not awake when it happens. We usually go in and rub his back to get him quiet quicker.

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Forgot to say in my last post, I think it's dreams because it happens even when he's not teething, but his sleep is always more fitful when he is.

8. Kludelhoven

Kludelhoven Well-Known Member

Mine do it too, when they were sick a few weeks ago it seemed even worse. I just thought it was maybe dreaming or when they were sick they felt well sick!

9. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My boys do it when teething. At 14-15 months they are generally cutting molars, so that could be it.

10. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

yep teething and being sick are the culprits around here! UGH! it finally gets better when all those teeth are in!