14 months and wanting to nurse constantly

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by momof6, Feb 7, 2012.

1. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

My twins are 14 months old and still nursing. Until recently my DS was the one who would nurse the longest. I would have to stop him just to get things done. My DD would take a few sucks and then be done. But now.... my DD wants to nurse ALL the time. If I am sitting she walks to me crawls into my lap and "assumes the position" mouth open arms flapping! It actually is quite funny! Even if I am standing up holding her she will try to "assume the position" Sometimes I have to go into another room out of site just so she wont be pulling at me. Is this a common age to go through a growth spurt? I was nursing 3-4 times a day but now she wants to nurse all day! DS still nurses 3-4 times a day but if he sees her nursing he wants in on the action too! I love nursing them but am afraid I am creating a habit and not just giving her the milk she needs. The nursing is so much again that I started to leak again! Took me 7 months to stop leaking and here I am again! Any thoughts?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It could be any number of things - growth spurt, comfort, hitting a milestone, etc, etc. She's old enough that you might be able to figure out if it's something else that she wants/needs & give her that instead (ie if she's thirsty offer a sippy with water, if she wants dedicated mommy time offer a few minutes of cuddling, etc). You could also try limiting the length of the nursing session if you feel it's not for food (ie "We'll nurse until I'm finished singing ___________ song"). But if it's not bothering you, I would say just go with it.