17p (progesterone) shots for twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by danasacks, Oct 3, 2011.

1. danasacks

danasacks Active Member

A lot of the articles say that 17p is effective in preventing preterm birth, but NOT in women carrying multiples. Anyone try it and have any experience?

2. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Progesterone was prescribed to me at 27 weeks, however my insurance would not pay for it. So I never ended up taking it. I've heard good things about it though!

3. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi, I had a weekly p-17 shot from weeks 24-34. I almost delivered at 24 weeks and had a super short cervix. My MFM told me it was proven in singleton pregnancies, but not twins. We both agreed it was worth a shot. I needed any help I could get. I made it to 36 wks. I think I paid out of pocket, but I can't remember. The shots were only once per week, so it was better than IVF!

4. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

We didn't do it since it wasn't proven for multiples. Do you have a history of PTL or are you having any issues with your pg?

5. sheila185

sheila185 Well-Known Member

I have been getting the shot since 15 weeks. My HR Dr also said that although it is not AS effective in mulitples any help would be better than none. So far I have not gotten any information from insurance stating they will not pay for it. However, I have a cousin that is getting them and her insurance is not paying for them and they are about $165 a shot @ one per week. I have heard that if the Dr does it in office as opposed to sending a nurse to your home then it is more likely to be covered.

6. danasacks

danasacks Active Member

yeah I'm having some issues, trying to ward off the PTL. I started using them, and we did get it covered by getting the rx filled at a compounding pharmacy and making an appt with the MA at my docs office to get the inj. 23 weeks now, just trying to buy some time. Hoping some of you might have had success with it!

7. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

My PTL started at 20 weeks, and I was able to make it to 33. You can do this! Praying the progesterone shots help!!! :)

8. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I received them twice a week between 24 and 34 weeks. My insurance covered it.

9. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

You can definitely do this! ((hugging you)) PTL is such a hard experience but I'm glad they are keeping a good eye on you!!

10. praises1139

praises1139 Well-Known Member

my perinatologist recommended them to me at 22 wks when i was put on bedrest for a shortening cervix, however my OB and i chose suppositories instead (peri said either one was fine, it's just that in the US there have been more studies on the shots, whereas other countries use the suppositories more). he said they are not proven to work in multiples but that does not mean they don't work at all. there haven't been a lot of studies.
    now i am almost 30 wks (still on bedrest) and i was just put on Procardia because my contractions were becoming more frequent. the Procardia got me back down to 1-2 contractions/hr, so everything's good for now.

11. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I received them weekly starting at 16 weeks. I was told that they had to be started by 18 weeks (I think) in order for them to be effective. I had them until 32 weeks I believe. I started w BH around 16 weeks and shortening at around 20 weeks. I cannot say if they were effective or not or if it was the procardia or if it was the rest but it ALL paid off when I delivered at 35 and 5 with NO NICU!