1st Day Alone

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by dawnmj, Nov 22, 2006.

1. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

Ok so today is my 1st day alone with the girls all day. Dh returned to work on Monday and my mom was here for 2 days so today I am on my own.

I have been up since 4am and the girls are so fussy. Megan has a slight fever and so she really doesn't want to sleep but at least she is eating, Haley is being her usual fussy self although currently almost asleep. I feel like I am failing somehow. I mean they have cried more today than I have seen them cry in a while so I feel like I am doing something wrong.

I know it is going to get better, I know that this is the best thing for the girls, I am able to quit one of my 2 part time jobs to sty home with them and I am excited, but I guess scared. Oh and don't worry I am taking meds and they are helping.

dawn

2. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

Ok so today is my 1st day alone with the girls all day. Dh returned to work on Monday and my mom was here for 2 days so today I am on my own.

I have been up since 4am and the girls are so fussy. Megan has a slight fever and so she really doesn't want to sleep but at least she is eating, Haley is being her usual fussy self although currently almost asleep. I feel like I am failing somehow. I mean they have cried more today than I have seen them cry in a while so I feel like I am doing something wrong.

I know it is going to get better, I know that this is the best thing for the girls, I am able to quit one of my 2 part time jobs to sty home with them and I am excited, but I guess scared. Oh and don't worry I am taking meds and they are helping.

dawn

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

It's hard being alone at first. Give yourself and the girls some time to fall into a routine! It's ok for you to cry, it's ok for them to cry! It WILL get easier! The nicest thing my DH ever told me was "You're never a failure as a mom if you love your children and try your best to take care of them!" This applies to you too! [​IMG] [​IMG] You can do this, just give yourself some credit!

4. emmyshannon

emmyshannon Well-Known Member

I agree. My first day alone, I was pretty scared. DH called me about twenty times to see how I was doing. I am also on meds and know that helps me. It will get better. I found as soon I as got into a rythym, things seems to go a lot easier.

[​IMG]

5. valeriemiller39

valeriemiller39 Well-Known Member

Babies cry! That is what they do! You can not comfort them at every moment! They need to learn to comfort themselves. Have patience!

6. rodc

rodc Well-Known Member

BTDT, and did not like it much. One of the tough things with two infants is when both are unhappy at the same time. With only one, even if you can't make it better, you can snuggle them, bounce them on your shoulder, and feel like you are at least trying. It is very hard to bounce two at once!

Hand the babies to daddy when he comes home and go for a walk to clear your head, would be my advice.

Good luck, and remember, good days will come too.

I hope they feel better soon.

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

Dawn,

I am sure that you are doing fine. [​IMG] It would not be normal if they didnt cry some!! And the reason that you haven't heard them cry this much in a long time......girl, you have been working TWO jobs, you haven't been home!!!! I hope they aren't getting sick. Just give it a few days, and everyday you will figure something else out, and gain more confidence in yourself and them. [​IMG]

8. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I think Megan is reacting to the shots from Monday at least I hope. She has had a fever on and off all day and threw up once (she never does). Haley also didn't really drink all her formula at feeding again unusual.

So I can only hope it is the shots and them not getting sick, fingers crossed.

dawn

9. expectingtwo

expectingtwo Well-Known Member

First of all, of course they will be fussy. They've had sudden change with your husband leaving, and they surely pick up on your stress. You will get into a rythym, but just be patient about it. Try to slowly nudget them into a schedule so you can get some down time during the day. And hang in there!

10. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

Just wanted to send many hugs to you! It's been a while, but I remember all too well the first few days alone. Remarkably difficult, exhausting, overmelming....I constantly felt like I was somehow doing something wrong because my babies seemed more sad then happy. UGH!

You are doing a great job mama- just hang in there and keep us posted!

Lisa

11. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous posts. I'm home alone with them alot and it helps to have them on a schedule. I know what to expect at certain times and so do they. It's not very often that I have two crying together. I know which activities they do well at and which ones will make one/both of them mad in a few minutes.

Good luck [​IMG]

12. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I remember how scared I was when my dh was going to be going back to work with being with them alone. Right now, it's easier doing it alone than have anyone else around! The more you do it alone, the more things you do alone, the more comfortable you will feel. The more times you take them to the store alone, the easier it will be. You will develop a pattern and a schedule. It's harder now that Megan is sick. Just take one day at a time & get some time for yourself. Work on getting them down for naps at the same time. That is my saving grace! WTG for making it the first day!
    [​IMG]