2.5 year olds - how much do your kids talk?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by FourKiddos, Feb 1, 2010.

1. FourKiddos

FourKiddos Well-Known Member

My first child talked VERY VERY early. She was reciting her ABC at 15 months old and carrying full conversations at age 2. My second child needed speech therapy for 2 years. She was only saying one word phrases at age 2.5.

My twins are in the middle of my two older children with speech. They can repeat everything and talk in some sentences. They are not fluent in speech and they still do a fair amount of babbling, where we do not understand them. However, they ALWAYS understand each other - amazing to watch.

Where are your kids at with speech? I am debating on getting them evaluated. It was the best decision I made for my second child. I never know where exactly they should be since I had such extremes with my older two.

TIA

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls will be 28 months in a few days, and they talk in full sentences, and can carry on full conversations. There isn't much (if anything) that they say they we can't understand.

There is no harm in getting them evaluated. I always feel that its better to err on the side of caution. Good Luck!!

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

At 2.5 my girls were speaking in full sentances and carrying on conversations. They used past tense, present tense and future tense appropriately most of the time. They couldn't -- and still can't -- make all of the consonent sounds, but DH and I can understand 99% of what they say and strangers can understand about 85%.

I don't think my kids are the norm, though. There have been some good posts here about speech resources and from what I'm recalling, it sounds like your twins are on track if they're taking in some sentances and answering questions. They may also have some twin-speak going on (what sounds like babbling) that's delaying them a tiny bit?

You probably don't have anything to worry about, but if it would ease your mind, I'd say get an evaluation! It's only an hour or two of your time and if there's a problem the evaluator will notice. If not, you'll at least learn that your kiddos are right on target.

4. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

Hi! My twins are almost 27 mo and DS is in EI for speech (and slight social and cognitive) delay. I started the eval process at his 2yo appt. They tell me that DD has advanced speech and language development so the gap that I see is larger. She talks in complete sentences most of the time (except when upset/mad) and uses pronouns and past/present tense properly. Most everyone understands about 85% of what she says.

DS has some words, but rarely puts them together and when he does put them together only DH or I can understand him. He loses words (says them for a bit and then forgets/stops using them) and is very obstinate about speech.

It's always nice to hear that therapy really helps. I'm finding it challenging. The eval process was fairly painless, but you could ask your Ped first what they think.

I do notice some (twin) talk from DS where he babbles and DD clearly understands what he's saying although she can't translate for him (yet), we're still working on that! ;)

5. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Mine talk in full sentences and can carry on a conversation as well. Every now and then they will spit a word out that I don't understand...but it is rare these days and if I ask them to repeat several times I can usually figure it out.

If you are at all concerned, it wouldn't hurt to get them evaluated.

6. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

My DS will be 3 in May. He talks mostly in sentences, but we still have some trouble understanding alot of his words. We still have to say "Show me" probably once every 2 days or so because we have no idea what he's saying. He says "Me" and "My" instead of "I" and he doesn't pronounce alot of letters correctly.

He's hit all the milestones for language so far, so I'm not worried about him. "idril" said her girls could use different tenses correctly at this age - I don't think he even recognizes that there are different tenses.

Definitely listen to your gut, if you think they should be evaluated, it probably wouldn't hurt.

7. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

At 2.5 mine too were talking in full sentences and conversational. If you are concerned get an opinion couldn't hurt, right?

8. JessiePlus2

JessiePlus2 Well-Known Member

I've always been slightly concerned that my DD seems to be on the lower end of normal for language development. In the last month, she's started talking in actual sentences most of the time. Her sentences are short, stuff like "I drop the crackers" or "It's empty" or "Where go Aidan?" She uses I, my and me correctly now too. She really doesn't babble at all anymore. Sometimes I can't understand what she's saying, but I ask her to repeat herself, and then I can normally figure it out.

If you're concerned, you can call Early Intervention ASAP as it can take a month or more to get the evaluations done and services started. When they turn 3, the EI services stop and the school district takes over. You could also call the school district and get that evaluation process rolling, so that if they qualify for speech services, they could start when they turn 3.

9. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

My boys are ahead, according to our Ped, so I'm no help. They speak in full sentences, carry on full conversations, sing songs, sing ABCs, count to 10 (they can recite above it, but cannot COUNT above it), name all their colors & many shapes, etc. They use He/She/Me/My/I/Her/His/etc appropriately & use present/past tense correctly about 90% of the time.

Conner is behind Aiden. He doesn't enunciate as well & there are times where we have to ask him to repeat himself. He also speaks softly, so that doesn't help. He occasionally speaks out of order like, "Where the truck is?", but we understand him.

I always said that if I had any speech concern, I'd wait until 2 & then get them evaluated. I'd go with your gut...if anything you'll either get help or reassurance after an eval!

10. heybabalou

heybabalou Well-Known Member

It sounds like most of the people posting on this thread have kids who are ahead of the average. The rule of thumb is 2-word phrases at 2, 3-word phrases at 3 and so on. Those are averages, of course. My boys are 33 months. One speaks in sentences, but is just beginning to be conversational on a rudimentary level. I would say he is about average. My other son has a good vocabulary, but is only using 2 word sentences right now and isn't showing the range of sentences his therapists would like to see. He didn't speak at all (except for isolated words) before 30 months, so I consider him to be progressing well. He just had his assessment for the school district and he is right on the borderline for qualifying, hopefully his therapists will be able to make a case for services. He tested "1.4 standard deviations below the mean" in expressive language. Both boys know all their letters, colors, numbers to 20, and the main shapes.

So I would say get them evaluated to be sure, but they may tell you that they are in the average range. But it is free, so why not?