2 year old nap help

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by melissao, Dec 17, 2006.

1. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I am going to lose it [​IMG] They haven't really napped for days. We feed them lunch at 12:30 and put them down for nap at 1:30. The last few days they've just played, made poopy diapers and refused to sleep. Andrew pooped right before nap and then twice after I put him down. I think he's doing it on purpose! Today they didn't fall asleep until 3:40 and 3:50!!! I usually wake them up from nap at 4. [​IMG] Is this just part of the "terrible twos"??? Do I need to separate them for nap. They are in separate cribs in the same room. WWYD? Thanks everyone [​IMG]

2. melissao

I am going to lose it [​IMG] They haven't really napped for days. We feed them lunch at 12:30 and put them down for nap at 1:30. The last few days they've just played, made poopy diapers and refused to sleep. Andrew pooped right before nap and then twice after I put him down. I think he's doing it on purpose! Today they didn't fall asleep until 3:40 and 3:50!!! I usually wake them up from nap at 4. [​IMG] Is this just part of the "terrible twos"??? Do I need to separate them for nap. They are in separate cribs in the same room. WWYD? Thanks everyone [​IMG]

3. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I'd seperate them.
    My boys have been seperated since 17 months and it's the best thing I ever did.
    Once they outgrow naps, I'll move them back together I think.

4. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

Melissa, our kiddos are the same age and unfortunatly I think mine are giving up naps. I would try seperating them to see if it would help, but they may not need as much sleep anymore. I have never had good nappers, so I guess I don't know what I am missing out on (me time!), but I do understand. Another idea, since you normally let them nap till 4pm, why not try waiting until 2 or 2:30 to put them down. They may be tired enough to sleep for an hour to an hour and a half. It's possible that's all they need.

We are on the short end of sleep here. Today invovled no nap and same bedtime . . . they sleep about 10.5-11 hours at night. Augh!!!

5. twila

twila Well-Known Member

I stopped calling it 'nap' time around that age and switched to 'quiet time' - I would give them a special book to look at and kept encouraging them to be quiet (I threatened to take their book away if they didn't stay quiet and that always worked). Usually they would fall asleep within 15 minutes while reading their book but if they didn't sleep, at least they had a rest and we just had a REALLY early bedtime.

I had tried separating them first but that didn't work for us - they were too upset at the change of routine and then I lucked into quiet time and just kept using that until we gave up nap times over a year later. I also put them down earlier than you - I would try and have them down by 12:30 at the latest - it did seem like if I left it until later, we had more of a struggle. Just a thought.

6. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Some days we get naps, others we don't. We just went through a good nap period (like 10 consecutive good nap days), but they were a little under the weather. Yesterday a three hour nap, today no nap. They're BACK. At our house they eat around 11:30 and go down for their nap (on their request generally, serious victims of habit) by 12:45. Then often they proceed NOT to nap. sigh

If they aren't asleep by 2:30-2:45 I yank them. I don NOT want them falling asleep at 3 or later. Generally they do fine. So, we get the down time and get stuff done or rest in the middle of the day, and generally quite honestly, I really can't tell the difference in the PM between days they've napped and days they haven't.

I don't know. If separating them is realistic for you, give it a try. I'm just going to roll with it for a while and continue the "down time" (they nap or not their choice, it seems to be when they get along best also) and at some time, hopefully later than sooner, we just don't nap anymore.

7. r-twins

r-twins Well-Known Member

Connor started do that several months ago and I was dying thinking he was done with naps at 18 months! But we seperated them into their own rooms and he only did it for a month. Now he usually sleeps pretty well. If you can do it, I'd try putting them in their own rooms. Heather is a sleeper and this helped her. She usually sleeps longer now that they're alone.

Good luck. I know how hard it is when they don't sleep. You need some time, too! Especially when you're PG!!! [​IMG]

8. harryjacksmom

harryjacksmom Well-Known Member

Oh, Melissa, is it going any better? We've had on and off times over the last few months, but they seem to be getting back into the groove. With the wacky schedules we've had, it is encouraging to see that they still 'need' naps. GL - I'll send those good napping vibes your way [​IMG]

9. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine had already dropped naps by that age. They went to playing quietly in their room for an hour and then an earlier bedtime. It worked well for us once everybody got used to it.

Marissa

10. melissao

Thanks everyone!

[​IMG] I really do just want to cry. They've been up there for over an hour and are still not asleep. I changed a poopy diaper for each of them. I think I'm going to separate them, but I can't do it until after Christmas when all of our company is gone b/c I need the spare bedrooms while they're here. Naps just can't be over for good. That will be the end to my sanity [​IMG] They're so cranky if they don't nap, I really think they still need it. I fed them lunch earlier today and took them outside to play and burn off some energy. They should be tired!!! [​IMG] This is just infuriating!