2 years later - Mom still has severe hormone swings! Please Help!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by queenbeabea, Oct 25, 2014.

1. queenbeabea

queenbeabea New Member

Hi Everyone,
    Has anyone else experienced severe ups and downs this long after giving birth to twins? I am really struggling here, guys. It took me a good 18 months to piece together my life after having twins. Now I notice that I am really emotional and, I would almost say, depressed, especially before and during my period. That's half of the month! I'm so frustrated. I can barely tolerate being home with the kids (I have a 4 year old girl, as well) much less actually DOING anything. 

I have an appointment scheduled in a couple of weeks with my doctor, but I'm just so frustrated about it all. I've been going to therapy because of how traumatizing this experience has been and I'm just so disappointed that I'm still struggling with this 2 YEARS LATER. 

Thanks.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: They're starting to understand that postpartum mood disorders, anxiety, and depression can last a long time after birth. I wish there were some sort of quick fix. It sounds like it's been a long journey already. I'm glad you'll be seeing your doctor and I hope they'll be able to continue to support you.

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. I totally understand! I was suffering with those symptoms until my kids were almost 3!!! I guess it's all about hormone unbalance from the pregnancy! I did use hormone Birth control after brith, my mood got even worse! After I switched to non hormone BC, I have been much happier!
    So just hang in there. In the mean time, try to find a hobby and have some me time. I don't know if taking med will help. Personally, I am against that kind of meds! To me, the best is a healthy lifestyle. But it's really up to you!

Good luck!

4. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

This sounds so incredibly familiar. For me I def had some type of ppd/anxiety after our twins were born. I never sought treatment for it. It got much worse after our son was born 16 months later.i still did not seek treatment , and like you, it waxed and waned throughout the month and never went away. We had our last child 5 months ago and I felt ok and thought everything was decent until 6 weeks post partum and instead of my usual anger and sadness I felt overwhelming anxiety. I mentioned it to my dr and she finally persuaded me to take something.. Which is something I had dodged all my life, even though in retrospect I had underlying depression and anxiety that affected my day to day life. Unfortunately, the meds she put me on took 3 weeks to kick in and about two days later I had a severe panic attack and went for 4 full nights without sleep. I waited too long. It was the most humbling and debilitating experience of my life. I finally went to an ER and they were very compassionate and gave me some benzos to brake my insomnia/anxiety cycle. Until my long term anxiety/depression meds kicked in I was a wreck.

I know your situation isn't exactly like mine, but I can very much relate to the frustration/temper/anger issues .., which is, by the way, a symptom of PPD. The meds have really helped stabilize me and the anger/sadness is managed much much better. I think the fluctuating hormones and immense amount of stress, lack of sleep, etc all contributed. I was told that BCP's can make things worse , like someone else mentioned. For me, lifestyle changes were not enough.. I an a very healthy person... I exercise daily and eat right. I tried meditation and vitamins... I had tried everything to stay away from medication.

Because of how bad I let it get I had to resort to benzos to get my sleep cycles regulated, which are highly addictive and can be very dangerous. It took me a month to completely get off them. Please go talk to a doctor ASAP! You do not need to be going through this alone! Therapy is also very helpful. Both long term anti anxiety/depression meds and therapy are well supported by research. I also wanted to add something I learned in the process that was very important.... Please seek out a psychiatrist that specializes in postpartum mood disorders.. I found that there are a lot of doctors and nurse practitioners that want to medicate, medicate, medicate. I want to get off of the meds ASAP but frankly I feel more stable mentally/emotionally than I ever have. I hate the idea of needing something, but it has been for the good of my family. A psychiatrist is helping me to make a plan to get off of them as soon as I can. Also, there is a fantastic book that helps you to self-implement cognitive behavioral approaches, which is very well researched and apparently works very well.. It is for post partum anxiety specifically. Please pm me if you want. Take care of yourself.

5. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

I meant to say seek out a psychiatrist (not psychologist) who has a post partum mood disorder background..

6. nadine

nadine New Member

My twin girls are one and a half and I think I'm only just getting over the shock of it all. I was pretty dark for the first year and coping with FOUR, yes, FOUR other children really took it out of me. It takes a long time for our bodies to get over the pregnancy and birth of twins, let alone looking after them afterwards! My hormones are still pretty all over the place. But they do settle and it does get easier.
    Being a muma is a bloody hard job.
    I really try to stay positive and laugh rather than cry at the amount of shit I have to do (and clean) every day!
    aaaargh.... I can't even write an email without screaming kids!

Stay positive....we are lucky

7. TomasDavis

TomasDavis Member

Hello! Thank you for telling us about this! I have been depressed for a long time and I was told that CBD helps to get rid of it! If someone knows where you can buy them, then tell me about it!

8. AdamMiller

AdamMiller Member

Oh, it's so great that you started to worry about your health. Also, to help you, I would like to recommend this blessed CBD oil that you can use to improve your health. I recommend that you use the website https://blessedcbd.co.uk if you want to forget about insomnia, depression and other problems forever!