200% blood volume really??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mooshie, Dec 1, 2006.

1. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

ok, so the other day I was talking to this lady who had been pregnant with mono/di twins, and it was really nice to talk to someone else who'd had the same type of pregnancy, and she was saying that with twins you have 200% the blood volume that you regularly have.

I knew that with one there was a 50% increse, but I didn't think that with twins there was a 100% increase. is this really true? do we all really have twice as much blood as usual?

if anyone knows about this I'd love to hear your input.
    thanks
    Michelle

2. mooshie

ok, so the other day I was talking to this lady who had been pregnant with mono/di twins, and it was really nice to talk to someone else who'd had the same type of pregnancy, and she was saying that with twins you have 200% the blood volume that you regularly have.

I knew that with one there was a 50% increse, but I didn't think that with twins there was a 100% increase. is this really true? do we all really have twice as much blood as usual?

if anyone knows about this I'd love to hear your input.
    thanks
    Michelle

3. mom23cuties

mom23cuties Well-Known Member

There's a 100% increase with twins (twice the volume, not 200%).

4. mooshie

quote:
    Originally posted by mom23cuties:
    There's a 100% increase with twins (twice the volume, not 200%).

I wasn't saying a 200% increase. I meant to say that with the 100% increase there is a total of 200% blood volume. didn't mean to sound confusing. lol! I know what I meant. guess I'm not so good at making myself clear. I blame it on being pregnant. hehe
    Michelle

5. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Yes, it's true that with twins we have twice the volume of blood. All of these physiological changes happen in the first trimester, which is why you are soooooo tired then.

6. All Boys

All Boys Well-Known Member

Yes it is true, twice the blood. I had heart palpitations from it and the cardiologist told me my heart was having a hard time keeping up with all the extra blood... Take it easy!!

7. mooshie

oh! um..... I'm seeing my cardiologist for the first time durring this pregnancy on Wednesday. I wonder what he'll have to say???
    Michelle

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

True...at the end it looked like I had "man hands" with them being so swollen and the blood vessels were HUGE! [​IMG]

9. 807426

807426 Active Member

Mooshie -

Do you mind me asking why you are going to a cardiologist? I have a benign heart murmur and a cardiologist told me years ago to see a cardiologist whenever I got pregnant. My perinatologist said not to worry with seeing one. I'm not sure what to do...

Thanks.