24 months, took pacifiers away, won't nap

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Andrea Smith Goodson, May 12, 2011.

My twin girls turned 2 in April. We just took their pacifiers away a week ago. They have no problems going to bed at night and don't cry for them during the night. BUT it could be because they are exhausted. They will not nap. Now they seem to throw stuff out of their cribs, talk, yell, then cry. Whereas before, they'd grab their pacifiers and go right to sleep. Do they need to be split up? They are still doing great in cribs, so I wasn't sure what to put the other child in during a nap in a different room. Do I consider giving them their own rooms for good?

1. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think I would split them up unless you really want them seperated. It sounds like they are not acting up because there are two of them, but because they don't have their paci's anymore.

If it's only been a week, I'd continue to put them down for their nap and try to keep the rest of their routine as normal as possible. Hopefully, they'll start napping again for you! :)

Welcome to TS :)

2. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

:welcome:

ITA with Danielle, I bet it will just take a bit to transition them. I would just continue to be consistent with a nap routine and I bet they will eventually get back to napping for you. It might take a few weeks, but I would stick with it. Mine did go through a no napping phase at around age 2 that had nothing to do with paci's...but a phase nonetheless. I used soft relaxing music to get them back to napping. I put it on and they had to stay down for at least 45 minutes for quiet time. Most of the time they were out, but if they weren't asleep in 45 minutes I would let them up at that point. It took a few months, but they finally got back to napping. It might be worth a try.

3. Thanks! I think I will def keep them in their shared room then. If anything, my mom had a crib at her house that isn't really used anymore (we moved closer to them about 6 months ago). Maybe I can put that in another bedroom just for naptime.

4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Have you thought about giving the pacifier back but clipping off the end so it doesn't work? Obviously you have to watch to make sure they aren't chewing the end. That's what helped mine get rid of their's. They were "broken". :)

5. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I would wait and see. We just took our kids' pacis away a few weeks ago. It took about 2 weeks and their napping returned to normal. We had a few days of no naps and short naps. Their nighttime sleep didn't seem to be affected.

6. Thanks again everyone. I did clip the rubber off the pacies and they were livid! They said Binky broken!!! and looked at me like I was out of my mind. They just chucked them. Oh well. Today was the first day I put one of them in a crib in a different room (borrowed a third crib!) and they are both fast asleep. I'm wondering if this is a sign of wanting their own rooms. They wake up every day very ticked off and upset. It's miserable.