24 Weeks and contractions all day every day

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Tier1Terrier, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Tier1Terrier

Tier1Terrier Active Member

Today is 24 weeks + 2 days. Since about a few weeks ago when my wife was admitted to the hospital for 'contractions', they have pretty much been present every day, throughout the day and through the night. We're pretty sure they are the braxton-hicks type. They range for sporadic to a few every hour, but they don't seem to just go away. The are not painful but they do start small and spread all over the front of her belly - so far they are not moving towards her backside. She stays very well hydrated and is following all the doctors orders. The night times seem to bring the strongest contractions - every night we sit nervously on the sofa watching and waiting as the contractions come and go. We are so stressed out wondering if and when any of these contractions are going to cause us to run back to the hospital.

I realize this is not normal, but common. I'm just curious how common this is and how many other expectant mothers are (or have experienced) this degree / frequency of contractions this early on in the pregancy.

2. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I had these throughout, just like you described - sporadic and sometimes more often. My doctor always advised me if I had more than 5-6 an hour, I was to call.

3. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That sounds like all of my pregnancy's I had an irritable uterus. It does make it really hard to know when to go in and when not to. I really went with my gut feeling about most of it, also watched for discharge of any kind out of the ordinary. Mine were so common that with my first pregnancy I was on home monitoring and didn't have to go to l&d till I had more than 13 an hour. My uterus loved to contract. I can say it made my labors VERY easy. Between all 4 of my kids I only pushed a total of 4 times!

4. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

This sounds a lot like me with all of my pregnancies, even my singleton pregnancies. I guess I also had an irritable uterus, though a doctor never put that term to it. Contractions started around 24 weeks and got worse in the evening when I would actually be sitting down. I had 6+ an hour very often, so I decided that if I had 6+ contractions an hour for 3 hours that I would call... but I never had to until THE day. I did go on to deliver my twins pretty early (31 weeks) but my subsequent singleton pregnancies lasted longer (36 weeks, 38 weeks with progesterone injections). Just have her rest as much as possible and drink water until she can't stand it anymore!! Of course, let her doctor know and perhaps get periodical cervical length checks just to make sure nothing is going on down there. Good luck!

5. Tier1Terrier

Like I said, she's already drinking plenty of water and staying well hydrated. The problem that she has with that though is when she drinks too much water she gets even more contractions - the doctor thinks that may be caused by her bladder being too full and thus irritating her uterus (or something like that).

I'm worried that she's going to deliver prematurely but I realize there's not a whole lot we can do. How are your twins doing that came at 31 weeks?

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was going to say that along with drinking all the water she'll want to empty her bladder often too. A full bladder is like pushing a hard ball into her uterus constantly - definitely irritating. ;)

It sounds to me like you're already doing everything in your power that there is to do. I would maybe just double check with your care provider about what they find concerning & when they want you to go in & get checked so that you have some clear guidelines. Then, as hard as it is, take a deep breath & try to relax - stress & worry aren't going to help & are just going to use up your energy. :hug:

7. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi, I was on bedrest from 24 weeks on. I had a short cervix and a irritable uterus. Is your wife on any type of medication? I was on procardia that minimized the contractions. I think it was helpful. During the last trimester, I probably went back to the hospital 5 or 6 times due to increased contractions. They would usually give me something stronger (mag sulfate or others) via IV, monitor the babies and then send me home when things settled down again.
    If in doubt, I would go in and get her checked out. The labor and delivery staff are very experienced and helpful. Twin pregnancies can change quickly, so I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Hang in there and good luck!!

8. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

Hi! Hang in there -- I know how scary this can be. I was in your exact shoes around 8 months ago! I was experiencing near constant contractions at 23 weeks. My doctor was concerned about preterm labor and so I was put on bed rest. I was so worried!!! But I ended up carrying the babies to 39 weeks 1 day and had huge healthy babies (who are now happy almost 4 month olds).

You may want to read about FFN tests. That stands for fetal fibronectin, and can help you determine your risk for going into labor in the next week or so. I did a few of those and was always relieved when they came back negative.

I really do feel for you bc I know how scary this can be. But my sweetly sleeping babies are living proof that you can have constant contractions and be just fine!!!! I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

9. Tier1Terrier

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

It's been a difficult time for us, but we're hanging in there. We're very blessed to have gotten this far already. The contractions are fairly constant throughout the day. Sometimes as often as every 5 - 10 minutes. Last week we went to the hospital. They did the FFN test and it came back negative. They gave her a shot of Tebudaline (sp?) and upped her regular dose of Procardia to 10mg every 4 hours. We still have quite a ways to go - we hope she makes it till at least 34 weeks.

10. wvtwinmama

Great news on the negative FFN. Keep hanging in there -- every day makes a HUGE difference at this point. Keep us posted!

11. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I had contractions pretty much everyday from 24 weeks on. I had a few hospital stays as my cervix changed and I was on bedrest from 24 weeks until I delivered. My OB was positive I would not make it past 28 weeks. My twins were born at 37 weeks 1 day by scheduled c-section. Just keep doing what you are doing and it may turn out fine and you may have full term babies.

12. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

The negative FFN test is WONDERFUL news!!!

I was having contractions starting at 28 weeks, they stated I had a 'irritable uterus" ... I laughed at that and said of course its iritated, its carrying two babies one of which is VERY active! Anyway that was when I was put on modified bed rest, I was going in for weekly NSTs and then at 33 weeks my doc moved them up to twice weekly NSTs and still doing weekly cervical length checks. My cervix was shortening but not severely and we kept with the scheduled csection at 37 weeks and now the twins are 7 weeks and beautiful and healthy!

Tell her to keep up the good work, rest as much as possible! Btw- How many weeks is she now?

13. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:Clap: The negative FFN is a great sign. I agree, every day makes a big difference. How are things going now? :hug:

14. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So glad to hear of the negative FFN!!
    Please keep us posted on how she's doing!

15. Tier1Terrier

Thanks for the replies everyone.

We're at 26+5 right now and the contractions are still pretty steady. Every day all day. Sometimes one or two an hour, other times even more frequent. It's really hard on her but she's in pretty good spirits overall.

Her last CL was 2.8. It had been holding in the 3s until recently. The doctors say that it's nothing to worry about (yet).

The wont do the FFN test because they said it's not indicated unless she's admitted into the hospital (ER/L&D). That's when she had it last time anyway.

They told her to 'take it easy' but haven't told her she needs to be on bed rest.

It's very frustrating and every day seems like an eternity. Tonight she's having what she describes as a sharp occasional pain in her vajayjay. She called the 'on call' physician and was told that if it gets worse to go the the hospital. Not very reassuring but what else should we have expected to be told.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies again. I really appreciate it.

16. AKilburn

Im honestly surprised they haven't put her on bed rest. I guess my doctors were really cautious with me. I could be mistaken but I think they start worrying about the cervix at 2.4 ... I could be wrong but I know its in the 2s.

As always if y'all feel its something really wrong head up to l&d ... Better to be cautious than not.

17. wvtwinmama

Way to keep hanging in there!! Of course, if you feel like you need to, always head in to L&D. But for what it's worth, a lot of us have experienced that sharp stabbing pain down there while we were pregnant. I've read lots of different theories, including a baby kicking against the cervix. Not sure what it is, but I remember feeling that too.

I think that my doctor was like the poster's above, and would only get truly worried about cervical length if it dropped below 2.5. But I'm a little surprised they don't want to run any FFNs. Though I had a friend who was going through the same thing at the same time I was, and she didn't want to take those tests, since they do have false-positive rates.

You guys are doing awesome. Keep us posted.

18. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

I was placed on modified bed rest at 24 weeks because they caused me to dilate to 1cm. By 31 weeks I was hospitalized for PTL and put on strict bed rest when I got out after 6 days and put on procardia. I continued to have contractions until I stopped the med and could deliver. Instead I had to be induced. GL to you and your wife! I hope she can keep them cooking for another 10+ weeks!

19. AKilburn

I was just thinking about y'all and was wondering how your wife was feeling and how everything was going. Hope everything is okay!

20. Tier1Terrier

Thanks, Let me start by saying that the buns are still in the oven!

So... My wife was admitted to the hospital 3 weeks ago (routine hospital visit revealed CL had shortened to 1.5cm) and we've been living here since, and are told she'll be here until she delivers. Strict bed rest with a bedside commode. Magnesium Sulfate IV drip. Laying flat to very slightly inclined at ALL times, including while eating. It's hard. Really hard. Every day seems like an eternity. For my wife, I can't imagine how hard this is for her. I don't know how she does it. We're doing everything we can to stay positive and keep our spirits high.

This Tuesday, 10/30 will be 30 weeks!!!

Tomorrow we have our growth scan ultrasound and hope that everything is right on track.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

21. wvtwinmama

Thanks for updating us. 30 weeks is a HUGE milestone! I was playing with my friend's 30 weeker, who is now 8 mos old, just two days ago. He had a 6 week stay in the NIcU, but has already almost caught up on most milestones and you would never know to look at him that he was born so early. I've got you guys in my thoughts and prayers. What your wife is doing is sooo hard, but sooo worth it. Grow babies grow!!!

22. Tier1Terrier

Both babies scored 8/8 on their BPP today.

Baby A weighs 3 lbs 1 oz and B weighs 3 lbs 4 oz.

Every bit of good news helps.

23. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Wow...your wife is a trooper! Glad they are still cooking!!

24. Tier1Terrier

As of this Monday (29 W 6 D) her cervix was still closed.

2 people like this.
  25. wvtwinmama

Great news!! Keep 'Em cooking!!!