26 weeks, .9 cervix, 1cm dilated, opinions?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TampaTwins, Mar 22, 2007.

1. TampaTwins

TampaTwins Member

Hi everyone,

My wife and I went for her 26 week appt with the peri on Wednesday. Last week, he found her cervix was at 2.3cm and funneling. She was having no contractions and sent home on bedrest. On monday, we saw her ob who did a measurement and found 2.3cm. Two days ago, they took the measurement and it was down to .9cm and she was 1cm dilated. We went directly to the hospital where they found she was having contractions about 1.5 minutes apart. They gave her a shot of Turb, the contractions slowed down, but then the ob put her immediately on a mega dose of magnesium, then a drip. Terrible side effects. They reduced the mag and also gave her indicin. The contractions are down to one or two an hour. She is now off the mag for about 8hrs and the contractions are still only about 1-2 per hour. The peri didn't sound too optimistic today. Anyone else in this type of situation, or have been in a similar situation? She is only 26 weeks and 3 days. We are terrified that these babies are coming soon. They did give her steriod shots for the babies' lungs, and that increased her suger, so she's on insulin now. How long can she expect to realistically hold on? She is tilted in the bed to keep the pressure off the uterus, and she's not getting up for any reason. Some doctors are saying she could go for weeks, and this doctor today said she could deliver soon. She also had a negative fnn test on monday. We are so confused because we get so many different doctor's opinions. Please share some real stories. What can we expect regarding treatment and best practices????

thanks so much
    brian

2. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

I don't personally have any experience with a shortened cervix but I know from reading these boards that it could go either way. I think they are taking the right precautions (terb, mag, indocin, steroids, etc). I went through all of those drugs myself when I had PTL and was on hospital bed rest.

If they haven't already, ask the hospital staff for one of the NICU docs to come in and discuss expectations, etc. You wife won't be able to tour the NICU but you can. They can introduce you to some of the machines and procedures that go on so it isn't as scary if your babies are in there.

Your wife has a really hard few weeks (hopefully) ahead of her on hospital bedrest. Anything you can do to help her pass that time or make her more comfortable will be much appreciated by her.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

[​IMG]s! I am sorry this is happening. Sounds like the docs are taking good care of her and the babies. Celebrate everyday, that she is still pregnant! [​IMG]

4. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

Both docs are correct. It really can go either way. My sis had her water break at 26 weeks. She lasted 4 weeks in the hospital before my nephew finally came. You can skim through these boards and find stories that go both ways. I hope your DW can keep those little ones in as long as possible. She is going to need alot of support. I will keep you all in my thoughts.

5. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the contractions and cervical changes. It really does depend on each pregnancy.

There is another thread titled How long can I make it? in regards to being dialated which you might find helpful to read, you can find it here.

My cervical changes were noticed at 29 weeks, contracting every 2 minutes, under 1.7cm in length, 80% effaced, funneling with a bulging bag. I did the mag for a week and a half then was given nifidepine via pill. I was able to carry to 36 1/2 weeks and neither baby spent a moment in the NICU!

Keep your spirits up, it can definitely happen!!! It sounds like she is getting great medical care and that is fantastic!!

6. traci_roo

traci_roo Well-Known Member

I went into the hospital at 22 1/2 weeks because my cervix had funneled to 1.3 cm and I was 1/2 cm dilated. My contractions were not as bad as your wife's seemed to be. I was put on indocin for 3 days then given procardia. They gave me the steroid shots at 24 weeks and I also got conflicting info from every doctor. They weren't sure I could carry my babies to 28 weeks, but I am still holding out (even at home now) and made it past 33 weeks.
    If your wife is following doctors orders, she is doing all she can to keep those babies cooking.
    It sounds like they are taking an aggressive approach that seems to be working for now.
    I will keep you in my thoughts!

7. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

Brian - I'm so sorry to hear this! I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers - I so hope she can hold on for a few more weeks. I took a turn about 2 weeks ago as well and spent 5 days at TGH on mag, but I am now "ok" and on a terb pump and home health monitoring, so I can understand (to an extent) how you must be feeling. If there is ANYTHING my husband and I can do to help, you know we're around the corner, so please let me know!

- MJ.

8. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

You all are in my thoughts and I am so hoping that she can keep those little babies in as long as possible! I started dilating at week 27. I was 1cm, the next week I was 2, and then the next week, I was 5! I didnt feel any contractions, even after they admitted me and I was in active labor. They tried everything to stop my labor but it didnt work. They were hoping to last a few more days but when they did an internal exam they found baby "a" was butt first and were afraid if my water broke that we would have a prolapsed cord (cord comes out first cutting off supply) so they delivered them at 30 weeks. We were lucky that our girls were born with no health problems. They spent 8 weeks in the NICU to gain weight and learn to eat.

If your babies are born early, your wife will need the support for when her babies are in the NICU. It was devasting to me and I could barely function with them in there. It makes it easier having someone there to support you through it...

9. mjv386

mjv386 Member

Hey Brian,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I just wanted to let you know that I posted almost the same exact post 10 weeks ago (when we were 21 weeks) about my wife and our twins. She was dialated to about 1 cm and her cervix had been at 2.0 and then a week later at 1.0. She went on strict bedrest and has held out over 10 weeks so far. We also had 2 negative FFN tests. Our Peri and the other Peri's that saw my wife in the hospital told us that the negative result from the FFN was much more predictive then her cervix length.

Hang in there! You guys will be in our prayers.
    Mike

10. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

That is great Mike! See Brian, there are so many positive stories out there to give you and your wife some hope. I can't tell you how many times I have heard that story and later found that these same women have carried their babies to term. It happens. Hang in there. This must be so nerve wracking for you. But there are so many positive endings and I am hoping your's is one of them!

11. MomToBeX2

MomToBeX2 Well-Known Member

I was in a similar situation, HOWEVER my ffn test came back positive. We suspected it was a false positive, until they saw my funneling cervix. I was on hospital bedrest for over two weeks and was in Trendellenberg for the last few days of that. The last couple days of my pregnancy I was having very small contractions every 7 minutes or so. I had a couple of shots to stop them but even though they were tiny, they were dilating me. i went from 2cm to 5cm in a matter of days. My dr examined me the day I turned 28 weeks, that's when it was discovered that i was 5cm and my dr could feel one of my babies' heads. I had an emergency c-section that day.

They were expecting me to hold out for a few more weeks - or at least hoped I would anyway. The best thing you and your wife can do is try your best to relax, and keep her in bed. I really hope she can hold out for another 4, 6, 8, or even 10 weeks. But if she can't, know that technology is so advanced now, they can do just about anything for preemies! I have been amazed the past month at what has been done for my children. Just try to remain positive!

12. TampaTwins

TampaTwins Member

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers and for sharing your stories. They really do give us hope. My wife has been moved up to the 3rd floor of the hospital as they have stopped the contractions with the meds and she is stable. They are watching her closely and will do another cervical measurement today. Based on that, they will determine what happens next. She is feeling MUCH better after being off that nasty mag drip. That stuff was scary. The doctors that we've seen in the last two days have been much more positive and hopeful, so that was great. All we can do is hope and pray that the contractions stay away and keep her in bed....! She has some mental breakdowns here and there as the thought of everything that is happening is settling in. But we know she is in a great hospital and in the safest place for the babies right now. I will keep everyone posted and I'm praying that I can add another positive story to this message board. Thank you all of your support.

brian

13. becky5

becky5 Guest

Brian hang in there. So glad to hear she is stable for now. If possible, make sure she has some visitors pop in a few times a day. I was on bedrest for 9 weeks at home, and one of the worst things was just laying there alone, all day long. It gives you WAY to much time to think and worry. My spirits were much better on days that I had visitors. [​IMG]

14. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

Your story gave me chills as it just sounds so similar to what we went through! By 26wks, I was dilating, 100% effaced and baby A was already at +1 station. They gave me steroid shots on Friday morning and promised they would do their best to keep me pregnant 24 hours for the second dose but said they expected me to deliver before the weekend was over...I was 26w2d and that night was the terrifying!

My story ended beautifully. By the end of that Sunday, when the drs were confident I would have delivered, I was still contracting but my cervix was unchanged and I was moved back to our antepartum unit. I spent 8 long weeks in the hospital and then one short week at home before I delivered my healthy boys at 34w6d.

I'm relieved to hear the doctors have things managed right now and hope that stays the case for many more weeks.

15. Tasha

Tasha Well-Known Member

Hang in there! You guys are quite a ways along already. I was on bedrest from 25 wks. on, and made it a long ways. I wasn't in the exact situation you were though. BUT, my SIL and brother were. They could have written your post. I am happy to report, that although the babies weren't going to stay put, and were born at 27 weeks, they are both home now and are right on target for weight and health and all!!!! [​IMG] That was after a 3 month NICU stay, but they are doing super!

I think that the things that helped me and could have helped my SIL a little more are just being super strict on your bedrest (even if my doc said I could maybe take a shower every day, I would do every other, etc.) And just to remember that you are already parents and doing what is best for the babies just as you will when they are here. So base your choices on that. You are doing great, and if you are on here asking for help for your wife, it shows that you are doing great at supporting her. It is SOOOOO tough to depend so much on everyone else, and I hated not being able to care and cook for my husband. But soon and very soon, you will be able to both care for eachother and TWO blessings again! [​IMG]

16. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

It really can go either way. She's doing the best possible thing to stop it, hospital bedrest. It's very good she had the steroid shots.

I had a cervix of 1cm or less from 22 weeks on, but I had a cerclage in place. With bedrest, 4 weeks of it in the hospital, I held on until 31 weeks. And I delivered because baby A PROM'd, not because my cervix gave out.

Sending prayers and it is very good the FFN test came back negative.

17. Inlowtwins

Inlowtwins Well-Known Member

Hi Brian -

I had a very similar situation, with a short and funneling cervix at 20 weeks. Bedrest did wonders for me and my cervix actually lengthen. Unforunately I caught a stomach bug at 26 weeks 4 days and nothing could stop my labor, I was unable to get the steroid in time. Also - not to scare you, but so you will be aware I too had a negative FFN test 3 days earlier. Our girls were born that night. They were in the NICU for 9 long weeks, but came home a month before their due date. They are now 13 months and you would never know. They are heathly and perfect in every way! I will keep you and your wife in my prayers and that she came keep cooking those babies! Please PM me anytime if you have questions about my situation.

Kimberly