3 1/2 year old MUST do EVERYTHING himself

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Jun 12, 2011.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Please tell me I am not alone in this. My boys are almost 3 1/2 and this past week, my one DS must do everything himself. If I turn on the light, he freaks out. If I open or close anydoor door, meltdown. If I put or take off the toilet ring for the potty :grr: If his brother (or even me) dare take their shoes out of the storage bench....watch out. :diablo:

The thing that is so annoying is that this all started less than a week ago. He's always been my laid back one who would just go with the flow.

I'm guessing this is just another one of those lovely phases :faint: . I know when this one stops, another one will be right behind it. :drown:

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You too, Judy? My DD has been in this phase for a while. Just yesterday, she wanted to climb in the car herself...except that her side of the car was facing the street where all the cars were coming and DH wanted to put her in the van and then have her climb in the seat. Needless to say, she FREAKED out. Screamed the whole way home and kicked the back of my seat. She always has to help and wants to do everything herself. After her little episode yesterday, we put her in time out to calm down and when she calmed down, we both had to explain to her that Daddy did not feel it was safe for to climb in the car herself and when we feel it's safe, she can climb in herself.
    I do try to let DD do as much as I can...she helps set the table, gives her brother his vitamins, picks out her own outfits, dresses herself as much as she can, bathes herself to the best of her ability, brushes her own teeth, I have her help me shut the doors and turn on lights too.
    I'll be happy when this phase ends :faint:

3. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

My chill baby is starting to do that too. You can't pour his drinks or close caps on jars. He wants to do it or scream. He wants to put on his own socks and shoes. He's ok with me brushing his teeth, but sometimes, he wants to do it himself. It's amazing how independence hits you like a runaway train. I've tried to make deals. He can close the caps if I pour. He can hold the cup while I pour. He can put on his shoes if I put on the socks (I'll only interfere with putting on his own clothes if we are in a rush). I'll try to find a compromise with the things he wants to do if I don't think he's ready for everything he wants to do with it. He surprised me the other day. I put faith into what he wanted to do and he did it all by himself. He wanted to get his own sippy cup (if he wants to walk around, he has to use one), get a bottle of water, open the cap, pour it in to his own cup, then close his own sippy cup. He did it with little mess! I can't say I'll let him do this all the time, but I did decide to give him some more freedoms. Spilled water is not a big deal to me. Cameron also is starting to fight for some freedoms. Whatever freedoms I give Kiefer I have to let Cameron decide if he wants that same freedom. He'll scream less if he doesn't get it on most days, but he has his moments too.

It's the age. It's all about pushing those boundaries and seeing what they are capable of.

4. BigKyle

BigKyle Active Member

I read the title to this and just started chuckling to my self....

My boy Aiden is so independent... If you lay him down for a diaper change, its "No, Me!!" then he will stand him self back up and then lay down..

No matter what it is he needs to do it... I think its cute, but i drives me crazy sometimes. I dislike it the most when its pouring rain out side, and its "No, Me!" when trying to get him in the car and his car seat...lol

From what i read this is just another exciting phase. I normally just say "Ohh, sorry" with a little chuckle and let him do it himself, unless its an unsafe situation or something like that.

I try to keep telling myself through all these phases, is just try to find the good in them while you can, before you know it, it will be gone, and you will never get that time back, so make the most of it while you can! It won’t last for ever.