3 carseats... without a minivan or large SUV...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by maybell, Dec 10, 2011.

1. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

So... we're trying to research carseats/baby carriers and cars... oh ugh!

I have a Volvo V50 (wagon), and am pretty sure I can't fit a baby carrier in there with 2 carseats... I guess I need to try it out, but just wondered what others have done. I really don't want a large SUV or a minivan. We do have the narrow Sunshine Radian carseats for the twins, so at least I have that going for me...

anyone out there fit 3 across in a car, small SUV or wagon?
    For now, I just need a baby carrier and the 2 carseats.

I have found this resource that gives measurements of the carriers/carseats.
    measurements info

thanks in advance for any ideas. shelley

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I have a Subaru Tribeca that fits all three seats across the back. It also has a third row. The Mazda CX9 will hold three seats and has a third row too. Both are mid-size crossovers.

3. maybell

cool thanks! I'll be checking out some stats on those!

oh and I wanted to add, that I'd love something with good mileage... either gas or diesel etc.

4. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We have a Ford Flex, which is a crossover. It has tons of room, especially between the first and second row. We have one with captains chairs, so it's easy to get to the back seat. We love it! Previously, we had a minivan which we really liked too but like the Flex much better.

5. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I have a Buick lacrosse and have had one gracias baby seat and two britax marathons in it before

6. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Oh, and my Mom had a Ford Taurus. She can fit 3 across, but it's a tight fit.

7. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

i bet it fits w the radians.

8. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

My sister was able to fit three across a Honda CRV...but it was tight.

9. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

We're actually looking at having to get two infant car seats in with a convertible car seat (since I had my singleton first) but we're looking at the 2012 Dodge Journey. It's a mid-size SUV so it may be a bit bigger than what you would like but a third row is an option, if you feel like you'll need it. It's advertised as getting 26 mpg/highway. Not stellar but better than what I had expected. Just another option, if you're still looking.

10. maybell

i got so busy with life i forgot to post back! i actually got a skinnier car carrier the combi shuttle 33 and wow it fits just perfectly between my radians! woohoo. but I'm sure something with the third row will be on the horizon in the future. i will have to look at the suv u just mentioned 26mpg wow! thanks for all the other suggestions too! at least for now I'm not in a crunch to have to buy anything!!

11. maybell

i got so busy with life i forgot to post back! i actually got a skinnier car carrier the combi shuttle 33 and wow it fits just perfectly between my radians! woohoo. but I'm sure something with the third row will be on the horizon in the future. i will have to look at the suv u just mentioned 26mpg wow! thanks for all the other suggestions too! at least for now I'm not in a crunch to have to buy anything!!

12. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I just put 2 carseats and a booster in my little 91 Honda Civic yesterday. Most of the time I drive our van that gets 16mpg. But we have the little Honda that I drive when I'm going by myself or just with a couple of the older kids, because it gets 32mpg. They're both paid for, so it makes sense to keep it... especially since I live out in the country and it's a 1/2 hour drive to get to any shopping, Dr.'s appt, etc. Normally, if I have to take the little ones, I just drive the van. But the other day I was taking just the 3 littler ones to go over an hour away. It was a TIGHT squeeze and I had to take the armrest off the booster to make it. Plus, I had to buckle Sydney in in because she couldn't figure it out in the tight space. But it was kind of fun to have them all in the seat right behind me! And they had a lot of fun seeing out the windows easier than in our big van.

13. maybell

sorry for the duplicate post, thought I'd posted last night but it was sitting on my phone this morning I guess so I hit Post again!

Dielle - where there's a will there's a way! love that you have the option of taking different vehicles!

14. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like the Dodge Journey is a no-go for us as well. We went to test drive one today and the third row seating doesn't work quite as I had envisioned it and I don't see any way to make it work with 3 car seats (at least not as long as any of the kids need help getting in and out of the car seats). So we're looking at mini-vans now.

15. maybell

bummer, it sounded like a neat SUV... good luck with your search!