3 is the worst age ever!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MrsWright, Jan 20, 2014.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is all.

At least she's cute;)

2 people like this.
  2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Lol I am right there with you. I just hope it's because he's 3 and not because he's going to be a behavior problem for life.

If he would just stay in his bed all night for one night that would be great!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hated three.

4. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes I hated 3 with the boys and Hannah is right along with them! We call her a threenager because she's bipolar high and low, and Aimee, do I ever hear you!!! She's out of bed at least 3x a night, sometimes more!!! Ughhhhh!!!!!! She's also 3 and HALF and I don't know about your kids but mine always freak out at the halfway point! Like identity crisis "do I act like I'm 3 or do I act like I'm 4?! Oh Gosh I don't know somebody help me! I need a juice and some cookies. HELP!!" Haha

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Everyone talks about the "terrible twos" but in my experience, 2 has NOTHING on 3!  Now my youngest is 4 1/2, so we're pretty much past the constant whining, tantrums over completely ridiculous things (being asked to pick up a sock, or put their bowl in the sink, having to wait 5 minutes until dinner, etc), and the flip-flop between having to do everything for themselves and refusing to do things they're perfectly capable of.  Luckily, 3 year olds tend to be very funny and adorable.

6. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

[SIZE=medium]Ditto! Mine are 3½ and I am just stunned.  I am reading more about discipline than ever.  Thank goodness they are so cute.[/SIZE]

7. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Yes, 3 was terrible!!  WAY worse than 2.  One of my boys has finally turned the corner at just past 4 and is MUCH more reasonable and so much easier.  The other one still has a ways to go, but hopefully we will get there soon.  I am tired of the ridiculous meltdowns, whining, and crying for sure.

8. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Well, my kids are 3 and 4 months, and I was thinking to start a behavior discussion about Vanessa. She is throwing ridiculous tantrums over little things - like spilling some pasta on the table while eating, spilling milk on herself while drinking, not aligning the electric train properly on the track, Max making weird faces at her, Max trying to give her a hug... pretty much anything sets her off and I don't get it, it just started a few weeks ago. Of course, when she's OK she's so sweet and smart and she comes up with the most interesting phrases and you wonder how she knows that? She's even developing a sense of humor. But I think she's a mess - emotionally speaking. She's maturing fast on the intellectual level, she is growing really fast - I think she grew an inch since her birthday- but her emotions are not evolving as fast. I am trying to be as patient as possible.

Thank you Kim for starting this thread - it gives me hope she will get over this -EVENTUALLY. Max was going through something similar 2 months ago but she's a girl and she screams louder... of course :)

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Three was the worst age here by far.  Believe me, how my kids behaved at 3 was not an indicator of future behavior.  On the whole, they are pretty good kids.  I'd say the first 6 months of being three was worse then the last 6 months of being three.  At 4, things started to level out.  Hang in there!

10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Agree with Nancy, by 4 they did level out, but 3 definitely worse for us.

11. JuliaS82

JuliaS82 Active Member

Nooooooo! My two are about to turn 3 in March.. any tips on how to make the year easier?

12. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Julia S - get stocked up on wine. :laughing: I don't really think there's anything you can do.

Here is Cooper one day last week at dinner. He didn't want to sit in the middle. He never ate that night. It just wasn't worth it when he couldn't get the seat he wanted. After the girls were done he could have sat in one of their seats but he didn't want to.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Three and the first half of four were miserable. Now I just have one mouthy teenage girl on my hands, and one with a vocabulary entirely dedicated to fart jokes. Still an improvement on 3.

14. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

My boys are 3 1/2 and there are days I am almost driven to tears.... no....correction....I AM driven to tears....from their meltdowns and tantrums over the SMALLEST stuff. Some days they both tantrum ALL day. I have sometimes wondered if they have some emotional problems but people keep tellin me that NO they are just 3! Well I am ready to be past 3 that is for sure!!!  :headbang: :wacko: :crazy:

15. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

3 is the WORST age ever. I have a 16yr old and believe me teen years have nothing on a 3 yr old!! With my 5 oldest kids I can remember counting down the days until they turned 4 and reassuring myself that I would like them again soon! lol Knock on wood my twins are angels at 3 yrs old. Maybe Karma thought I was put through enough with the first 5?

16. rosserj

rosserj Active Member

Agreed 3 was definitely the worst and now they are 4 it is improving, slowly but surely. To Julia S, you never know you might be ok, speaking with a friend last night she said the 2's were worse and things improved at 3

17. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

and fake tears and crying as if their feelings hurt beyond the moon when they don't get what they asked for!

18. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Saw this and thought of this thread.

ETA- one more

ok, i am just starting to see glimpses of these.. I hope i can still laugh in a year and a half from now.

19. rosserj

rosserj Active Member

Ha ha, I'm sure at least 2 of these occurred over breakfast this morning

20. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

Thanks, needed this. Caitlin is the queen of tantrums and crying at the moment. Can relate to more than one of these.  :winking:

21. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Really???!! To me, the older they are, the better. We had some behavior issues but no biggie. My kids are turning 4 in apr. and last yr, we had a blast!!

Well, my daughter became dramatic and short temple sometimes. She also is way too much in to girly stuffs which I hate it lol. My boy is stubborn sometimes. But we did so many fun things and traveled alot. We have strict rules for everything since they were 15 months (or 18??). Also, i give a big huge credit to their Catholic preschool they have been going as well. So far, we are having good 2014 and will travel alot since I run 50 half marathons-50 states.

Oh, even my kids are almost 4. I can't deal with a crying whiny toddler. I would get furious in secs.

22. Lexieade

Lexieade Active Member

My kids just turned 3 last week. This post has me scared