3 year old tonsil/adenoid removal

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by SC, Feb 16, 2013.

1. SC

SC Well-Known Member

It has been recommended to us that one of our 3 year old boys undergo tonsil and adenoid removal surgery. Both are very enlarged and the docs feel they are contributing to frequent/worse colds, sleeping issues, and triggering his asthma. He also has fluid built up on his ears which is muffling his hearing and they feel this, too, is attributable to the tonsil/adenoid issue.
    Has anyone's LO undergone this surgery at this age? Are you happy you did it? Did you see a significant improvement? How bad was the recovery?
    Thank you.

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I haven't been through it with my kids, but I know a family whose 2.5 year old just had his down. It went well, and he bounced back very quickly. Of course they didn't like putting him through the surgery, but it was definitely what they needed to do.

3. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

My son had it done in September, 5y10m. He was speech delayed and always snored (loudly). Had a hearing test done at age 3, normal. Had a speech assessment done a year later, 1 year behind with expressive language (comprehension normal). About 1 ear infection a year, but always needed 2 courses of antibiotics. Failed hearing test at Student Health Service at age 5 1/2. Took him back into ENT and repeated hearing test (mild hearing loss in both ears, below 40-50db) and sleep apnea as well. Had tonsils and adenoids removed, grommets put in. Hearing is back to normal and is expected to further improve. No more snoring. Had one minor ear infection since. He stayed 1 night and recovered very very quickly. No problems. Speech has definitely improved as well, especially certain sounds he was unable to hear clearly.

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Jonathan had his tonsils/adenoids removed just after he turned 3. He was cleared within a week to no restrictions. In the 6 months following, he grew 4 inches and went from 75%ile in weight to 95%ile. He stopped snoring, and his behavior started to improve.

5. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

My twins will be getting this done and getting ear tubes as well March 22. One of my older daughters just had it done in September and it has done wonders for her. Hasn't been sick since. Hoping the same will happen for the twins.

6. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

We did both twins at 4.5. It was not bad. (for me anyway) LOL. No, it's fine they can stay in patient for the night and are literally better 24 hours later!!