@ 33 weeks OB wouldn't stop labor!??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Colette P., Dec 3, 2006.

1. Colette P.

Colette P. Well-Known Member

I'm always interested that so many of the mommies-2-B here know all sorts of vital stats about their babies and their own condition: whether they're dilated, how long their cervix is, whether the cervix is showing any signs of funneling, how much amniotic fluid there is, and BPP's. I, on the other hand, don't have any of this information.

So, during my 33 week appointment, I asked what they look for during monthly US (next one on Thursday) - he said just to make sure the babies were the same weight - that there isn't any discordance. (I thought discordance was more than just about weight, but about overall size (length, etc.).) I asked if he was going to check to see what the cervix was doing. He said he didn't really care what the cervix was doing in that I was far enough along that even if I was dilating and contracting, he would only stop labor long enough to get the steroids in!!! He went on to say that babies at this stage of pg do very well - especially after 34 weeks! He suggested that at this point risks from the meds to stop labor and the risks of delivering are about equal.

Oh my goodness! Does this sound reasonable? It's freaking me out.

2. Colette P.

Colette P. Well-Known Member

I'm always interested that so many of the mommies-2-B here know all sorts of vital stats about their babies and their own condition: whether they're dilated, how long their cervix is, whether the cervix is showing any signs of funneling, how much amniotic fluid there is, and BPP's. I, on the other hand, don't have any of this information.

So, during my 33 week appointment, I asked what they look for during monthly US (next one on Thursday) - he said just to make sure the babies were the same weight - that there isn't any discordance. (I thought discordance was more than just about weight, but about overall size (length, etc.).) I asked if he was going to check to see what the cervix was doing. He said he didn't really care what the cervix was doing in that I was far enough along that even if I was dilating and contracting, he would only stop labor long enough to get the steroids in!!! He went on to say that babies at this stage of pg do very well - especially after 34 weeks! He suggested that at this point risks from the meds to stop labor and the risks of delivering are about equal.

Oh my goodness! Does this sound reasonable? It's freaking me out.

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My doctor told me that he wouln't stop mine either!??
    and he has never checked my cervix! (the tech at the peri's office did once w/ ultrasound but only because I asked and that was
    2 months ago!!)

4. cbrown39

cbrown39 Well-Known Member

My doctor also said that he would not stop labor at 34 weeks and on. I already had the steriod shots. But like you I didn;t know any of the information eithrt untill I startd asking at my U/S vistis. My doctor also didn't really care about the results except that they weigh about the same and they have enough fulid. Thats all he cares about. SO don't freak every doctor does things differnt.

5. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I was 29 1/2 weeks when all of my cervical changes were noticed. My peri told me that if I had been 30 weeks it would not have been a big deal at all. He said things begin to progress and that was normal, think of all the women you know who have walked around dialated for weeks. Things do start to happen but changes are often normal once you reach that stage so monitoring them isn't quite as important as it would be in the earlier stages.

My OB wouldn't stop labor after 34 weeks, I too had already gotten the steroids.

6. Mellie03

Mellie03 Active Member

My OB told me the same thing. However, I've already had my steriod shots and I also have placenta previa, so I thought it was related to that. She did say that at a certain point the drugs they would have to use to stop labor (ie, mag sulfate, like they used on me during my bleed at 27 weeks) would cause more risk to both me and the babies than the early birth would. The drugs they use to stop labor are VERY powerful and have a lot of side effects, so I could see her point there.

Good luck!

Mellie
    DD 2 years old
    29 weeks 5 days b/g twins!

7. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I was told by my peri and ob since 28 wks that if I went into labor, they wouldn't stop it HOWEVER for me it has to do with other issues we're dealing with. They feel that if my body wants to deliver, it's because my Baby B is suffering and needs out.
    So far so good.
    34 weeks seems so early, but they do very well statistically. I'll be 34 tomorrow, and I think if they were born then, we'd be looking at 2-3 wks NICU time.

8. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Ditto here. Peri was thrilled i made it to 34 weeks due to my size 50cm!!! He said he would not stop labor after that point! I had them at 35w5d and they were PERFECT [​IMG] No NICU and came home with me 4 days later [​IMG]

9. Eimear

Eimear Well-Known Member

Mine said he would try to stop labor until 34 weeks, after that he would only give steroids and bed rest to attempt to stop it but wouldn't medicate me. Not worried about cervix at this point either.

10. Joyful

Joyful Well-Known Member

My Dr. told me that she wouldn't stop labor after 34 weeks, however, when I went into labor at 34 weeks exactly she stopped the labor and I held off delivering until 37 weeks. It was good for me, my babies were small 5lbs 7oz and 4lbs 14oz. I am greatful to have been able to carry them longer but by 34 weeks the babies are usually developed and healthy to be born. Your babies will do great [​IMG] Good Luck

11. jcs

jcs Well-Known Member

same here - my ob said she would not stop labor after 34 weeks. I have not had the steroid shots, so I hope their lungs are well-developed by 34 weeks! (this Thurs.)
    Making it past 32 weeks is great - many twins are born 33-35 weeks and have few or no problems. Try not to worry!
    jcs

12. Mommyof 2tg and 1ds

Mommyof 2tg and 1ds Well-Known Member

When I was pregnant I was told the same. Twins tend to develop faster and slow at the end, unlike singletons that gain 1/2lb a week in the last month. My 32 week u/s showed the girls at 4.5 lbs each, 6 weeks later when they arrived, Manda weighed 5lbs 10oz, Sydney weighed 6lbs 3ozs, so not a huge gain those last 6 weeks.