33 Weeks preggo with Twins, Preeclampsia need some help!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by BigKyle, Mar 17, 2009.

1. BigKyle

BigKyle Active Member

Hey every body, my GF is 33 weeks (today) pregnant with twin boys!

But she has been on bed rest the past 5 days in the hospital.

We went to the Dr's office for our normal 2 week check up, they noticed she had some swelling and high blood pressure... they sent us up to get a non stress test, it was showing she was having contractions...

So long story short, they sent up to a near by hospital who specializes in preemies and multiple births, which is great!

they where monitoring her 24 hours for 3 days... her blood pressure settled, and her contractions stopped! But her platelets where low (80's), they gave her the steroid shot to help mature the babies lungs!

They switched rooms to the maternity side because they are keeping her till she delivers...
    But her platelets keep dropping...

80 to 62 now, there at 52!!

The are starting to give her steroid pills to help get her platelets back up!

I just don’t know much about what is going on, and I try to read about it online, but it’s all quite technical for me.

I would like to relax her and keep her calm, what can I talk to her about... what is she looking at, or is there anything we can do?

I just want to know how serious this is… and if there’s anything I can do to help, or at least info to get back to her with to comfort her.

they Twins are good size, as of a few days ago twin A was 4 lbs 11 oz and B was 4 lbs 4 oz…

we are scared to have them be in the NICU for a long time, it will be sad to not go home with them…

any words of experience will help, it’s a big help being able to get this off my chest, I’m trying not to stress her about, because i don’t want her blood pressure to rise!

Thanks for your time!
    -Kyle

2. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

Welcome to TS Kyle! Sorry to hear that you guys are going through bedrest. It really sucks. I wish I knew more about preeclampsia to help you. Here is a thread that gives some Pre-E stories. I can tell you that your twins are good weights and 33 weeks is awesome!!! Mine were born at 31.5, they weighed 3lb10oz and 4lb1oz, and they spent 30 days in the NICU. I hope she improves and is able to carry them a little longer. You have support here either way. :grouphug:

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

What a nice BF you are! My boys were born at 33 weeks and spent 4 weeks in the NICU. I'm not going to lie, it was the hardest month of my life, but they are now happy, healthy 18 month old boys! The steroid shots are important so I'm glad she got them. Can you get her access to a computer?? She'd find a lot of support here.

4. BigKyle

BigKyle Active Member

Ya I have been spending as much time with her here as possible the hospital we are at is about 2 hours from both our families so it's rough for visitors... So I hate to leave her alone.. But I'll get her my laptop to use hopefully it will kill some time for her while I have to work..

For now it's just my iPhone
    Thanks for the replies
    -Kyle

5. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

i understand...im in the hospital now at 24 weeks with pre-e. I was told that i can't leave til i deliver. I also recieved my steriod shots starting today. be thankful that you are in a better condition than myself. Your boys are further along and their survival rate is wonderful. I know it's hard, but don't worry about the babies...they are good. Pre-e is something that affects the mother and the way to make her better is to deliver them. BUt they will leave them in as long as possible for their best intrest...both the babies and your girlfriends. Good luck and see if the hospital has a loner laptop program. I'm on mine now while being monitored for both of my girls..

6. BigKyle

BigKyle Active Member

Well our two boys joined us on the 20th

Baby A : Aiden is 4 lbs 9oz and 17 and 1/2 inches long
    Baby B : Landen is 4lbs 13oz and 17 and 1/2 inches long too!!

Both where breathing fine no problems!

and are eating, and pooping fine! on 10 CC's every 3 hours!

My Girlfriend is doing much better!

shes a little sore, she did one, Vaginaly and the other had to be taken out via C-Section,

but she gets to come home tomarrow!

hopefully our boys wont need to say to to long, the hospital is about an hour and 30 min away so, its goign to be a long trip every day to see them!

Thanks for your support guys!

7. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

congrats on your boys! I am sure that they are in the best hands. And your GF's bp should be back to normal....

8. lewis514

lewis514 Well-Known Member

Congrats to you and your GF! Best of Luck!

9. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Those are great weights! Thanks for updating us and make sure your GF comes to visit us for all her questions during her first year as a twin mom and beyond! We even have a NICU support forum (if your boys are in there)!