34w2d Growth Scan & Low Platelet Count

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ajg18, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ajg18

ajg18 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I had a scan last week at 34w2d and Baby A was 4lbs8oz and B was 4lbs5oz. That seemed small to me for 34+ weeks. It's 27th and 22nd percentiles. I know these are just estimates, but I really want them to be big! Do these weights sound okay to you?

Also, apparently in a blood screen, my OB found my platelet count to be low. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to a hematologist at some point to have it checked out, but it's worrying me a bit.

Thanks,
    AJ
    34w4d with b/g twins

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I dont think they are too small, in the last few weeks most babes gain about a lb a week. If your OB wasnt concerned then I wouldnt worry. One of my friends had low platelets while pregnant with her last. She was monitered bi weekly and after she gave birth they came back up on their own. She was tired however because of it. I am sure it is nothing to worry about.

3. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

I agree, I don't think they sound small ~ if your OB was worried about their progression I would imagine they would discuss with you.
    Hang in there :hug: Get lots of rest & stay hydrated!

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think they sound small either. Hang in there. :hug:

5. rainbabies09

rainbabies09 Member

As long as your babies have stayed on their growth curve- it's alright. I am always worrying about the size of mine too- always in the high 20th percentile for both. But with a percentile curve, there will always be babies in at every point- it's the definition of a percentile. The percentiles are also including ALL babies, and in recent years singleton babies have gotten bigger. Many single babies are 8+ pounds-- when I was born I was only 6 and change and considered average. It also has to do with how big you/your partner are and how big you were as a baby.

6. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

Those weights sound fine. Measurements are often off. My boys were born at 34+ weeks and they were supposed to be about 5 and 4 something. They were actually 6 lbs and 5 lbs 4 oz.

7. kbaldwin

kbaldwin Well-Known Member

I just wanted to chime in about platelets, as in my previous (singleton) pregnancy my numbers bounced down and around a bit before plunging to only 40,000 (normal is above 140,000) at 37 weeks, at which point I had more testing to confirm HELLP syndrome and was thus immediately induced. (My son was also on the small side, which they believe was at least partly caused by HELLP.) At almost 29 weeks with twins, I've been having my OB test my platelets regularly, and they're already starting to drop (at 27 weeks), which makes me nervous, though she also said that this can happen during pregnancy without the situation progressing as far as HELLP, which is a VERY dangerous condition. I don't mean to scare you, but you might want to ask that your platelet level be checked again soon -- but the good news is that you're getting so close to delivery time that this issue might not end up mattering much. Good luck! :)

8. ajg18

ajg18 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I know that as long as the twins are on the curve and not smaller than 10th percentile, we don't need to worry about size, but with the platelet news, I am kind of nervous of having to deliver very soon and having them need a lot of NICU time. I suppose I just need to take it day by day at this point and try not to stress TOO much.

twinsofar - Thanks for sharing your experience. My doctors definitely want to test my platelets again very soon. I guess they've gone down from 140K to 102K over the past 8 months or so, which is a pretty slow decline, but I know it can speed up in the later weeks. I'm definitely relieved to be so far into the pregnancy so if they do go precipitously lower, we can take babies out and not worry too much. Question: since yours were so low (40K), could you not have an epidural during delivery? That's what my OB told me.

9. kbaldwin

twinsofar - Thanks for sharing your experience. My doctors definitely want to test my platelets again very soon. I guess they've gone down from 140K to 102K over the past 8 months or so, which is a pretty slow decline, but I know it can speed up in the later weeks. I'm definitely relieved to be so far into the pregnancy so if they do go precipitously lower, we can take babies out and not worry too much. Question: since yours were so low (40K), could you not have an epidural during delivery? That's what my OB told me.
    [/quote]

I'm glad to be able to help! Mine recently went from 130,000 to 107,000, but over the course of only a month. The scary thing is that in my previous pregnancy they were a little above 100,000 or so before they completely crashed in a matter of weeks. And to answer your question, I was indeed told that I could NOT have an epidural -- if I had to be rolled in for a C-section, I would have had to have been put under general anesthesia (though I don't remember the exact reasoning). However, they didn't get the platelet transfusion together before I delivered vaginally -- my induced labor was lightning fast, especially for a first birth! Later my midwife told me that often babies in such distress will pretty much fly out, if your body is ready (and at 37 weeks, my cervix was well thinned and a bit dilated). So, it really wasn't all that bad in the end, but I will keep my fingers crossed that your platelets stay stable!

10. ajg18

ajg18 Well-Known Member

According to my OB, the reason that they won't do an epi below 50K is because they worry about bleeding in the cavity where they put it in the catheter. Sounds like you had such a good (and fast) delivery experience, all things considered. And you'll be monitored very closely now, I imagine.

I got an appointment with a hematologist (at my OB's request) for Monday and they will do bloodwork then, so only 4-5 days will have gone by since the last platelet count. I'm assuming that's okay? I hope they stay the same too!

Thanks so much for all the info! I guess some people must just be prone to this type of thing.

11. kbaldwin

QUOTE(ajg18 @ Jun 26 2009, 04:37 PM) [snapback]1370339[/snapback]
    According to my OB, the reason that they won't do an epi below 50K is because they worry about bleeding in the cavity where they put it in the catheter. Sounds like you had such a good (and fast) delivery experience, all things considered. And you'll be monitored very closely now, I imagine.

I got an appointment with a hematologist (at my OB's request) for Monday and they will do bloodwork then, so only 4-5 days will have gone by since the last platelet count. I'm assuming that's okay? I hope they stay the same too!

Thanks so much for all the info! I guess some people must just be prone to this type of thing.

Ah, bleeding in the catheter cavity makes sense! That whole night was such a whirlwind rollercoaster I kind of forgot some parts. ;) I've read that first pregnancies are more prone to HELLP than subsequent ones (for whatever reason), and for some reason my OB thinks it's unlikely that I'll develop it again, but my platelet counts aren't exactly reassuring.... let's both just keep on top of it! Good luck with your hematologist appt next week!

12. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

my girls were born at 34 and 1day. Jazz was 4lbs 9oz so i don't think yours are too small