35 weeks and 4 cm dilated-how much longer?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by sawyerkustomz, May 23, 2007.

1. sawyerkustomz

sawyerkustomz Member

I just had my 35 week appt today and I am 4 cm dilated. Last week I was 2cm and prescribed modified bedrest. Since then, I've only felt 2 or 3 contractions a day but somehow, I'm now 4 cm dilated. I'm shocked because I really have no pain and feeling only very minor pressure down there. I'm kind've scared they're going to come so quick I barely make it to the hospital. I'm surprised they didn't send me to l&d right then and there. Has anyone else been in a similar situation??

2. 2BMommyof2

2BMommyof2 Well-Known Member

No, I'm not dilated and these are my first children, so I have not encountered this before. I too am shocked that they didn't send you to L&D if you are 4 cm. That seems like a lot of progression, but as I mentioned, I really don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject. Good luck to you! If you don't make it much longer, 35 weeks is a great accomplishment!

3. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

wow! 4 cm is pretty far if you ask me. You can get an epidural at 4 cm in most places! I would pay very close attention to what's going on with your body because it is going to be anytime. With my 1st pregnancy (not the twins) I was dialated to 3cm at the OB on Friday and I went into labor on Sunday AM. I got to the hospital at 4cm.

Good luck!! The babies are coming! :yahoo:

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

I agree, I am surprised they didn't keep you at 4cm! Did they hook you up to the monitors to see if you were contracting?

5. sawyerkustomz

sawyerkustomz Member

I was having some contractions when I was hooked up to the nst but only 1 that I actually felt. My dr isn't around this weekend and I'll probably go into labor and they'll be delivered by a dr I don't know which is fine as long as they get here. I just feel like my dr knows me and my situation best and she feels comfortable trying for a vaginal and if I get another dr, they might just say c-section regardless of babies positions.
    I'm just shocked that I am 4 cm and pain free and walking around with only minor contractions now and then-I've had a baby before and that certainly wasn't the case then-I was begging for an epidural at 5cm!

6. stbmo4

stbmo4 Well-Known Member

I definatly hope everything goes well for you and that you make it to the hospital in time. But just wanted to share a different version of the story with you.....

A very good friend of mine was 4cm dilated with her first pregnancy (singleton) at 36 weeks. Doc wouldn't do anything to get things started until 38 weeks. Well she went to 38 weeks and thought that she would give it another week to see if she could go one her own.....She wound up being induced at 39 weeks, still 4cm dilated!

7. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

To counter that previous story... a friend of mine recently had her singleton.. she was 3 cm dilated for about 10 days, then she was a 4 on a friday...and had her baby very early Sunday morning. I would guess that you have less than a week left... perhaps even this weekend. I too would be very careful..you don't want to have them at home! Hopefully your water breaks as a clear sign to you that it's the point of no return!

8. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I was dilated to a 4 for 2 weeks. No pain, and was finally induced. I thought for sure I would go into labor anytime...but it never happened. once they induced me my labor was really quick, and the birth was great. good luck!

Reyna

9. sawyerkustomz

sawyerkustomz Member

Well, I was having lots of contractions yesterday, not regular though, so I called the dr, went in and stayed overnight but they went away so now I am back to strict bedrest. I hate playing the guessing game with contractions so I hope when I do go into labor, my water breaks so I know for sure. Good news is that both twins are head down