35 weeks and itchy belly

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by charityhope611, Aug 4, 2009.

1. charityhope611

charityhope611 Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness about 3 days ago my belly got really itchy. I have a lot of stretch marks so I guess it is just from those and my skin stretching. I was wondering too if I was getting some kind of rash. It is bad though, day/night, and you can't scratch it since your skin is so tender from the stretch marks. I have been using vit E oil and putting lotion on every time when I get up in the middle of the night. It doesn't really help, but I am still doing it!

I go to the dr tomorrow for my 35 week visit, so I am going to ask her about it. Just wondering if any of you ladies have experienced this and if you used some type of cream or soaked or took something. I feel like I need to drink some benedryl!! (not going to though)

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

Could be PUPPS...I got it around that time too and it's a big pain the butt! You can have the doctor prescribe you some cream, but it won't go away until after you have the babies. I tried bunches of cream and none of them worked. I took a lot of showers with oatmeal, weird I know, but it help for a tiny bit. Oh and I did take benedryl, but it made me sleepy. It's perfectly safe to take during pregnancy.

3. bethst

bethst Active Member

This may sound strange and grose, but it worked for me. There is something called vagicane that women use to relieve the itchness from a yeast infection. It is safe to use( my ob is the one to try it) Its over the counter, and generic so its really cheap. Every drug store carries a form of it( the name changes from drug store to drug store. just an idea to try.

4. fahrenheit79

fahrenheit79 Well-Known Member

My stretch marks itch from time to time, and what works for me is J&J Baby Lotion!!!! I've tried everything else, and only the baby lotion has relieved the itchiness. Interestingly it does contain vit E.. LOL... Good luck to you!

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hopefully it's not the PUPPPS. :shok: Currently I use Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap (started 3xs a day, now at 2) which you should be able to get at Whole Foods & my favorite thing to slather on currently is Vicks Vapo-Rub. You can take Benadryl, the pp is correct, but I found I needed something stronger, which I take every 6 hours (wears off after 5).

Good luck!

Michelle

[​IMG]

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I had PUPPPS and it started on a stretch mark! Not fun. I found that cold compresses worked well. Drape a cold wet wash cloth over your belly. The doctor gave me a cream that worked, but took a few days to kick in and it spread faster than that, so once one part of me started to feel better, another was itching. But I delivered at 35 weeks. So hopefully you won't have to endure it long.

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:gah: I had the itchy belly syndrome and it sucked!! My OB told me to put corizone on it and it did help a bit but not nearly as much as I would have wanted. :blush: I know that one night while I was sleeping I itched my belly on bare skin and the next day I looked like freddy kruger got to me. :rolleyes: I hope your doctor gives you something that works.

8. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

From probably 30 weeks onward, my entire body itched. It drove me absolutely insane. I got about four hours of sleep a night and spent the rest of the time watching TV and scratching. On hospital bedrest around 34 weeks, I scratched my leg so much it started to bleed! They didn't have anything to give me. The good news is, it went away pretty much instantly after I delivered at 35 weeks. I hope they can find something to give you some relief!

9. charityhope611

First off, thank you ladies for all your help and advise!!

Went to the dr yesterday and she said it looks like Pupps. OH JOY! It seems to be getting worse everyday, still just on my belly and started in my stretch marks, starting so see more little bumbs. Now I am going to be a freak about scratching and washing my hands so i don't spread it even further. It is terrible, as you can see I am up at 3am, that isn't normal, I NEED TO SLEEP! It is like I can't do anything but think about being uncomfortable and scratching and itching, AHH I want to scream! Dr said I could use 1% hydrocortisone and benadryl at night. Well the benadryl didn't do a think and the cream hasn't done much either. I have been putting lotion on too so i don't scratch.

Michelle you said you use Grandpa's pine tar soap, I might try that. It is making it a little better? Also oatmeal wash is that baby wash or do you get it in the regular body wash and lotion section?

I pray this doesn't get worse, but as I was reading doesn't look like it is going to go away until delivery at least! Wow, okay well 35 weeks and 1 day, I can do this! What a wimp I know!

Thanks for listening to my 3am ramble!

10. cheezewhiz24

I'm actually starting to think of myself as a relative success story. I'm probably 90% better or recovered from the PUPPPS. :Clap: You have my complete sympathy that you have it! My docs were pretty unhelpful, too- Benadryl did not work, really for me, either. I was put on Atarax (Hydroxyzine Hydrochoride) which I was too nervous to take, initially. I asked another OB about it & my peri before I could bear the idea. Since our babies are not in the first trimester, they think it's fine. I finally broke down one day & decided to take it every 6 hours (the recommended dosing) along with my other "treatments", better described below.

However, I did start researching natural remedies on my own & Naomi's PUPPPS Page to be the best site on the web, informationally. I tried Calamine lotion (it doesn't have to be pink anymore! :woo: )aloe vera lotion, ice packs, Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap (started with 3 baths a day, now down to 2- I felt like I had OCD, getting in the tub that much!!! :rofl: ) & my absolute favorite: Vicks Vapo Rub. There's another product that the page highly recommends, it's either called Sarnia or Respite, but it was more than $10 & I was buying other items, so I didn't want to spend the money, initially, then later found out it has the same active ingredients as the Vicks- Camphor & Menthol). The oat baths I started with I bought the stuff in the "pampered lady" section of the grocery store- it's for adults and kids. I think I got the generic Aveeno stuff.

You may also try buying an aloe plant, cutting the leaves and slathering that on yourself- I've heard good things & it's all natural.

Now I'm feeling pretty good about the PUPPPS. I used to get more attacks when I'd go out in heat- it's 95 in Denver today & I'm staying in during the day, if possible. Also, stress caused more attacks- so when I called my boss about cervical shortening, I scratched like CRAZY during the call! :hush: For the past 2 days, I have used the Atarax intermittantly & put Vicks just where it itches and feel really good.

I hope you feel better soon- initially I thought being pregnant with twins was hard. Turns out it could get much worse- GD PUPPPS! :grr:

Michelle

33 weeks & 1 day with di/di boys

HYDROXYZINE HYDROCHLORIDE - ORAL

11. arkie

arkie Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this works or not, but I was told by the nursing teacher at our school that you can use plain yogurt to releive itching. I remember this because she told me when I was prego with my son, I had really itchy breasts at night when I took off my bra, but it never got so bad that I tried her yogurt trick.
    If your leaking milk already that could be a saviour too! It has natural antibodies in it. I used it on my son' s eye redness and it would clear up in a hour, or if he got a butt rash! Breast milk is really amazing, I saw a documentary where they have done studies on men who have colon cancer and they drink 4 oz a day has stopped it in its tracks.
    Anyway good luck an itchy stomach sounds like tourture! Hope you get some relief and most importantly a good night sleep mom! :faint:

12. charityhope611

Thanks ladies, I am finally going to the store to stock up on some of these items, last night was rough! I woke up a few times and wanted to freak out and scratch. I had to go get the ice pack out of the freezer, only for a few seconds on each place.. it helps a little temporarily so I don't dig holes in my skin, AHHHH!! Made a list, going to try some new stuff! Have a great day, I will let you know how it goes! 35w3d, 20 days until my scheduled date..

13. charityhope611

It is still just on my belly but spreading upward some.. stop stop!!!

I got some different oatmeal body wash and also Aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath.. it helps very slightly but I think mentally makes me feel better, like I am doing something. I tried the vicks vapor rub, it did work for about an hour, but then I was back to itching. When it gets too bad and I freak out and want to itch I have to grab an ice pack of some kind. It was so bad today after church were in a restaurant and I went up and asked for some kind of bag with ice.. I didn't even care, it was sooo bad! I still want to go get the grandpa's pine tar soap, and tomorrow I see my OB and going to see if there is anything they can prescribe. 19 more days until my scheduled date!! or could be less time!! 35w4d..

How soon after you delivered did the puppps rash go away or at least get a little better? Also did any of you get a csection and did that make it worse?

14. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

I got stung by a wasp and found that the benadryl topical didn't do much (my OB said not to take my usual, Claritin, if I could manage without it), the only thing I found to stop the itching was Polysporin cream with the local anaesthetic (they have different versions, you have to read the box to find out which is the right one). She had also suggested a facial mask or baking soda paste, left to dry. Since you've probably got lots of belly, you could try different things in different places :lol:

15. charityhope611

So it is getting worse, I got maybe 2 hours of sleep last night! grr

I got the Grandpa's pine tar soap today and used it once this evening so far, I will let you know how that goes.
    Also dr prescribed the Atarax, I took a pill about an hour ago so we will see if it helps too. Anything to get some relief and maybe some rest! Let me know if you ladies have any other ideas, I am ready to try anything!

16. cheezewhiz24

Oh dear. :shok: It's the worst at night when you want to sleep, but can't fall asleep b/c you have to scratch yourself silly- or you wake up itchy! I took those baths, scrubbing on the Pine Tar Soap 3xs a day at first. Whenever I started feeling itchy (usually about an hour before the Atarax wore off) it was tub time, then I'd usually have relief for a little bit until I could take the next dose. You can try the Calamine Lotion & aloe vera- I tried bottled aloe and it felt nice until it dried, but have heared that an aloe leaf cut open is much more effective. Also, don't use fans- use a/c if you have it. The feeling of air blowing across you can make you itchy. I drove my DH CRAZY with the a/c- it'd be 65 degrees at night outside & I had to have the air on! :lol: Another tip: DON'T leave the house without bringing something that gives you some relief. Whatever substance works for you for any length of time- keep it with you.

I had some great results by taking the Atarax every time I could for about 4 days, slathering on the Vicks (& if I felt like changing it up, anything else I've previously mentioned) & taking baths. I now use the soap twice a day, don't need the Atarax anymore (occasionally I still take it if I feel that something may make me itch- like stress or if I can't get to a tub late at night), & today haven't used the Vicks at all. My PUPPPS covered my legs & to a lesser extent, belly & arms. They are completely gone on my legs, mostly gone on my arms & belly. I would say I'm 95% better. A last thing that you may try- I was so miserable that a couple of friends (I didn't know this at the time) prayed that I would have complete healing. I do think it's a miracle that this condition usually only lets up about a week after they are born, yet I am pretty well "cured"- I can use fans now, my DH got laid off on Friday, unexpectedly- & I did NOT have an attack. I itch still, occasionally, but it's nonexistent to what it was- it's a gentle thing, not a crazed obsession.

Sorry if I have repeated myself, but I sympathize with you so much- it was 2 weeks ago that I was begging for refills on the Atarax. I will be thinking of you!

Michelle

[​IMG]

17. charityhope611

Michelle, thanks so much for all your help and ideas! The Atarax is okay, makes me feel druggie and I still scratch which then makes my belly hurt. I am using the pine tar soap now.. about 3 times yesterday and then once so far this morning, and man does that stuff stink. Also my mom just brought me over some clear caladryl lotion, so hopefully that will help too. I am praying too that this just heals up!! I am 36 weeks today so I know we will have these babies in another couple weeks or less! I just want to enjoy the pregnancy like I have been this whole time and stop worrying about this stinking rash!!

18. faerieprncs

faerieprncs Well-Known Member

i know this sounds crazy, but i had puppps too and this worked for me (after trying everything!!!!)...Dandelion Root Drops...you have to get the at a health food store...you mix some with warm water and drink it like a tea. It doesn't taste too bad. I can't remember how many drops you do, but a quick google search and I'm sure you can find it. I did it as a last resort, because I thought it sounded ridiculous, but I was pleasantly surprised when my PUPPS seemed to itch less after a day or two! Also, for more immediate relief, I really liked the Benadryl spray (it's in a little white bottle). I went through it pretty quickly because my PUPPS was on my belly, legs, arms, feet and hands!!! :(

The best news though: my PUPPS completely disappeared within 24 hours of delivering my girls! Hang in there! It is tough!!!\

Here are pictures of my rash in case you were curious:
    http://gibsonsurprise.blogspot.com/2009/07/bravery.html

19. charityhope611

I can't believe your girls are already a month old!! They are beautiful! Thank you, I will have to try that too, the drops, believe me nothing sounds crazy or ridiculous now, haha!! I will have to check out the spray benedryl too, I have the cream stuff but doesn't do much of anything. My belly is really sore today I am thinking I was scratching in my sleep way to much. I actually remember seeing your pics a while back and that is how I learned about pupps.. I felt so bad for you. Then when I started getting a couple bumps in a stretch mark and felt itchy I was like maybe it is pupps, hoping it wasn't. So now I actually understand and it is evil!!

I am so relieved to hear that it went away for you right after your daughters births!!

My belly literally feels like it is on fire now!