4.5 year old listening issues

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jen8675309, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

I don't post much, I'm more of a lurker :) but I need some advice. My girts are 4.5 (5 in October) and are going through a stage now where they are very stubborn and don't listen well (or retain that information for long!) They seem to get something stuck in their head and they are hell bent on doing that, regardless of what you say. Please tell me this is a phase and they will out grow it?! We've tried everything- positive reinforcement, time outs, toy/project take away, yelling (I don't want to be the parent that yells!!), everything! Any words of advice or words of encouragement are welcome!

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's a phase! Although it's a long one.

A very long one. :headbang:

No, seriously, it'll come and go. We're back on a not-listening kick, but for a few months they were doing really well. Are they going to K in the fall? If so, you'll need to start talking to them now about listening to their teachers. Both of my two have been to the principal's office for not listening last school year.

3. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

For us, I thought the not listening got better at 5, but we seem to be having problems again at 6 1/2. We just keep stressing the importance of being a good listener. I may have on occasion ignored them and then said it was because I wasn't listening! They don't like that at all and I explain that I also don't like it when they don't listen to me.

4. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this, I'm going nuts!!

I've found I've needed to go back to the methods I had when they were 2. Stop them, make sure they are focusing on me and checking up on them after each direction I give them.
    There is no more go pick up your toys, it's go put your blocks in the blocks box, then needing to check after each task...UGH!
    And today Christopher colored on my nightstand, REALLY???
    And Ryan pushed Christopher while Christopher was peeing and came to tell me C didn't pee in the potty.
    I can't seem to trust them alone as much as I could 6mths ago! They will be 5 in November and have one more year of preschool!

I am so hoping this passes!

5. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes!! 6.5 and it's like they no longer understand English...it's beyond aggravating. Fortunately they seem to listen better to anyone who is not a parent.