5 month napping schedule

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Marie_B, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Marie_B

Marie_B Well-Known Member

At 5 months how many times and how long do your babies nap?

My boys are currently on a 4-hou feeding schedule. They are sleeping through most nights. They take a 2 1/2 hour nap from 12 noon to 2:30pm. It's the 2 catnaps (between 9-10 am and 4-5pm) that are driving me insane and they won't nap at the same time too! HOw do I make them nap longer than 20-30 minutes and at the same time? Any tips would be appreciated!

2. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

I dont have many tips for you just wanted to let you know we are in the exact same boat. My 5 month olds are major 'cat nappers' all day and they WONT SLEEP at night (for the last two nights ) maybe a growth spurt?? Well I will be very interested in hearing all the advice you get!

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine did about a 2 hour nap at about 8:30 or 9am and then another around 1 or 2pm. Occasionally they would do a catnap around 5 for about a half hour but they eventually gave that one up on their own. You might try for the first capnap in the morning of letting them CIO for a bit to see if they will go back to sleep. We followed Healthy Sleep Habits by Weissbluth and it seemed to work itself out. Hope this helps.

Rachel

5. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

At 5 months mine were taking four 45-minute naps a day. Now at 6 months they're doing one long morning nap at 9:00 (1.5 hours or 2 hours on a good day) and then two naps later in the day (45 minutes to an hour at 1ish and 30 to 45 minutes around 4.) They go to bed at 6:30 or 7 and sleep 11 or 12 hours.

6. shannonfilteau

shannonfilteau Well-Known Member

I find the more they sleep during the day, the better they sleep at night (usually 3-4 naps including their catnap around 5ish before dinner/anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 1/2-3 hours per nap). My Mom thinks this is crazy, but it has always worked for us and I'm not messing w/ 10-12 hours at night for anything... She thinks if I keep them up they will sleep better: WRONG! I can see this when they are a bit older, but not for now. I let them sleep if they appear tired during the day and I also try my best to keep them on the same schedule as best I can. I know when she comes to visit and give me a break and let us get out for dinner/movie, she tries to keep them up, to try to prove me wrong, but after she leaves (if they have been put to bed by her)they always wake us and are all messed up that night...

7. jcs

jcs Well-Known Member

Mine are still on the same napping schedule now as at 5 months, it just kind of evolved and still works for them, might not for you:

6:30 bottle
    right back to bed for catnap/play in crib until
    8:30 breakfast
    10:30 nap one to two hours
    12:30 bottle
    2:30ish nap
    3:30 or 4:00 bottle
    6:00 begin bath, bottle, bed

Mine sleep through but we've found they can only stay up about 2 to 2.5 hours at a time, eat every 3 hours. So that drives the nap schedule.